Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha from Northeastern California
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  7:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Mahalo Nancy

Good news. I'll talk to Maria and see what she thinks is good with her too.

JC

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  10:01:11 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Jeff,

I use a light bait caster setup to surf fish with, I haven't learned to flyfish yet. If you sign me up for some lessons, I won't be late. How far is Cassell from San Jose anyway. Glenn Yoshioka, how weird is that? Did you turn him on to the site?

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  10:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Hey Auntie, do you have pictures of all those cool fish in Hawaii? I've never been scuba diving either. Allergies have kept me from pursuing an aquatic career. I'm allergic to sharks and other denizens of the ocean. A friend of mine is an animal husbandry technician in Monterey. He was a key player in the great white shark deal at the aquarium. I was a week away from getting to see a private viewing of a feeding session when they surprised everyone on the team and released the shark without a word to any of the staff members. They are getting prepared for another study and I hope I get to see it next time.

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  04:45:56 AM  Show Profile
Alohs!
Best pietures of fish are on postcards, but i'll scan some of my slides and transmit. You want pictures of sharks? I only have of horned sharks here. Best pix are those right before the Big Bite and are caought forever in the eyes of the diver... I hope to have pix off Molokai in July...
When you coming down? Kani ka Pila!!
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  06:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Aloha back

I haven't sent Glenn the site yet. I will today. Cassel is a bit of a haul. I used to figure 4.5 hours from the Lafayette (where my office was) when Maria and I still had the commuting marriage. Your friends talk about the zen of fishing is right on. You get much more successful when are focused and thinking like a river (or the surf).

Speaking of sharks, I went on a shark feed dive in Tahiti once. Such things are getting a bad rap these days--and probably for good reason--but it was awesome. I even have video from the dive. I didn't shoot it and the colors aren't the best, but it's still fun.

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  06:37:13 AM  Show Profile
I get one peetcha. One great white shark dat stay niele. Buggah need work. Shua sen um. Kani ka pila? We try. I let you know.

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  1:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Waddyathink, Jesse; whiner? He makes it sound like he lives in Idaho,or Alaska, or someplace REALLY isolated.

Welcome, Jeff. Have fun at camp, and make a joyful noise whenever and whereever you can.

Fly-fishers/slackers anywhere would just have to be friends of mine, especially those involved in ecological endeavors. I keep a couple salmon a year for smoking (yes, Kiwini, they are really hard to light), but everything else gets to swim again.
Hope to meet you sometime, your place or mine, or in between (or even at an angle, like in Hawai''i)

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  3:44:49 PM  Show Profile
Darn

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  07:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
OK Karl,

Point well taken; I do live only in California after all My dad spent most of his life on ships going back and forth to Alaska. Next to his adopted home of Ireland, Alaska was his favorite place. He hated Hawaii, though. No accounting for some people's tastes.

Hope we do get to meet. Compared to the Uncle Karl/Kiwini team though, afraid I'm a wallflower!

Aloha,

Jeff

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2005 :  11:11:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I'm a bit of a whiner when it comes to being isolated, but Karl has us beat when it comes to remoteness. The drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage for a concert requires extra gas, survival supplies and a big bore rifle for brown bears. I once drove six hours through a blizzard to get to Seattle for a workshop, but I whined as I drove an hour to see Keola Beamer in Spokane, Washington last Monday.
All we can do is participate in the music however our life allows us the time and the travel.

Edited by - hapakid on 05/14/2005 11:12:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  6:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Jeff,
I was only joking, of course. I fully understand the time constraints of business, hobbies, chidren, and distance. You seem to have some good reasources nearby, what twith the slack key preservationsociety being in your home town. Heck, I need to start a Slack Key Awarenes Society up here. And, you are really ont that far from a large number of other players, AND< you are now on this netowrk which should greatly enhance your ability to connect with others. Like, having one of us drive a little out of the way on a vacation to visit, or you doing the same when you do travel for any reason. Just mention your plans here and someone will invite you over, or invite themselves ove!
I would really be interested in knowing how you came about figuring out Kuu Lei Awapuhi in F wahine. I have my own story on that and I'd like to hear yours.
Just unlimbered the 5 weight yesterday for grayling. Got on nice bite, but on checking the fly, the hook had broken off....must have rusted over the winter, right where it was stuck in the cork. Anyway, gota few more nibbles on that one (it ws the only one i had with me) and called it quits.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  7:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Aloha, Karl!

No offence taken. I do have some great resources relatively nearby. And I can't seem to shake this slack key thing, so I will be finding more and more ways to utilize them. And you're right about this network, too. I have only started to scratch the surface of what's here. I was just now checking out Da Kine Gear, thinking about recording stuff. The breadth and depth of this network and its contributors is impressive. Was also reviewing some of the older threads today and looking at how many TPers have gotten together to kanikapila from all over the place just in the last 6 months. I suspect my family vacation trips will not be without a guitar anymore. Fortunately I think the days of toting the porta-crib around are over, so I'll just swap that out!

I'll share my Kuu Lei Awapuhi story sometime when my brain is fresher. There's not really too much there, but some interesting fumbling around in the process. It was the only song in my repertoire for a while; admittedly not the most typical of slack key style. That song totally captivated me about the time my first daughter was born (both the version on Beamer's Kolonahe album and the one on Hapa's first(?) album and the F wahine tuning just sucked me in. I used to sing her to sleep with that song every night.

I actually did get out fishing last week as well. Took friday off and met with a few friends--one of whom is a guide who specializes in the reach of the Sacramento River right below Shasta Lake. It is called Keswick Reservoir and based on the name and the fact that we were doing this in float tubes (I was borrowing one), I thought this was gonna be like lake fishing. Wrong-O. Lake Shasta had risen quite a bit in the last week with some late season storms we've had and they had just increased the flow through the "reservoir" to 19,000 cubic ft/second. It was more of a 4-ticket carnival ride than a fishing trip. Never landed one. One hook up. Fun though.

Mahalo to you and all TPers for the welcomes. I look forward to getting together wherever it works.

Jeff

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  04:03:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Back after a break to attend a wedding in MA and to catch up on the work I wasn't doing while back there. We went from winter to summer in NE CA while we were back east.

So Karl, what's your story about Kuu Lei Awapuhi? As I mentioned before, I fell in love with thte tune before I had ever tried any slack key tunings and started hunting around trying to figure out how to figure it out. I ordered a book that had several tunings (Keola and Mark's), but it didn't have the song. I tuned the guitar and put on the song and just started hunting around for the right sounds and likely fingerings. I think I figured out bits and pieces, but was hobbled by not having correct fingerings. Then I ordered the VHS tape that Keola put out several years back, which included Kuu Lei Awapuhi Mele Mele. In my ignorance I didn't know that those were not the same songs until the tape arrived. I listened incredulously a couple of times trying to figure out when it was gonna start sounding like the tune I needed. That tape did allow me to correct my fingerings though, and I went back to hunting around for the right sounds. Now I play the tune quite a bit and it sounds close enough to the any uncritical ears (the only kind I have listening to me here), but I'm sure I'll get lots of pointers at camp. I still love the song!

So there's mine, to the extent that I can remember. Please tell me yours.

How long are the days up there now? I spent over a year in Finland. I loved the summer days--and nights.

Aloha

Jeff

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  11:16:00 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Jeff!
Did you and Maria contact Tim about diving?? I talked to a guy at our dive shop who's actually dived there and I CAN"T wait!!!!!

Of course, I'm bouncing off walls/excited about Camp as a whole and the trip and everything!!!! Whew, good thing I don't have parents around trying to keep me under control!

Have you learned Ku'u Lei Awapuhi yet? If not, e-mail Marzullo and see if he can help you. He plays and sings it very well. You know how to e-mail? click on his name where he's posted (Ukulele etc) and then when you get his bio page, click on "send e-mail".
See you in 2 weeks and one day!!!
auntie n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  12:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Jeff,
I came across Ku'u Lei Awapuhi via Makana. Actually, I had heard it dozens of times on Keola's album, but he does it quite differently fromm Makana (or, chronologically, the other way around). Anyway, Makana's version just blew me away. In fact, i did not even realize it was the same tune as Keola's.
I fugure out a lot of stuff by ear, and what got me with his version was the very low base and the very high intro. I happened to have a guitar tuned to the F wahine (CFCGCE, low to high) as i had been learning some stuff off Keola's video. I figuredd out how to do the intro, then realized it was too high, so i tuned down to (I think) Eb wahine and voila! there it was. The booming bass notes the high tinkling intro. I had a fair idea of the fingereing for the rest of the song from having practiced the other Keola songs (Sanoe among others).
I recently got the first hapa CD and they play it much the same as Makana (again, i got that backwards).....ever notice that the definitive version of any particular song we know seems to be the first version we ever heard? This one was probably writtne in the 30s or 40s, but Makana will always be my first association with it. Even though i had heard Keola's first, i did not realize it was the same song!
That's my story, and I'm stickin to it
Now, if i could only sing along with it....

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000