Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha from Northeastern California
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  06:49:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Jeff,
As far as the light goes, we have 24 houirs of newspaper readinglight, about 20 hours of sun above horizon. Going fishing tonight for lake trout, start at 11pm, quit around 2am. Can see well enough to tie a flie on, and that place is 200 miles south of here
Got plenty skeeters, too.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  7:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Thanks, Karl. I'm listening to Makana's version as I write. I had not heard it before. Googled and downloaded the tune. I'd seen the album cover but wasn't familiar with his music.

Now that you mention it, I have to add to my story, before I can stick with it; I think my introduction to the tune came from two places at about the same time. Hapa's version (which is much closer to this one by Makana than Keola's) and Keola's. My ear was better able to get around Keola's version, but the more up-beat Hapa version captivated me at least as much and that is the version that allowed me to learn to sing it (the lyrics are included in the liner notes). What a great piece of music! Makana also brings the falsetto vocal styling into the mix.

Thanks again. I owe you one.

You're so right, by the way, about the primacy of the first version of a song that we hear and fall for. That's the keystone. Believe it or not my first experience with Gershwin's Summertime was a cover by Iggy Pop (I think it's on Lust for Life). I thought it was his! I didn't grow up with a lot of that music in the house... "And I would not be convicted by a jury of my peers..."

And while I'm at it: I mentioned summer time arrived quickly here. I fished one of my favorite lakes around here (more of a river fisher usually) when I got back from Massachusetts. I'd tried just a month ago, but most of the lake was still frozen over. My best day there ever. Between 15 and 20 rainbows and browns (average 16 inches) landed. More than 25 hooked and several more fooled into rising to the fly. I had the right bug and size dialed in.

Where are you in Alaska? High latitude summers are glorious! Yeah, got plenty a skeeters. I went backpacking in Lapland once. After great care setting up the tent and pitching in the gear we spent more than an hour killing mosquitos inside the tent before they were down to a number that would allow us to sleep.

Aloha

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  7:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Hey Nancy

As a matter of fact I emailed Tim just today. I too can hardly wait. Lot's to do before then, though.

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  9:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Jeff,
We live just outside Fairbanks, center-state.
Spent the weekend fishing for lakers in a local lake....they converge at the outlet to gobble up the salmon smolt returning down-river to the sea. Best fishing between midnight and 3am. Finicky bugger; you'd think by the way they thrash the surface when a gaggle of smolt come through that they wouold hit anyhing youthroew at them, but no....I only fond one pattern that worked at all. Got 5 first night, my son got two. We landed none last night, but two guys with spon gear were knocking them dead (actually they put them all back, too, but the caught at least a dozen in the two hours we wwere there.
Did get some great rainbow fishing in a nearby river, though, between our nightly forays for lakers. Got 9 between us, 14-16 inchers, great fight in fast water on cone head zuddlers.
Guess we should apologize to everyone else and carry this conversation on in private, eH?

I thought Sweet Baby James wqas written by Tom Rush!. First impressions. No Beattles or Dylan son g is as good as the originals, either. Well, maybe Dylan's "Senior" by Tim O[Brien.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000