Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 John Keawe Northern CA tour in July
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  4:14:25 PM  Show Profile
John and Hope will be performing at:

Thursday, July 14 --- 8pm, Don Quixote’s International Music Hall - Felton, Santa Cruz
Friday, July 15 --- 8pm, Wild Jane's Restaurant - Guerneville, CA (707) 869-3600
Saturday, July 16 --- 7:30pm, Freight & Salvage Coffee House - Berkeley, CA (510) 548-1761
Sunday, July 17 --- 7pm, The Center for the Arts - Grass Valley, CA (530) 274-8384

Hey gang, the time is here. Let's get a good Santa Cruz turnout at Don Quixote's and his Freight and Salvage show is always a kick.

See you there.

Mahalo,

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 07/11/2005 12:25:04 PM

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  1:23:09 PM  Show Profile
Dave,

Viewed from the Right Coast, Freight & Salvage is a Big Time Venue. Am I right? And the whole tour sounds like he is booked into serious places. This is like getting into Wolftrap outside of DC.

If correct, how did this come about? Is Slack Key becoming main stream? Or does John have a good agent? Or what?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  2:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Reid,

The only venue that's world class is The Freight and Salvage. John has always drawn well there. Don Quixote's is a great room. That's where Kevin started his tour. The name is a bit misleading, but I think it has the potential to become well known. Wild Jane's is a small bar. I haven't been there yet. The Grass Valley gig is also major for the area, but not quite on the map yet. Kevin blew that house away.

I don't know if Slack is any more popular than before, but we do get a lot of stuff coming through. Of course, flights to the Bay Area from the islands is reasonable. I can tell you that George Kahumoku has a couple big events going on this week end also. To be able to dovetail John with George is quite a treat.

I'm not really at liberty to discuss John's business model, but suffice it to say he's very indie. There's a local promoter that holds these venues and John just said "I'm coming". That plus a few dedicated volunteers to help he and Hope (and probably Naomi) along their way. I'm extremely honored that John asked me to road manage.

Put this altogether with the shows that Patrick Landeza produces and we're knee deep in Hawaiian music.

A hui hou,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  06:08:32 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Big Dog!

To finish off the notes about the mainland tour, after Grass Valley he goes home for a month, and then:

Thursday, August 18th - 7:30 PM, Shoreline Community College, Shoreline, WA
Friday, August 19th - 7:30 PM, Kalama High School Auditorium, Kalama, WA
Saturday, August 20th - 7:30 PM, Shedd Arts Institute, Eugene, Or.

Kalama is roughly midway between Seattle and Portland.

Puna
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2005 :  3:46:52 PM  Show Profile
I would like to post a hugh note of aloha to John, Hope and Naomi for allowing me to road manage the first three shows of the tour. Managing, much less having them in my home was and is a hugh honor. Lots of laughs. Lots of love. Lots of fun.

I would also like to thank KAPU radio and Uncle Bill in Watsonville for the radio time and promotion; Tim and his partner at the Aloha Island Grille in Santa Cruz for the wonderful promotion and ono grinds before the show; and all the wonderful folks who turned out for the great show at Don Quixote's in Felton. Next I'd like to thank Jim (JimC), Linda and Alison Cramer for opening up their house and aloha to us on our journey to Guerneville. You are very beautiful people. Also, thanks Ross for helping with merchandise and moral support.

My part of the tour ended last night after the Freight and Salvage show when I turned the Keawe's over to Cousin Cindy and Uncle Phil. Thank you so much and bless the rest of your journey.

Finally, and I can't say this enough, thank you John for having the faith in Mark Lennon and me by giving us the opportunity to open for you at Don Quixote's and the Freight. What a surprise. What an honor. I don't know if I've ever been more scared or played better than that. I love you all so much. Thank you Mark for the musical partnership and understanding, and to my wife Beverly for putting up with me and for the beautiful hula you danced last night.

Me hawai`i mai loko mai,

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000