Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Thumb pick difficulties.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  10:30:02 PM  Show Profile
I think it's the fit...
I've tried Zookies L 20 and L-30.
some medium Dunlop adn Nationals and also different large picks.
How do I find the Pick of my dreams?
Do I need to custom shape, and do I do It with a fingernail file?

They either feel too loose, or too tight, and the points sometimes are too much material...especially for a uke.

Can I use a Bow?
The pick would seem to be critical for some power in some types of playing...
strong lead like lines and rolls.
Still using bare fingernails for strumming and most rolls...
Help.

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  02:45:50 AM  Show Profile
I am sorry, but I have to laugh - mostly at myself - because I am undergoing the same kind of search. Dusty and Keith have helped out. This is about guitar, of course.

First, I thought that short was good. But, I was wrong. A longish "blade" is good, because you (I) won`t whack the part around the thumb into the strings. Dusty gave me a pick that is a little longer than a Zookie and it works well (as well as a newbie like me can make it). Moreover, it has a thumb hole that is made for human beings, not octopi. Unfortunately, its name is unknown. Dusty uses "Johnsons" which are really long and have properly sized thumb portions

I have a hole slew of dunlops and nationals and most don't work for me - usually to short and tight.

I learned that S, M, and L don't have anything to do with pick length but with width. M is just about right for a guitar.

Keith uses a Zookie M-20 and that works well for me, too, but the thumb "hole" is horribly tight and cuts off circulation totally - and I have small hands. The 20 degree twist is just right for the angle of the guitar ("classical" position)

The tightness is because makers expect you to be wizzzing across the strings and they don't want the pick to fall off. But, they are much too tight. Fred Kelly has a speed pick with a larger thumb hole that *could* work, but I don't like the blade shape.

I am going to put the Zookie into hot water and bend the thumb part out to loosen it up. Or try. Keith said that the twist on Zookies was first formed that way by players, and then Dunlop took it up.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mike Buchman
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  1:18:30 PM  Show Profile
These Sharktooth picks look a little wacky, but they are super comfortable and work realy well. I use the one that wraps with velcro (traditional). Give 'em a try! http://www.strum-n-comfort.com/pages/724638/index.htm

mike (no vested interest...)
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  05:35:55 AM  Show Profile
The thumbpick on the left is like the one I gave to Reid. It looks like a gold bridge design on it. It appears to be a "Golden Gate" brand. Check out the link: http://www.gtrheaven.com/picks_GoldenGate.htm.

The one on the right is the Johnson referred to by Reid. I like it better but the Golden Gate is good too.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  8:37:08 PM  Show Profile
I don't recall this brand...
I'll be on the lookout,
Thanks for pics.
Glad to hear my problems are shared, and presumably solveable.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 05/13/2005 04:30:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2005 :  06:36:37 AM  Show Profile
I like the John Pearse thumbpicks.

http://www.jpstrings.com/braccess.htm#VTpicks

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2005 :  4:22:36 PM  Show Profile
Both the Johnson and the Golden Gate seem to be a good start...
which hasn't always been the case with thumbpicks...!
trying on both uke and guitar...a good start...
and my thumbnail doesn't rattle the next string!

But there's still this rattle in my head, and a transmission from the Mother Ship.
Did they put in a chip?

Shipping out.

Let's go out and win this one for...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000