Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 GCEA vs. ADF#B ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ukupau
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  12:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ukupau's Homepage
I just purchased the Bob Brozman DVD, his National uke and music is tuned for ADF#B. His booklet also indicated this with tabular format in this key. The last part of the video was done in GCEA format.

I am just getting the GCEA chords down and was wondering if I need to do the same with ADF#B? What Uke's are tuned for ADF#B? I am just trying to grasp the concept between the two.

At least now I know that a "Finger roll" is not something one eat's

JohnF

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  1:07:07 PM  Show Profile
John,

Count the note intervals between each string.

G to C: 4
A to D: 4

C to E: 3
D to F#: 3

Uhhhhh.... Loook like there is a pattern there...you can do the rest.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2005 :  1:39:03 PM  Show Profile
John,

Reid's right. Bob is just tuning his uke a step higher. The relative finger positions will be the same as in GCEA.

FYI, on those National Resonator Ukes, Bob is 'tuning up' because they sound better. It means tighter strings, which in turn are able to better drive the cone. (the reso cone inside the uke). The strings sit on top of a wood 'biscuit', a bridge that is held against the resonator cone by string tension. That in turn 'drives' the cone and gives it that cool National Uke sound.

The above is most likely way too much info, but I SO remember being confused by 'relative' tunings when I was younger. Another example of this is what a lot of us use here for a 'taropatch' tuning. I and many others tune each string down one whole note. So a 'D' is now a 'C' etc. For open G tuning (Taropatch) the normal is
DGDGBD ... but when you drop each string a note.... CFCFAC

You play it exactly the same way. Chords are the same, positions are the same as in the higher Open G. It's just technically now in uhhh, 'F' instead of 'G'.

I've probably confused you more.

Cmdr 'it makes sense to me' Piffle

Cheers!

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Ukupau
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  1:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ukupau's Homepage
Once again thank you for the guidance.

Where does the pentatonic scale come into play here? Lets say a Uke strung Low G C E A. I was trying to understand the relationship between scales for G and A.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2005 :  1:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Use the same fingerings, on the G uke (usually called C tuning because of the one finger chord on the first string) you'll be in G. On the A uke (usually called D tuning for the same reason) you'll be in A. Everything has the same shape, fingering, pattern, except that the higher tuned uke is one whole step (two frets) higher. Play an F on the C tuning uke, it's a G on the D tuning uke. Play a G chord, same shape is an A.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Ukupau
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  05:57:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ukupau's Homepage
Ok, reading about Pentatonics online and I think I understand the concept.

Another question regarding GCEA tuning. I am about to to order a set of strings for my Lili'u and was asked weather or not I wanted the C (middle C) wound or nylon. What are the pro's and con's regarding each?

I like the Low G and I do have wound strings for that.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000