Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 George Kahumoku Jr. / Daniel Ho - Gardena, CA
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Island Legends
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  2:57:59 PM  Show Profile
SOLD OUT

Spend an evening of Hawai`ian music with George Kahumoku, Jr. at the LAVA BAR in Gardena. He will be joined by Daniel Ho.

Date: July 14, 2005 - Thursday
Show starts at 7:00 pm

LAVA BAR - It's at the old 'Hang Loose' location so look for the 'HANG LOOSE' sign
1130 W. Redondo Beach Blvd.
Gardena, CA 90247
Doors will open at 6:00 for dinner & seating... dinner & drinks will be served during show

FOR RESERVED SEATING & INFORMATION:
ISLAND LEGENDS
1451 W. Artesia Blvd., #12
Gardena, CA 90248
(310) 352 - 6333
$15 per person: cash or check, price does not include food or drinks
Seating: 56 for dining, 70 general

MENU: island fried chicken, Korean barbeque beef, chicken and beef teriyaki, chicken katsu, kalbi short ribs, Hawaiian spare ribs, beef curry, won tons, kalua lumpia, spam musubi, char siu, kalua and cabbage, ahi poke, pork lau lau and lomi lomi salmon.
FULL BAR

I know some of you were hoping for workshops but we couldn't fit them into the schedule.

Island Legends, LLC
Gardena, CA 90248
(310)352-6333

Edited by - Island Legends on 06/17/2005 11:21:55 AM

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  3:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi doug!

what level do you think the workshops would be?

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Island Legends
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  4:31:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Keith,
Not really sure yet. Depending on what venue we decide on, there might only be a performance by them.... a dinner show. I'll probably know more within a couple of days.

Until then
Doug

Island Legends, LLC
Gardena, CA 90248
(310)352-6333
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  7:17:08 PM  Show Profile
Aloha doug!!
Certainly Rachel will be interested. Give John a call. He's been wanting to do something like this and has some room at the shop. My guess is that he'll be very interested in a lesson too. I'll be getting back from Camp on the 6th, doubt I'd be ready for another lesson... John doesn't look at Taropatch.
n
still haven't found my lei needle.... see you soon.

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2005 :  05:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
I'd be interested if the level was intermediate to advanced and the size of the group was kept small.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2005 :  08:13:10 AM  Show Profile
Doug,
I would be interested in taking another ukulele workshop from Daniel. I attended the one in San Diego a few weeks ago. Although Daniel was still trying to cope with jet lag from Japan, and not having enough materials to hand out until a xerox machine was located and used -- he filled in the time with an up-close and personal concert of a few of his songs -- wish I had a video camera to record his fingers on the fretboard. I could slowly learn by imitation and repetition.

We had a very large turnout with many students at the beginner level and one professional entertainer in the back. He had many good points about playing position, developing sound technique, the difference between the types of finger strokes and their effects on tone, and starting with a knowledge of the C scale. We were not able to get beyond that because we ran out of time.

If you do it you would need to break up the experience levels. Have the beginner class and state the objectives of that class .

Then add a session on advanced accompaniment, improvisation, adding his tell tale stylings to a melody, and finger strength and dexterity exercises . Daniel is an exceptionally accomplished musician with an uncanny ability to make the complex -- comprehensible. His Kilauea tuning is deceptively simple yet supports a wide range of music styles from jazz to classical to hapa houle and Hawaiian.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  03:22:17 AM  Show Profile
WaaHoo!!
Sign me up!!!! I'll be by soon with the $$, and by the way I sent a life guard your way looking for an Ukulele - I think his name was Kyle.
mahalo!!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Island Legends
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  04:17:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi Auntie N

I think he came by the shop yesterday. He said he met a bunch of guys playing at the beach. He'll be back with his wife.

D

Island Legends, LLC
Gardena, CA 90248
(310)352-6333
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  11:04:26 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Doug!!
Do you have a flyer on e-mail suitable for distribution/forwarding?
Mahalo!
auntie -

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Island Legends
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  1:37:24 PM  Show Profile
auntie
just sent you a pdf file & a jpeg file. i hope one of them works
doug

Island Legends, LLC
Gardena, CA 90248
(310)352-6333
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  8:39:48 PM  Show Profile
MAhalo to Doug of Island Legends for Bringing Daniel and George to a local venue! The price was right, the food straight out of Hawaii/Gardena style, was delicious. George told lots of stories - ostensibly while Daniel was tuning, but at one point, Daniel just walked out and joined the folks in back to listen. When Nancy went up to dance hula, he talked so long she sat down again. But she danced beautifully when George finally finished talk story. His stories were a lot of fun and of course the music was wonderful. Way to go Doug - hope you are able to do it again!!
Mahalo nui!!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000