Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Two Slack Key Workshops in Bay Area
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  3:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Hi Gang,
This is my first venture back to the big big island in nine years. Richard at Gryphon Stringed Instruments has been kind enough to offer me a venue to hold two workshops. They are basically for intermediate and advanced players, If you can read tablature or nomenclature the course should be a breeze. My young daughter has been invited to study this summer at Stanford so I have to offset the costs. Hope to see some of you there.
Mahalo
Peter Medeiros

Slack Key Workshops
Kumu Peter Medeiros
Saturday, July 30, 2005

Gryphon
Stringed Instruments
211 Lambert Avenue
Palo Alto, California
650-493-2131
888- 493-2131

WORKSHOP 1: MODERN SLACK KEY METHODOLOGY

In this first workshop Peter will introduce you to a practical methodology to learning slack key quickly and correctly. In the old days knowledge of slack key was passed on by means of the oral tradition. As a genuine folk music learning how to play slack key would often take years. Although there were differences between each player's style of playing, there was certain consistency to the music being passed on, and common characteristics between tunings. Over the past forty years, Peter has been learning, teaching, composing and performing slack key and has created a modern slack key method.

Saturday, July 30, 2005 12:00 – 2:00 PM

WORKSHOP 2: THE ART OF IMPROVISATION IN SLACK KEY

As with other styles of guitar, the better slack key players have the ability within a song to improvise and create variations. This workshop will examine how to develop this skill through the concept of figures in slack key, fret board position, and simple fingering. The tunings used will be Taropatch, Drop C and Hanalei.

Saturday, July 30, 2005 2:30 – 4:30 PM

$35 per workshop

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  5:00:54 PM  Show Profile

Looks like some pretty good workshops. I will probably sign up for both!!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  6:18:07 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Peter,
Is there any chance that you might come a ways south? John Dietz has been interested in hosting a workshop at his place - Dietz Brothers Music. It's a school and store. We would have to explore the types of workshops that would be good here, but some of us would love to see you.
Mahalo,
nancy cook -
PS: Hope she enjoys Stanford as much as my son did - it's a nice area and much warmer than Boston.

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  08:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Aloha Nancy,

Maybe on another trip to the mainland, because of the costs we were only planning on the bay area. I would seriously consider it if I knew that there was enough interest to meet expenses. Usually the first weeks in August I'm preparing for the fall semester at UH.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  10:17:34 AM  Show Profile
Aloha and Mahalo!
I'll look into and see what it looks like here -
nancy

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2005 :  7:12:49 PM  Show Profile

Aloha Peter: Count me in, the workshops sound very fine.
Will you be performing in the Bay Area this trip? Please let us know, that would be an extra pleasure.
See you on July 30th.

cathe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000