Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 PBS Special
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  08:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Aloha, everyone.

I was channel surfing last pm and found the show "Kihoalu" on Hawaii PBS TV.

It was filmed ~ 1994 or so. Most of the greats were represented: Sonny, Uncle Ray, George, Ledward, and a few I'd never heard of.

Ray sure was in his prime then. He started picking out a tune I didn't recognize, and I thought, "Man, that's awesome! You go Ray!" Just when I thought it couldnt get any better, he started to sing. He has an awesome, soulful, vibratory voice that really digs into you.

The coolest thing about that song was watching Elodia watch Ray, with years of love clearly showing as she watched her husband play and sing. (its actually how they met, in fact.)

Seeing Ledward looking rather slender was odd....There was also a female guitarist who played the best 12 string slack I've ever heard.

You can purchase the tape from PBS. Its not instructional in the traditional sense---you probably wont learn much guitar from it--but is fun to watch and it gets to your heart. I highly recommend watching it if you can.

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  09:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
My guess is that the female playing the 12 string was Haunani Apoliona.

Does the program appear to be this one? Ki ho`alu - That's Slack Key

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2005 :  4:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
I happened to catch the program to. First time I saw it. It brought a tear to my eye seeing old friends and realizing how time flys. I also realize how quickly one can put on the pounds, man, I'm heading for the gym tomorrow :o) alohas ya'll...
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  05:48:43 AM  Show Profile
Yes, that was a re-broadcast of the great "Ki Ho`alu: That's Slack Key Guitar" film.

Fingerpickin -- if you can find that video for sale on the PBS site, would you please post the URL here? It is no longer available to retailers (waaaaah!), and many people want their own copy.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2005 :  3:44:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Hi guys,
The phone rang the other night. It was one of the Aunties here in Kona that I occasionally play music with. She said, "Konabob, quick turn on channel 10. You have to see this." I only caught the last three songs, but I watched the credits and realized that this was a big chunk of Big Island musical history. I have to get this show. I was thrilled to see a lot of guys from the Big Island. Many who are no longer here, and have either moved away or gone to that great gig in the sky.
I wrote to Studio on the Mountain Productions and got this response back.
-Konabob

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ki ho alu ,That’s Slack Key Guitar is $30. for each VHS video and $5 for
mailing. Just send a check to: Susan Friedman at Studio on the Mountain
Productions, 2850 Lobitos Creek Road, Half Moon Bay, Ca. 94019. It will
take about 2 weeks. Thanks for watching!

Best,

Susan Friedman ( Producer/Director)
Susan Friedman <whatisup @ earthlink.net>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Don Kaulia just sent me the following:

Aloha Kakou
Please check out our Island wide premiere on KITV 4 ABC this Monday
at 7 pm for the one hour Jazz Alley TV Special on MauiFEST Hawai'i Hana Style
from the Hotel Hana Maui, prime time.
Featuring: Brother Noland, Don Kaulia, Owana Salazar, Miss Aloha Hula, Keola Beamer,
the Hana Canoe Club, Paul Horn and all the beauty, Aloha and
Hawaiian Culture of Hana, Maui.
Airing Nationwide this summer through Viacom on the BET Jazz Network.

KITV.com
<www.jazzalleytv.com" target="_blank">http://www.jazzalleytv.com/>www.jazzalleytv.com
Jazz Alley TV-MauiFEST Hawai'i-Winner of the 2004
Event of the Year-Hawaiian Music Awards

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass

Edited by - Konabob on 05/28/2005 3:52:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2005 :  11:50:33 AM  Show Profile
We were priviledged to view the film "That's Slack Key" in Santa Cruz shortly after Susan Friedman finished it. We then heard a talk from Susan about the making of the film with questions and answers, followed by a Concert by Ray Kane. We managed to talk to both Ray and Elodia and Susan after the show. We had met Ray and Elodia in '95 at the Hilo Slack Key festival.

A wonderful memory...

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  07:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
For those in the Pacific NW, KBTC (Tacoma-based PBS station, ch. 12 in most areas) has this program on their schedule for airing on Sunday, June 12 at Midnight (technically Monday morning.)

Their schedule changes often, but that's what's in the program guide for now.
===Retro===
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  07:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I really like this video but it always killed me that they cut away to other visuals while Leonard Kwan was playing. I wish I could get my hands on some of that Uncle Leonard footage so that I could watch him play up close.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  04:43:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:
I wish I could get my hands on some of that Uncle Leonard footage so that I could watch him play up close.

Yeah, wouldn't it be great to see ALL of the raw footage.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000