Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 SoCAL JULY 4th KANIKAPILA BASH
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  04:39:01 AM  Show Profile
ATTENTION ALL (sdsks...)
July 4th, 11:30 till 10:00pm will be Sweet Leilani's Annual Family Luau in Fallbrook. My good friend, (fellow Puerto Rican) Frank hosts this event every year. Leelani's is an ice cream place in Bonsall.
Frank is also a caterer which means lots of good Hawaiian/Puerto Rican food. Its YUMMY & FREE, (my favorite kind as you know). Ron Mehls from Oahu w/ his dancers will be there, (Ron who?).
This event is for a good cause, generating donations for his autistic, parapalegic daughter. He offered to pay our SDSKS members for their time if they attend, but I mentioned we typically do it for free and would happily accepted limitless amounts of ono grinds for our playing.
Is anyone interested? if so, please let me know so I can get us on his R.S.V.P. list. Frank is a big fan of Hawaiian music and would love to hear Slack Key at his event. Stage, and sound system will be provided for us all.
Menu will include: Arros Con Gandules, Japanese curry w/ rice, Huli-Huli Chicken, Kalua Port(not Imu), Hawaiian BBQ ribs & teriyaki beef, more sticky rice, Chinese sttyle green beans, Hawaiian fresh made bread, Poi, Pot stickers, Chinese cabbage salad, spring rolls, Chinese pork fried rice, Leilani's ice cream, shave ice, brownies, haupia cake and more!! (whew!)
I've eaten his food before, and let me tell you, he cooks it just like back in the islands.
I know Fallbrook is quite a drive for most of you, but if we can get a few of us there it would be nice exposure for the SDSKS, as well, jamming for a good cause.
Sooooo, contact me y'all.

On a side note:
He will also be having a pre-Gourd festival event at the Welborn Gourd farm in Fallbrook on Saturday night June 25th, starting around 6:30pm if any slack key players are interested in that as well, let me know.
I think I'll have a small banner made which identifies us as the SDSKS for future events. Slack Key appears to be getting more exposure in SoCal lately.
Anyways I'm all pau now, see you at Bill's kanikapila.
-slkho

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  08:39:58 AM  Show Profile
Wow!! Sounds like lots of fun... but I'll still be on Maui...
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

bbenzel
Lokahi

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  12:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbenzel's Homepage
Hey, Vicki and I will come as long as it's OK to get away about 6:30 -- we got this fireworks tradition -- gotta get back to the beach before dark.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  12:45:36 PM  Show Profile
Sounds okay w/ me. I will count you & V in.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  05:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Rik,
I'll try to make it. I'll also see if Don still has the original SCSKS banner that we had mad for the concerts.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  1:50:59 PM  Show Profile
Cool, thanks Terry.
So far it looks like Bill & Vic, Ken, Keith, myself, and possibly you.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  04:48:24 AM  Show Profile
Heard from Don re the SCSKS banner. Seems that Linda mistakenly threw it out with the trash from the office move. Don said that he went into the dumpster - that they shared with Coco's restaurant, by the way- and couldn't find it. I'd like to have a video of him poking through the restaurant rejects looking for it.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  08:17:14 AM  Show Profile
Hey!, but at least the food was free!!
Thanks for checking...I'm trying to picture the visual. Yikes!! ha.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  4:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Is nothing private??
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  07:14:15 AM  Show Profile
Obviously some of us can't be trusted with good stories.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  2:23:38 PM  Show Profile
Well the July 'o 4th bash went well. Many thanks to Frank Westall for hosting such a lavish annual affair. Chunky Monkey and myself represented SCSKS with a good variety of tunes. Chunk played mostly wonderful John Keawe numbers, I played a mixed bag of stuff. Supplementing our debut was an artist by the name of Rob Mehls, (pronounced mail) He played some great music. Most of its influence seem to be from the Florida Keys style, (jamica/buffet/caribbean flavor) real nice stuff. He has played with, and will be recording with, some well known Hawaiian talent later this year.
Anyways, the crowd enjoyed our Slack-key flavor. Naturally, being a caterer, Frank provided us with LOTS OF FOOD...man it was ono.... I lady approached me, and asked if Chunk & I would like to play at a church luau in mid-August. I said of course we would. She offered to pay us, but once again, I insisted on FOOD as form of payment. (should be a plump summer for yours truly)
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  06:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Fortunately I've been able to talk my mortgage holder into accepting food as payment for my house. It's a good thing I'm wealthy and don't have to live on my music career earnings.
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  2:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Hey Guys

Are you saying people are throwing food at you? Hmmmmmmm
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  06:14:02 AM  Show Profile
I got to keep, and take home all the food I could catch!!
Yummmmmm
-slkho
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000