Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Most Beautiful Slack Key Piece?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2002 :  6:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I don't think I've heard a slack key piece I don't like, but there are certainly some that tug on my emotions more than others. At the top of my list at the moment:

La Paloma (Very romantic)
Pua Sadinia (Achingly beautiful)
E Ku`u Morning Dew (Simply stunning)

What pieces touch you the most? (Superlatives are optional!)

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 08/31/2002 20:40:41

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2002 :  8:10:56 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm .. where to start?

There are a couple I listen to when I get in a jam to remind me of why I'm even attemting to write music. I want others to feel what I feel when I hear:

'Imi Au Ia 'Oe (Beamer version from Mauna Kea),
Koke'e from Ledward Kaapana's Black Sand and
Leonard Kwan's Yellow Bird

I'm afraid I dont have enough time to list the other couple hundred I like!

Cheers!
- Greg
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  01:20:57 AM  Show Profile
There are about a dozn pieces I regularly go back to.
If I had to choose one, which is in some ways an interesting excercise, I think it would be the very first slack key song I ever heard, and which I save for "special times" when I need to hear something very special -- Beamer's Ku'u Lei Awapuhi found on Kolonahe
Raymond
San Jose

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  01:22:24 AM  Show Profile
Just gotta say it -- E Ku'u Morning Dew is my favorite Hawaiian song and I haven't found a slack key version that didn't move me.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  11:47:35 AM  Show Profile
"River Full of Flowers" on Doug & Sandy McMaster's In a Land Called Hanalei CD has to be my favorite; then E Ku'u Morning Dew.

----------
Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  8:22:04 PM  Show Profile
Mauna Loa by Gabby.

Peace,
--Pops

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2002 :  11:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
What pieces touch you the most?

that's a hard question! all the songs that have been mentioned are beautiful... just to add to the pot,

keola's "wai ulu" from his "soliloquy" album is near the top of my personal hit parade these days. there's a lot of beautiful songs on this album, which is my all time favorite's of keola's work.

gabby's "wai hu'ihu'i o ke aniani". this song always makes me want to dance, with gabby going wild in the chorus.

george kahumoku jr.s' "hawaiian war chant". he said that he wrote this version when he was playing at the hotels on maui. he wanted a song that would encourage people to look up from their dinners and see what the hell he was doing.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000