Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Keola Beamer instruction book
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paul Murdock
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  3:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Paul Murdock's Homepage
Hello. Reading the conversations regarding Leonard Kwan's instruction book led me to say that I have Keola Beamer's 1977
book, with the floppy record (which I've put on CD), if anyone
would like copies -- presuming sharing these isn't illegal or
inappropriate.

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  2:11:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Paul,

I would love to have a copy of both, BUT...

I suspect that even if they are out of print, they are not out of copyright. Since Keola Beamer is still performing and teaching, whoever owns that copyright, not necessarily Keola, may not be willing to waive his/her rights.

Now, make me feel bad at what I'm missing. What tunes are in it?

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 09/02/2002 14:15:47
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  4:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I'd second Pauline's caution about offering copies to any and all, even for free, since Keola and/or Music Sales (which took over the Oak catalog) almost certainly retain rights even to out of print material. Of course, there are situations where copying is OK: your making a CD backup copy of your own original copy of the record, for example, or using short sections as examples in an educational setting. I'm not sure what the answer would be in the case of someone with a used copy that's missing the record--would a cassette dupe be legal?

Ironically, I have a mint copy of book with the record, but they're on loan from a collection and I don't feel free to detach the record and listen to it. Drat.

BTW, Paul--I tried to e-mail you about this at the address in your profile (paolo1014 @ msn.com), but the message bounced with a "user unknown" note. Is there a typo there?

Edited by - Russell Letson on 09/02/2002 16:36:50
Go to Top of Page

richard
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  10:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit richard's Homepage
Does Keola's 1977 book vary from his 1973 book? The later is copyrighted by Beamer Hawaiiana, Inc., which I assume is Keola and Nona's copyright.

Edited by - richard on 09/02/2002 22:19:00
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2002 :  01:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
It's been a few months since I compared them, but my recollection is that the two books are the same, except for some minor differences in layout--essentially two editions of the same work.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000