Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Tahitian Slack Key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paul Murdock
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  3:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Paul Murdock's Homepage
Good afternoon. My first posting. Could anyone guide me to the
music/lyrics for "Garden of Paradise" as performed by Gabby Pahinui;
and, to a source for Tahitian slack key, which Ledward K. mentions, and which I've seen referred to a couple of other times.

Thank you.

P.S. This is the most knowledgeable discussion site I've seen. Glad
I found it.

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  6:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Aloha, Paul,

Where y'at in Louisiana? I was born in Shreveport, grew up in Alexandria, and had relatives in Lake Charles.

Fran (Guidry)

Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  11:39:35 PM  Show Profile
Paul,
Aloha !!! Welcome to the realm. Good to see we have the Southern Front supported now :) Tahitian Slack Key? To be honest the only mention of it I've heard is on HAPA's 'In the name of Love' Album...album, cd, disc, hell, am I dating myself?...anyway, On one of the songs Barry Flanagan plays what he called a 'Tahitian Banjo', which sounded like a high powered ukulele maybe in the key of F, but thats a guess, with an electric pickup. So to sum things up, I'm no help at all.
But.....I've a sweet collection (3) of Nationals....2 originals, and a 2000 Style O.....wanna talk Swamp Stomp? Delta Blues, Zydeco.....Life should revolve between delta blues and slack key. Then, it would be a perfect world. Delta blues to confront and spell out all that is essential in life, and Kiho'Alu to take it to the higher realm and hold tight the good, and disperse with the wind the un-needed. Okay, I'll shut up now.

So in other words, peace love and tye-dye
Mike

piffle
Go to Top of Page

Paul Murdock
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  3:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Paul Murdock's Homepage
Mike -- thanks for the reply re Tahitian music. The references to it
that I remember (one, I don't) is in the liner notes to Black Sand, song No. 6, Nui Papa, and No. 7, Tue Hey.

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  4:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Bell, faintly ringing...

There was a discussion of a slack key song and whether it was copyrighted on this forum. Mark Nelson said it was a Tahitian folk song.

From that thin evidence, maybe Tahitian slack key is Tahitian songs played in slack key style? Of course, they could also have borrowed the Hawaiians' style, just like this mainlander has.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  4:36:12 PM  Show Profile
That faint bell? Someone stuffed a sock in it or should have.

It was a Fijian folk song, "Isa Lei".

By the way, Paul, welcome to the forum.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  8:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Thanks for the bell...

For a Tahitian song played slack key style, see "Tiare Tahiti" in Keola's Mel Bay book.

BTW: I've heard about Tahitian slack key, but never heard any.

But I have heard Tongan slack key. Tomasi Tukuafu, a friend who lives in Ashland, Oregon, learned as a kid, then stopped for many years. He's recently taken it up again. According to Tomasi, it had pretty well died out even by the time he learned quite a few years ago.

He uses a wonderful F tuning; if memory serves the top three strings are E, C, G while the three bottom strings are Bb, F and C in some order or other. This gives you the bass for I, IV and V chords with no alternating bass.

I also heard someone play a tiny bit of a sadly lost and fractured version of Rarotongan slack key when I was there a couple of years ago. He was trying to remember what his grandfather played while walking down to the fishing boats at dawn, "Patapata maniata" -- "The Dawn Riff"" was how he translated it. Played out of a G TaroPatch type tuning, with ascending and descending melodic lines like what Aunty Alice Namakelua played.

There's a lot more out there, I'm sure.

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2002 :  12:19:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
It was a Fijian folk song, "Isa Lei".
This can be found in both of Keola's current instruction books (Mel Bay & Homespun/Hal Leonard). The Mel Bay version is easier to play, while the Homespun version is richer and more textured. Either way, it's a beautiful song.

Craig

P.S. Mark, I've been trying to email you but your email account is full.

Edited by - cpatch on 09/03/2002 13:36:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000