Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Fingers...the last joint etc.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  10:53:37 AM  Show Profile
I've had a great consult with my music P.T.
I initiate my r.h. finger rolls and string pulling from the 2nd joint..mostly.
She believes in more action that initiates with the 1st joint.
And she did this interesting exercise with and egg shaker, held in rh while picking...
So my current goal is to try less extreme and aggressive rh attack...
but still want to be a strong picker...
My overworked arm muscles...above and below elbow hopefully will be less iritated...in time.
Anyway, it appears I've been overly exerting in the name of "Big Sound".
Also, the use of the Golden Gate thumb pick has abated other rh buzz tendencies.

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  11:29:59 AM  Show Profile
An egg shaker?? OK, I know I've led a sheltered life.. is it like a darning egg? or more like humpty dumpty?
Thanks for the input.

auntie n

nancy cook

Edited by - Auntie Nancy on 06/05/2005 11:34:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  2:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha e Auntie,
Ya know, an Egg Shaker is an Amish Chicken. Karl is really working on nuance here.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  5:47:00 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Bwop, I'm just a local kid here in SoCal... Amish chicken??? And Kapila Kane is our old friend Gordon Burt... Karl is Monetti..... Geez, I haven't even picked up the simple nice Hawai'ian greetings.... Amish chicken.........????? Remember, I'm the one who didn't know what an altoid box is.... or how sheltered was my childhood? My kids died laughing at my expense when they were helping me and I kept telling them to just cut the cheese and we'd be ready to go, and all they could do was roll on the floor laughing at poor ignorant mom.....
Are you going to anyone's camp? if not, I've promised myself to head your direction one of these days...
old auntie ...

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  6:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha mai e Auntie,
Karl/Gordon-- it's all ohana to me. And, I need to tell you, the "Chico/Harpo" reference was Marx Brothers, not Geography. E kala mai, e mihi 'oe. I'm always at George's camp (chief tent-setter, etc.), and you should come this way sometime. George is playing here in July, and Ledward in September. Auwe!

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  04:28:24 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e!
I will meet you at Kahului on the 26th!! howsat? George will be here on the 14th before heading up your way. I have tix to see him, front and center. I am taking an 11 yr old who I took to his workshop here last month. He really liked her, and she him - She went to Kam Camp last year and is really interested in her heritage and culture. she's one of those youngsters who was probably born "all grown up".
But Ledward in September... now that's intriquing, especially since he's going north, not coming south.
We have a pretty cool ohana here, don't we? It was sure fun actually meeting Karl and listening to his nahenahe style - and he can tune a guitar without any "tools".
I'm leaving in 8 days - better get packing!! See you soon!!
aloha!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

alasdair
Aloha

Germany
22 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  08:16:40 AM  Show Profile
i tend to slow down after the 2nd joint

:P

apologies.. couldn't pass that one up..

al

ps.
regardless of your political conviction i hope everyone's aware of
bill HR 1528 up for vote this week and is taking appropriate action
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2005 :  5:50:48 PM  Show Profile
Unless I am mistaken... Karl gets the Marx and Bwop is left holding the rubber (uhhh... Amish) Chicken, unless, of course, everything goes up in smoke after HR 1528 and the second joint. There is egg here on someone's face (or at least in their rh) and it must be SHAKEN, not STIRRED.

So is everything fully understood??

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 06/06/2005 8:21:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  04:49:05 AM  Show Profile
What's a nice joint like you doing in a place like this? And according to the Supreme Court, the Feds are in charge of all the joints.

Peace, Love and Flower Power y'all

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2005 :  11:24:21 PM  Show Profile
of course, the new style of federal government is to not interfere...unless it's one of their psycho issues...then that ol states rights credo goes out the window...
When the reins of power swing back, you can bet someone will be complainin about the feds meddlin'.

Anyway, stay active and vocal...
never be complacent, never surrender.

Hey Nancy,
the egg is a 2 or 3 dollar shaker, on the counter at many music stores...

It's a neat little percussion thingy..
but the egg "trick" is only a training idea, and should be taken with a grain of salt. I was always shifting the egg around...
my "a" finger of my pima had some trouble actually playing as I held the egg...
it was a visiualization and training wheels manuever.

It was mainly to create a nice cupped position to the hand...perhaps resembles your hand as it hangs naturally at your side...
I thought of the circle that was used in some yoga meditation...with a circle between thumb and index.

I also was told to experiment with a sorta "crawl" or a spider-like finger motion...without so much FORCE...my mongo attempt at a strong sound can lead to tension...
and tension is not our friend.

This is only a try at larnin'
try a live coach...results may vary.
But it gets "wordy" trying to do here...

But one more thang...
PT said that my soreness above and below the elbow...(the pima line)...could benefit from--not only some stretches--but by doing some sets on a "nautilus" or weight machine...
the bar--pulling down to the chin in front of face...not big weights, just moderate strengthening.
this is to strengthen starting way back in the shoulder blades...

As a wise, hopefully rich songwriter once said...
"The head bone's connected to the..."
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  02:16:44 AM  Show Profile
That weight move is one kind of "lat pull-down". Another excercise that does the same thing is Taiji, thoughtfully done. Taiji Forms are really isometric excercises that you can do in your living room. Taiji teaches that the vast majority of arm motion is actuated by back muscles that terminate at the shoulder (while arm muscles are relaxed) and, if you have a good teacher, shows you how to do it. This is similar to the fact that your fingers are mostly moved by long tendons that come down from muscles in your forearm (and those tendons, in my case, are old and aggravated).

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  03:25:44 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Kapila Kane!! I was had no idea what it was. Hopefully at Camp I'll get a lot of the detail improvements in style etc. After I've gotten home and absorbed it, I think I will seek out some lessons. The workshops have not really worked well for a rank beginner, even though all but John Keawe's were billed as such. They did give me enthusiasm and motivation. And with points by a number of different folks, I think I've mastered the barre successfully enough to use it in playing, although at times it hides from me.
I hope to meet you in Kahalui!!
n
How are all your family members doing?

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  3:28:00 PM  Show Profile
Shoots,
being I'm in Colorado, I like to focus on the family...
but unlike some folks here in Colorado...I'll stick to MY own darn family!
Mom just took the first of 28 treatments today...
First part is relatively easy...and we have a good family...tag team time.
Guess I'm still headin' to camp...back in time to chip in.

But we're hopin cousin Bob brings back some extra Tibetan prayer flags.
Or I'll go to Boulder!

Auntie N...
Don't worry about what you can't do...

Every small offering be a miracle...
and I still say, use the voice...
"the forests would be silent if only the most talented birds sang."
approximate quote of an old wise saying.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 06/09/2005 3:42:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  4:06:02 PM  Show Profile
Gordon -
Just know that our ohana here is all your family and we are all pulling for her... of course being here in SoCal, can't take my turn helping out - the really hard part, but our prayers are with your family.
auntie n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  10:32:03 PM  Show Profile
So, since I can't take the Nautilus to Maui...tell me more about
Taiji.

Especially the parts that help aggravated musicians.

And apologies for processing about family concerns...
Some of us are in our EXTREMELY LATE 40'S (which is equal or > 50).
But all of us are in da boat...some are wiser sooner...some of us get it a little late...but we all get there.

So I've learned ALOT of my friends have been there and back...or are hitting similar places in life.

The mental and spirtual help we get from our extended--and immediate family/friends is SO WELCOME.

Prayers or meditations throughout the day ---everyday help me cope in a world spinning faster than a Van Gogh painting...

Thanks friends for the kind words, thoughts, and prayers...

My prayers go out to others in distress.

On a lighter note:
Many sweet, whispering rains lately in Colorado...it's a blessing...

but HP (not a Fortune 500 company) ...please help my friends with water in their basements!
and could you save some blessings for July and August?
Justa Kane
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  02:28:09 AM  Show Profile
Do you really want to learn about Taiji? If so, I can help point the way. Mail me off-line. It was suggested by my PT as a follow-on to a serious spine operation and has helped *large* muscles and balance immensely. Your problem, as described, fits that. It has mental benefits as well. It does nothing for fingers. The big deal is to find a good teacher; one who is not some self-established, New Age spiritualist - which is a plague on the field. But, you can't learn it without spending time at it.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 06/13/2005 02:29:47 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000