Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Desert Island CD picks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  3:26:24 PM  Show Profile
Ditto Dusty and Keith!!!!!

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Keone
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  08:06:45 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all,

It sounds like I need to hear Dusty and Keith. They're in good company on the list. I was also wondering if there was a specific album by Dennis Kamakahi that would be recommend. I know his last album just won an award so perhaps that would be a good place to start.

Keone

P.S. Slkho...I'm sure there would be a Starbuck on the desert island. They have one everywhere these days!

Keone
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  2:19:47 PM  Show Profile
K,
Actually, no single album per se. All his work is spread around very evenly, that's why anything from him sounds good to me. I should add Dennis Paavo...I love his music as well. So much good music out there.
Dusty & Keith are very good.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  06:25:32 AM  Show Profile

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  06:52:33 AM  Show Profile
Keone,
I like Dennis's first solo CD Pua`ena. This is classic stuff. This single album was responsible for me getting into Slack Key. I actually found it misplaced in a used blues CD bin and bought it purely on whim. Dennis's Ohana CD is actually his best seller and also has lots of great DK standards, but Pua`ena is my pick. Dennis told me that he has dozens of tunes recorded and will eventually get around to getting them out. You might want to keep on the lookout for a new release from him soon. I know he and Patrick Landeza are working on one - perhaps August?
Go to Top of Page

Keone
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  07:50:43 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Chunky,

I'm sampling the Pua`ena album as I write and will check out the Ohana album next. I've always been interested DK since he was one of the slack key players in Sons of Hawaii. I love Gabby, Sonny, George Kuo...so I figure I would like Dennis. I haven't really heard much of Atta Isaac's stuff either but realize he's a big boy in the world of Ki Ho'alu as well and that I'll have to get to him next (actually I've heard him on Gabby's CD's I'm must not sure who's playing what part). Anyways, Mahalo.

Keone

Edited by - Keone on 06/16/2005 07:53:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2005 :  09:49:51 AM  Show Profile
Keone,
Good luck on the Atta music. One for sure is Atta and Gabby together - "Two Slack Key Guitars" (I think). I've not been able to find much else emphasizing Atta. Auntie Maria would know for sure.

Dennis K has some gems buried in other albums - check out the Na Oiwi CDs. This is basically electric stuff, but there are some great DK tunes there - In particular, I love Maui Mountain Home and Joh Yamasoto singing Koke`e with Dennis playing. Dennis does a lot of the stuff that he records with David, too. I told him a DK "Greatest Hits" would be a top seller for Slack Key groupies. He said that he'd thought about it, but doesn't want to saturate the market. Getting David's music out was his immediate priority. Now that David has won a Hoku, perhaps we can expect more of Dennis' work. I'll get anything that has his name on it; one of my all time favorites of any musicical genre.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000