Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 to sing or not to sing...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  2:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks for checking in Mark E. and Raymond. I was hoping someone might clarify the thoughts from other side of the slack key audience. I didn't so much wonder if slack key should have vocals (that's culturally defined) or whether you like to hear singing (everybody has a favorite vocal song), but rather what you keyed into when you listened to slack key. I know how Raymond feels when he says songs start t sound the same, that's pretty normal. Only a few players rise above the crowd because of their inventiveness or because of their depth of emotion in the music. The rest is just sharing music, not breaking new ground.
I think that slack key developed vocal and instrumentally along somewhat separate paths. Most people adapted the slack key style to fit songs while others tried to play instrument-only versions of songs. The latter is what George Winston fixated on and created his record label around, though that genre doesn't fit the majority of island guitar players.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  2:36:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Jesse,
My answer to our question is a bit biased, as i have heard and seen you sing and play. Folks, this guy can pull it off! Jesse has sent me several video movies that he knocked out unrehearsed on the basement stairs. He sings and plays well, knows the words, has a nice soft style of singing and playing. Yeah, jesse, YOU can sing and play at the same time:)

As for the rest of us, we do what we can. I do want to try to work out that words for Hula lady you sent me. I should be able to make movies by the time you get back.

In the end, it is just a matter of taste with the listener. No way to predict who will like what or for how long. Just play and enjoy what you do.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

HerbJr
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  02:31:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit HerbJr's Homepage
Hey Mr. Chunky Monkey...

Thanks for ordering the Cd's!
How's the Mrs.?
Hope to see you both soon.