Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 JAKE! JAKE!! JAKE!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ORANGE
Akahai

Japan
64 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  02:54:56 AM  Show Profile
DEAR TAROPATCHERS!!

ALOOOOOHA!!!
I am huge fan of ukulele wizard JAKE SHIMABUKURO! I would like to share his information with you guys!
If you have any JAKE's information, please let me know!!!
MAHALO!

(03/11/2005)
Today is very special day! My prince JAKE'S birthday!!
Happy birthday JAKE on your 29 years old! I'm so glad you were born.
Hope you are having a wonderful time on your special day!!

CHECK IT OUT and CLICK HERE!
http://www.etown.org/listen.schedule.php
e-town rebroadcast Jake's live performance from Boulder.
Listen to Jake's live performance with String Cheese Incident from Boulder Theatre 9/19 at www.etown.org now thru November 8!

(09/10/2005)
Have you already listen to JAKE'S new CD DRAGON?
Jake's track-by-track comments on DRAGON:

"SHAKE IT UP!"
I really had a lot of fun writing this tune! This is the only song that wasn't played live on the album. Everything was recorded piece by piece. I experimented with lots of drum and percussion loops. Even the horn and guitar parts are loops! However, to really give it a live feel, we added a real drum and bass part which definitely brought the song to life! Oh, and of course, we doubled the fake horns with a real flute!

"DRAGON"
My hero, Bruce Lee, inspired the project's title track. I was such a huge fan of his growing up, that I even named my younger brother Bruce! This particular song utilizes some fingerboard tapping that was difficult to record because of the quiet nature of the technique. I really tried to visualize a dragon moving gracefully through the air and whipping his tail, especially during the second half of the song.

"CIRCLE OF FRIENDS"
Here's a tune that has a unique story. I asked one of my best friends to randomly select a bunch of letters from A to G and write them down on a sheet of paper. Then, all I did was give each of them rhythmic values and added the harmony. That's how the entire song was created. Well, at least the main theme. Oh, we also got some friends together in the studio to stand in a circle around the microphone and add hand-clapping tracks on the last two choruses.

"ME & SHIRLEY T."
Okay, who is Shirley T.? Ha! Shirley Temple, of course! Well, actually, the inspiration for the song was not Shirley Temple the person, but Shirley Temple the drink! Yes, it's true. When I was a little boy, I could drink a dozen of those things at dinnertime! Hmmm, to be completely honest, it's still my favorite drink!

"FLOATERS"
"Floaters" was a last minute addition to the CD. I thought it would be a nice contrast to have a solo ukulele piece on the album. I tried to keep it short so that I wouldn't put listeners to sleep. Especially if someone was playing it in their car. That could be dangerous!

"3RD STREAM"
This was the most challenging song to record for me. It utilizes a new picking technique that I've been working on for about a year now. I finally felt I could execute it decent enough to put on tape. The drum and bass groove really rock the song! Oh, and I really love the way the ukulele and the flute sound together.

"TOUCH"
Here's a ballad that I wrote while I was in Japan. The song is about human touch and the importance of physical contact. A simple handshake, pat on the back, and of course, a friendly hug always fulfills the human soul. As I recorded the song, I used the fleshy part of my finger and played very gently to try to create the warmth of a person's touch.

"EN ARANJUEZ CON TU AMOR"
This was another experimental piece for me. I wanted to bring more of a dance groove to the album and being that this was the only cover tune, I thought it would be appropriate to give it a completely different feel. I originally had a two-minute solo ukulele intro at the beginning of the piece, but decided to leave it out during the mastering. It was way too long!

"TOASTMANLAND"
Well, I just wanted to create a song that had a real 'island' vibe to it! The drum and bass groove really push this one along! Oh, and that's a real Hammond!!!

"MAKING A PERFECT YESTERDAY"
I was playing the guitar in my bathroom one day because I love the acoustics there. As I was strumming some chords, I started singing this melody over and over. It's a simple song that seems to put me in a good mood when I hear it. It sort of reminds me to live each day as best as you can so that you'll have wonderful memories to reflect back on.

"LOOKING BACK"
This one is probably the most intimate track on the album. Something about the recording of this song felt really special. Especially the little improvised section toward the end. Whenever I listen to this song, I can clearly remember all of the times I made eye contact with the drummer or bassist during the session, all the times I held my breath while playing a note, the times I leaned back in my chair to get further from the microphone. It's really amazing when I think about it, looking back at the experience.

"WITH U ALWAYS"
This was my first attempt at playing the electric guitar. Well, I just played the opening theme. I brought in a real guitarist for the rhythm parts and the solo!
[Note: This is the theme song for the Hawaii Tourism Japan TV and radio campaign.]

(06/10/2005)
Would you like to take ukulele lesson from JAKE? YES, YOU CAN DO IT!! It is really fun site. Please visit to the site!!
First, CLICK HERE!!
http://www.jakeshimabukuro.net/Englsh/lesson/main1.html
http://www.jakeshimabukuro.net/Englsh/lesson/main2.html
http://www.jakeshimabukuro.net/Englsh/lesson/main.html
Next, CLICK REAL or WMP!
Enjoy and have fun!

(04.10.2005)
Congratulations JAKE! congratulations to people who lives in the U.S, GUAM, SAIPAN and another place!
Finally you can listen to JAKE'S newest CD "DRAGON" today!!!
Many people said, U.S Version CD "DRAGON" is much cooler than JAPANESE version CD "DRAGON"!
It sounds great, doesn't it? Let's have fun!!!

(30.09.2005)
You can read JAKE's interview! Please visit to the web site!! Enjoy reading the story!!!
http://www.fretsmag.com/story.asp?storycode=10920

(25.09.2005)
WOW! I got this super surprised happy, happier, happiest news from Sony Music Japan International's HP.
JAKE's new CD (all solo ukulele version, studio-live album that JAKE recorded in Nashville) will be released on Nov. 23, 2005 in JAPAN!

The title is......
"PEACE, LOVE & UKULELE"

TRACK LIST
01.BLUE ROSES FALLING
02.AVE MARIA
03.THE BEATLES MEDLEY (HERE THERE AND EVERYWHERE, YESTERDAY, LET IT BE)
04.MISTY
05.CROSSCURRENT
06.FLOATERS

(23.09.2005)
Please enjoy reading the review of CD "DRAGON".
11 days to go to release "DRAGON" in the U.S!!!
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/09/12/161349.php

(15.09.2005)
JAKE'S newest album "DRAGON" is going to be release soon in the U.S!! Congratulations!!! You are able to listen to the songs on this site!iSorry, Japanese language only....)

http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/International/Arch/ES/JakeShimabukuro/?EICP-505

2B Organic is only for Japanese version CD.... U.S version will be in "Floaters" instead of "2B Organic".
Please click BLUE button, not ORANGE button!!

ENJOY and HAVE FUN!!!

(08.27.2005)
JAKE had a performance at AICHI EXPO in Japan, May 2nd 2005.
You can watch the movie! But there is Japanese language only.... But never give up! Try it!
Jake played "With U Always" by solo ukulele. The song is HAWAII TOURISM JAPAN campaign song through this year.
It is very beautiful song! This song is featured by up coming New CD "DRAGON".

http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/fake702/diary/200505020000/

You can watch moving Jake's photo. The sign is just above it.
CLICK
“®‰æ(–ñ3•ª) (3 minutes, it is written by green colour.) You need Windows Media Player.

GOOD LUCK!!!

(08/02/2005)
JAKE on Earthsongs Radio, August 4. Please don't miss it and check it out!
Have fun and blast!!!
http://www.earthsongs.net/

(07/05/2005)
JAKE performed with Jimmy Buffett at Pirate's Stadium in Pittsburgh, 06/26/2005.
Check this URL, you can watch some photos!
http://community.webshots.com/album/383222934VbLjfW

Unbelievable!!! Amazing!!! How exciting!!! People, people, people.....
About 42,000 audiences were in the stadium! So crowded!
I am sure that so many people got lost! If I was there, I would be lost, too. hahaha...
Anyways enjoy to watch the photos!

(06/28/2005)
Today I would like to introduce this URL.
http://www.sejus.com/earth2willi/images/pictures/flecktones/pics-flecktones.php
You can listen to Jake's performance at Sheraton Waikiki Grand, December 17 2002.

How?
GO down to bottom of the page.
Click MP3 1. Jake Shimabukuro (22MB)

That's it! Easy!
Enjoy and have lots of fun fun fun!!!

Song list
1. Summertime
2. Tostmaker's Revenge
3. Close to you
4. The American national anthem
5. Stars and Stripes forever

Please check it out and don't miss it!!!

Ciao,
ORANGE

Edited by - ORANGE on 11/03/2005 01:18:08 AM

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  05:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Thanks for the link.

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

ORANGE
Akahai

Japan
64 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  12:40:34 AM  Show Profile
Dominator,

Hi! Thank you for your res. I visited your homepage! What a cool homepage you have!
Especially, I love "JAKE at Borders & Cafe in Sacramento". There are so many JAKE'S photos! And your report is really nice!
Actually I linked the URL on jklub j/bbs on June 15. Many japanese JAKE'S fan were enjoying to watch it and they felt so happy!
Thanks very much sharing joy with us!

Ciao,
ORANGE
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  3:00:12 PM  Show Profile
Orange,

Thanks for your links.

You do know about Jake videos on Midnight Ukulele Disco, http://www.ukuleledisco.com/ ? Just in case anyone missed them, they are a treat. Look in 2005, episode 5.

Ha, if you can add more links to your topic, I can add more thanks here for the new links. Thanks to you, Orange

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 08/27/2005 8:27:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  6:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
No problem Orange. I hope you enjoy the site often. I just recorded a version of Gently Weeps tonight on my new Glyph tenor.

Go to Top of Page

ORANGE
Akahai

Japan
64 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  12:37:57 AM  Show Profile
Pauline Leland,

Hi! Thanks for left me a message!
And thanx very much for let me know about Midnight Ukulele Disco!
I didn't know that! What a cool and rich videos!
WOW!!! JAKE plays "CROSSCURERNT"!! That is one of my favorite songs!
Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!!
Go to Top of Page

ORANGE
Akahai

Japan
64 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  12:26:08 PM  Show Profile
Dominator,

Thanks for your information! So, I visited your HP again!
I sat in front of my lovely imac. Then close my eyes and listened to WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS!
Wow, it is just like JAKE playing! Thanks for your great job and thanks a lot!

Ciao,
ORNAGE
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  4:08:35 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Dominator, that was really, really good. Thanks!

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  4:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Thank you Pauline. I am really enjoying my new Glyph tenor. I am sure you could hear my fingers/nails hitting the side of the fretboard and the upper bouts of the soundboard. The result....many scratches. But I can't worry about that. I bought it to play so that's what I must do.

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  7:17:46 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I thought that was what I heard. There's got to be a way to not hit the soundboard, but I haven't discovered it. I put a piece of clear pickguard material on one uke with a fragile finish. To late to prevent damage, but early enough to prevent catastrophe. I don't think it affected the tone since it's just on the upper bouts.

Sorry for the thread creep, Orange.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

ORANGE
Akahai

Japan
64 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  8:47:58 PM  Show Profile
Pauline Leland,

Hey! You don't need to worry about that at all!
I am very happy that people are gathering on this topic! And I am enjoying to read all messages!! Keep going! Talk about ukulele and Play loud ukulele!! ROCK ON!

Ciao,
ORANGE
Go to Top of Page

ORANGE
Akahai

Japan
64 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  02:05:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi! Everyone

Have you already listened to this radio show?
http://www.theworld.org/globalhits/index.shtml

Click to Archive June 29, 2005
Click to Global Hit (8:00)

You can listen to whole conversation and Jake playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."
I could not listen to it though... Because my computer does not work very well.... I don't know why...... Poor me.

But please check it out and Enjoy!

Ciao,
ORANGE
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  04:56:23 AM  Show Profile
Try this link -- directly to the interview with Jake:
http://www.theworld.org/globalhits/2005/06/29.shtml

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

ORANGE
Akahai

Japan
64 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  06:16:32 AM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria,

Hello! How do you do? Thank you very much come to this Topic!
Thank you so much for the link! It was very nice of you!! I finally could listen to JAKE'S voice and BUFFY'S sound!
It does works! You made me so happy!!! JAKE and BUFFY made me smile!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!

I think you have had JAKE'S non official HP before. But I can not find it out anymore....
And I visited your another HP! What a great HP you have!
Well, I really would like to have "PURE HEART 2.5". I know it is very difficult to get 2.5.
SOLD OUT... NO LONGER AVAILABLE.... But I'll keep trying to find out until I will get it!!!
Good luck me! hahaha... Thank you for everything, Auntie Maria!!!

Ciao,
ORANGE
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2005 :  07:42:02 AM  Show Profile
ORANGE,

You'll like Dominator's post on another uke forum about his experiences at Jake's concert and workshop. It's titled "Jake at Worldfest" on http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/bulletin/default.asp

Thanks for the Parco ads, they're funny, and there is so much weird detail I had to play them several times. I still missed a lot.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 07/17/2005 07:50:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

ORANGE
Akahai

Japan
64 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2005 :  07:51:55 AM  Show Profile
Pauline Leland,

ALOHA!
THANK YOU very much for let me know about the site! I visited there! I really envy dominator!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000