Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 GrassShackRecords Studio
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bron
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  12:13:33 AM  Show Profile

My significant other and I just returned from the Aloha Music Camp on the Big Island.While there, we had the good fortune to visit the newly opened Grass Shack Records recording studio located in Kealakekua Bay. This is a state-of-the-art facility and is such a wonderful space! I felt like moving in. If you've entertained the idea of recording acoustic music, this would be the place to do it. Richard, the engineer who creates magic (and owns)Grass Shack Records has recently fulfilled his dream of building this beautiful facility. I think it'd be really fun to plan a trip to the Big Island,including a session at the studio. Richard really knows what he's doing and has enormous fun doing it. Plus his rates are extremely reasonable. Check out his website: www.GrassShackRecords.com For all those returning to the camp next year, you owe it to yourselves to check this place out.

RichardH
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2002 :  7:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit RichardH's Homepage
Thanks for the note Bronwyn!

Hey, the Gabby festival was great at the Hilton Waikaloa last Saturday. You should have stayed around another week!

FYI, starting Sunday, Sonny Lim and Betsy Curtis are coming in to do an album of old classic Hawaiian tunes. Sonny's day job is being a paniolo and he will do the guitar work and also play bass.

You heard a few of Betsy's acapella songs when you were here. She grew up in Kailua Oahu and learned hula from Mrs. Beamer. She is incredibly talented, and is known as the the best female vocalist on the Big Island. Our family has known Betsy for 25 years since back when she was singing with Cyrus Green and Johnny Spencer. She always asks me what I want for my birthday, and I always ask her to sing "Waika" - the arrangement Johnny did for her. I finally cornered her and recorded it acapella about a year ago...got tired of waiting for my birthday.... I put a highly encoded version of it on my web site, because everybody might want to try celebrating this way!

Thanks again Bronwyn! Oh, btw, a couple of your significant other Donley's slack key numbers are up there too in MP3. He did a great job!

Aloha,
Richard

Richard
Grass Shack Records
Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  01:20:40 AM  Show Profile
RichardH,

Thank you and Donley Smith and Betsy Curtis for the mp3's. I am enjoying them very much. I see why Betsy Curtis is so esteemed; what a lovely voice she has.

I wish you success with your studio.

Aloha,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

RichardH
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  04:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit RichardH's Homepage
Thanks Pauline, I'm glad you like them.

Donley did most of those in one take, and it was his first time in a studio. His guitar is all curly koa, a Santa Cruz I believe, and Donley has given it a voice to match.

I will pass your compliment on to Betsy. As we get close to the release of the new CD with Sonny Lim, I'll post a few of the songs on the Grass Shack Records site.

Thanks for the note!

Aloha,

Richard

Richard
Grass Shack Records
Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii
Go to Top of Page

RichardH
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2002 :  04:25:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit RichardH's Homepage
Grass Shack update:
I tracked Sonny Lim and Betsy Curtis Sunday, and they performed Kalamaula, Kalana Na Pua, The Song of Old Hawaii, and Waika.

It was a joy to watch them. Sonny is full of the gentleness of Hawaii, and it came out in his guitar, uke and bass work. When I watched Betsy sing, it was as if her voice caressed the words like a hula dancers hands. The recording embodies that feeling. I did some scratch mixes and was grinning the whole time.....

We'll have a couple more sessions in the next six weeks or so, and the CD should be done hopefully by the end of November. I'll put a few on the website in MP3 format when they become final.

Aloha,

Richard

Richard
Grass Shack Records
Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000