Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Kamehameha Schools "Nahenahe Series 1"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  10:25:10 AM  Show Profile
If you yearn to know more about Hawaiian music, this 8-CD series is a treasure. Each CD was a TV show, broadcast throughout the islands for a few years. Each show focused on just one song -- with great commentary from the often-kolohe Ekela Kaniaupio-Crozier, and one guest musician. One hour about one song...plus great stories about the song, the island about which it sings, the composer, etc. The whole set can be ordered online:
http://nahenahe.ksbe.edu/

And the songbook is available for free download from their site.

This is one of those "treasures" for true fans of Hawaiian music. Enjoy!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  03:41:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Ekela Kaniaupio-Crozier had a TV show which I think is archived online somewhere. This Nahenahe series was an audio program that was broadcast, I think, on KINE radio. The concept is to teach a song representing a different island and to feature a guest musician/artist in each show.

As a live broadcast, the shows were not scripted so they're kind of a blend of talk show and Hawaiian lesson. Ekela is a good teacher and funny too.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  04:54:34 AM  Show Profile
Ekela actually had two different shows -- the one for which I gave the link, plus an excellent (IMHO) Hawaiian language course entitled "Kulaiwi".

The audio for "Kulaiwi" (and a downloadable curriculum) is also available (free!) online:
http://ksdl.ksbe.edu/kulaiwi/index.html

She's an outstanding instructor, with a very quick wit and _great_ sense of humor!

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  6:06:18 PM  Show Profile
Thank you soooo much for this posting. I've just spent a wonderful half hour listening to the first part of Episode 5, Hilo Hanakahi. The discussion about Hilo and the entire Big Island is incredible. Mahalo nui loa Auntie Maria. I'll listen to the rest of this episode as soon as I'm done with my work for the day.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn

Edited by - PuaLynn on 07/05/2005 6:07:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  11:56:10 PM  Show Profile
What a small world, I got a copy of the "Nahenahe Seris 1" from a friend at kamehameha school, and Ekela is my next door neighbor, she just moved in about 4 months ago, her home now..... is Maui. ( pekelo from hana is on it.)

me ke aloha
kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  04:51:43 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Kevin -- please tell `Ekela that I'm a huuuuge fan (she's so kolohe!).

I emailed the director of the KS Distance Learning Program to ask if I could play their series on my radio show. He very kindly responded that their broadcast rights were shared with an O`ahu TV station, so no go.

But...he said KS is in the process of creating a new (similar) program, and he'd very much like to keep KKCR (and I'm assuming, other island radio stations, too) in the loop. Yay!

How wonderful that the Nahenahe Series #1 can now be heard online, for free.

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  06:48:42 AM  Show Profile
E Auntie

I listened to the Nahenahe series over the internet when it first came out, and later, after they made the CDs available, I emailed to ask if there were any plans for a second Nahenahe program (their request for feedback seemed to imply that it would help such a thing come about). However, that was quite a while ago and I never heard back from them. Was KS talkng to you about another Nahenahe series, or another Kulaiwi series?

I really enjoyed the series, however, I think I learned more from it about the food of Hawai`i than the music of Hawai`i!

Debbie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000