Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Basic question: Fingernails or just fingers?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  07:27:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
As an absolute beginner at guitar, I'm having fun with this new activity but I have a basic question: Should I have longish fingernails on my right hand or not? I'm lucky enough to have very tough yet not brittle nails (they rarely ever break) that grow easily but I'm wondering if I should keep 'em short for slack key playing or not?

Should I be plucking the strings with the pad of my fingers or my nails? I'm guessing I'd get a different, less bright, sound with no fingernails but before I lop 'em off I need to know if that's the right thing to do? Of course, they do always grow back quickly...

I'm also guessing this might be another, "Whatever works for you," question, but I'll still toss it out there since I have nothing working for me right now and I might as well start aiming for what works for others.

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  08:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
You are lucky to have nails that grow quickly and are not brittle. IMO you get a crisp sound and more resonance using nails or picks. Plus I think you pull off the strings quicker. Some of us GUYS go so far as to have acrylic nails put on two or three fingers of the right hand to pick with.

Do you like the sound of with or without best? Which ever you like is what you do.

Edited by - Ianui on 07/07/2005 08:07:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  08:30:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I've done both. Started with no nails and in the last few years with nails. The nails help get more volume. As you guessed, I'd say it depends which feel and sound you prefer. If you've already got nails, try that first.

Since you just got Ozzie's book, here's a photo of his picking hand (with nails).

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  1:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Fingernails stay on, then. Thank you!

P.S. It looks from the pix that Ozzie also has his *pinky* finger with long nails, yet I thought he didn't use that one for playing from what I read in his book--but I must remember wrong. Or perhaps it just looks more "balanced" to have all the nails the same length--I dunno! I was once asked by a total stranger if I played guitar because he noted that my left hand had nominal fingernails and the right had longer ones. I proudly told him I played 'ukulele! Now I'll be able to add slack key guitar to that (if you define "playing" quite loosely).

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  10:29:53 AM  Show Profile
You don't need really long nails. About a quarter inch over the pads when viewed from the palm side (make sense) a really sufficient -- shaping them is more of an issue.

How you attack - i.e. the angle of the nail relative to the string, as well as the combination of how much flesh/how much nail not only affet the volume, but it changes the quality of the tone as well.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  11:00:59 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Tonya,

I play with nails, which I keep about 1/8" long (as RJS says, a good way to see for sure is to look at your nail from the pad-side, not the nail side, and see how much is peeking over the tip of your finger).

I also shape them so that the longest part of the nail is slightly to the "pinky" side [as viewed from the backside of your hand, not the palm side], not right in the center. The reason for this is that my hand doesn't hang straight up and down - it hangs at an angle, so moving the longest part of my nail over to the side a bit compensates for my hand angle. Also, I found the "thumb" side of my nails would get chewed up anyway, on the strings, so I'd have to file them down smooth.

My thumb is in reverse: filed so that the long part is more toward the "thumb" side. This is because of the angle of my thumb, and also because I found that if I did not file away the more "pinky" side part, then I got lots of rasping on the wound bass strings.

Also, when I play, I find that in reality, I use both pad AND nail in my stroke.

I started out with very long nails and total nail sound, but I was also picking very daintily. To pick harder, I found it helpful to shorten my nails to the approx 1/8" I mentioned.

I've heard Andy play without nails and it sounds lovely, but it is definitely quieter than when he plays (sounding just as lovely) with nails.

What you do affects your sound, so play around a bit and see what works for you.

aloha,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  11:43:00 AM  Show Profile
I play without nails or picks, (sometimes without fingers). I've tried 'em all and I prefer "feeling" the strings. This is absolutely a personal preference because I can't grow nails, I won't do acrylics and I get picks jammed up in the strings. Consequently, My playing tends to be a little aggressive.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 07/11/2005 11:43:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  12:39:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Sarah and CM - very short nails and I use mostly the fingerpads. I can get a variety of sounds (loud, soft, bright, etc) by varying how I sound the string.

It really is a personal preference. However, I've also found that once you are used to something (pads, nails, picks, whatever), it can be REALLY frustrating to try something else - it feels like your fingers have forgotten how to play.

That said, if you go for long nails you can always add a custom paint job to add some flash. Or, paint 'em all black like Dennis Kamakahi

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  12:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Aha, Sarah--an answer to the "raspy" noise on my thumb, I knew it was because of the nail but now I'll try to shape it to the other side to see if that helps. And, I have to tell you that measuring my fingernails here at the office while reading all of this made quite a sight, I'm sure. I'm just glad no one walked in while I was holding up a ruler to my fingertips and then trying to squinch my eyes to focus and read the theose little marks on the ruler (I still refuse to get reading glasses--ahh, vanity and fear of inconvenience).

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  03:24:01 AM  Show Profile
I use a filed down thumbpick and Dunlop brass guaged fingerpicks. Led uses a plastic thumb and finger pick. Whatever you find gives you the sound and the feeling, nails, picks, bare fingers. To quote Bill Monroe, "You should have your own sound."
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  06:04:27 AM  Show Profile
I like to "feel" the strings to...but I have tried a finger and thumb pick. Definitely louder and brighter. But...my fingers get tired of the pressure and off they go. Make sure you put the finger pick on in the correct direction!!

I think I am going to try those Alaska picks...

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  2:18:07 PM  Show Profile
I wish I could be like Chunky Monkey and play without fingers. That'd be cool!

Tonya, about the thumb: yes, I went through a bit of an experimental session where I played/ filed down/ played again/ filed down... etc. until I got rid of the rasp. Then I tried to memorize the shape of nail I had achieved so that next time I could file it the same way.

It sure was fun to try to imagine you at the office *hee hee* I bet you confounded all your co-workers (or else they thought you were losing your marbles... but we all here know better!!)

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  2:31:46 PM  Show Profile
E Tonya, while we're on the subject of nails, for that DREADED NAIL BREAK, which is bound to happen to anyone playing with nails...

Get some nail glue, such as Nailene Ultra Quick Nail Glue, at your local drugstore to have on hand for when such a disaster strikes. It can be found in the acrylic nails section. A few acrylic nails can't hurt either, because sometimes you need to fashion a "patch" if your nail break is a complete loss.

I find cold weather and low humidity increase the chances of nail break. And as I write, I am sporting a re-attached thumbnail (much nicer than a re-attached finger or hand) due not to cold or dryness, but due to repeated jamming in the course of summer home-maintenance activities. Life is hazardous.

This nail glue is, I think, in essence "superglue". We tried pure superglue once, but actually, the "for nails" versions seem to work better -- perhaps it's the way they flow or cure. It is sometimes a bit tricky to apply the glue while holding all your nail parts together (but hey, we do what we have to do!)

aloha,
Sarah

Edited by - Sarah on 07/15/2005 2:33:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  01:13:17 AM  Show Profile
This is good...
On Maui this year, Ozzie had his nails even longer than "usual"...
figuring that they were gonna wear down over the week...
Well, When you hear someone you admire...well, I tend to try their ways.
Ozzie even mentioned taking a 3 day seminar in LA on the "care and feeding of nails for guitarists"!

I had to share that one with Karen...she screams when men talk nail care!
Back off babe, I'm an artist.
wannabe

Daniel Ho is classically trained...and he only uses fingers, but I didn't ask about nails...
Daniel's KoAloha is Nylon stringed I believe, and
Nylons are less destructive--I hear?.

But many great players, like Ozzie play both.

But File in one direction...(edge to center?)
diamond type files...no serrated metal files...from the LA X-nail files.

I was using a strengthener last year, and some elementary kids asked, Why are those nails so shiny".

Well kid, I'm an alien.

Switched to a "matte" finish...but it's still a little different on the right hand...

I don't think I'll do black enamel until I have a few more tatoos, and bulk up.
Or get the first Grammy.

Gotta go, wife's coming.
If you have good nails...use em...
but it's all good.
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  06:44:00 AM  Show Profile
I've used a nail 'nourish-strengthen' product (forget who makes it) that comes in a jar that looks exactly like fingernail polish.

When someone comes into my office to bug me abut something, I like to take it out and start 'doing my nails'. Stops 'em every time.

Puna
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  12:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Be careful with some of the nail enhancing products -- they end up weakening your natural nails. Lot of times keeping them just long enough, but not too long, and making sure there are no edges to "snag" does the trick.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000