Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Need assistance for music on Kauai July 19, 2005
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

konacat
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  12:52:02 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know of a musical event or the “IN” place to be on Kauai the 19th of July? One of my Vice Presidents will be at the Sheraton in Koloa along with a number of support personnel. It would be nice to give him the inside track to take the group to hear some great sounds. I’ve been away from Kauai way too long to know the music scene. On the lighter side, my fondest Kauai musical memory involves invisible instruments. I saw a Man and Wife duo that was playing and I said “wait a minute I didn’t see any horns near the microphone”. The man made a number of different instrument sound using only his mouth. Truly amazing for someone like me who must have a perfectly tuned ukulele just to play chords like C, F, G, G7 etc. and they still don’t sound good. LOL

Thank You

Philip The only thing worse than my playing is my singing.

Dominator
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  2:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dominator's Homepage
Philip,
I have been going to Kauai for several years now but to be honest it is probably one of the least happening islands when it comes to seeing ukulele performers. I will email the pastor of the Koloa Missionary Church. He may know if anything special is happening that night. He plays uke and guitar and his wife teaches ukulele. Let me see what I can find out.
Dominator

www.dominator.ukeland.com
www.myspace.com/dominatoruke
Practice makes Practice Perfect!
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  05:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Philip:

You might want to try contacting Doug & Sandy McMaster (hanaleivideoandmusic.com is their website). Their names have appeared on TP here and there, and I believe they are pretty "in the know" about the music scene on Kauai. Perhaps Auntie Maria at Mele.com might have some insight for you too. She would be another good resource. Good luck!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  5:35:02 PM  Show Profile
Since they'll be in Po`ipu at the Sheraton, they can just go down to the Hyatt (the oceanfront bar area) or over to Keoki's Paradise (in the shopping center) for music. No guarantee they'll be hearing traditional Hawaiian, but at least it will be island-style.

The shopping center in Po`ipu has a free hula show every afternoon at around 4-5pm, too -- in the center stage area.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

konacat
Aloha

36 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  8:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo for the info.

I'll use the info and make a couple of contacts.

Philip The only thing worse than my playing is my singing.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  05:11:33 AM  Show Profile
Leilani Bond and Kuai Low perform at the Hyatt in {Po`ipu)pretty much every night, either together or solo. These are first class performers. No ukes, but real Hawaiian music. Tuesday and Saturday, Leilani brings the keiki from her halau and they put on an entertaining show. 6 - 8 in the open-air bar area. Kaui Low also does a dinner gig at Joe's on the Green (Kiahuna Golf Course) on Thursday (reservations recommended; very good food but limited menu; nice setting outdoors). He's a very good player, doing all the Hawaiian and slack-key standards in standard tuning. These are do-not-miss performers for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000