Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Lanikai Curly Koa Tenor
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bl0ops
Aloha

13 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  6:23:14 PM  Show Profile
Anyone played one? I can't seem to find one around my area. I live in the bay area. I've tried a Kamaka koa tenor, a Bushman Jenny mahogany tenor, and a Rick Turner koa tenor. I just love the tones of both koa wood ukes. But they're a little price to me. Anyone know how if the Lanikai Curly Koa Tenor has a good tone? In comparison to the koa ukues and the mahogany.

Island Legends
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  08:32:32 AM  Show Profile
bl0ops

The Lanikai Curly Koa tenors(CK-T, CK-TE, or CK-6E) have a good tone if you're comparing them to other Lanikai tenors (S-T, LU-21T, etc...). I personally think that they sound the best out of the Lanikai uke line.

If you take the same Lanikai Koa and compare it to a solid koa uke .... KoAloha, Kamaka, G-String.... then it doesn't sound as good. It would be comparable to a Lehua Australian Blackwood but for the price, I would get the Lanikai.

but then.... personal preference

Island Legends, LLC
1451 W. Artesia Blvd., #12
Gardena, CA 90248
(310)352-6333
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  09:39:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Spitzer Music in Concord usually has some Lanikai curly koa instruments. They're laminated, so they don't have all the ring of a good solid wood instrument.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  6:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I just played some koa Lanikai tenors, both the cutaway/electric version and the standard body, today. Very fun with a nice ring and strong midtones and mellow treble. I think it would sound better with thickers strings on it (comes with GHS blacks w/ wound 3rd).
The downside is that the cutaway/electric version is around $400 plus case, which puts it close to the range of a used Kamaka ($500 and up).
As far as the laminated-vs.-solid goes, I would say the Lanikai is comparable because the laminated wood is still incredibly thin and rings pretty well.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000