Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Redwood soundboard for ukes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BalsaBoy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  05:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit BalsaBoy's Homepage
Aloha Patch friends,
I want to recommend redwood for soundboards, anyone else have any experience with
this for ukes? I've been using old growth redwood that has been underwater for the last
100 years or so! The inner wood never gets wet, but the resins in the wood become
'mineralized' over so long. This really improves the stiffness, or 'Q' factor of the wood,
giving it a bright tone, a little like Sitka Spruce. Any other ideas on this?
Mahalo, happy strumming!
Balsaboy(Paul)

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  06:32:42 AM  Show Profile
This is a really good idea. Both redwood and long-time immersed logs of various species have been used for guitar tops for a long time. But, the luthiers that I know, who specialize in this kind of thing, run tests, especially for splitting, before deciding how thin they can get the top. Stiff thin tops are kinda the goal - like a diaphragm.

You might run some tests of the sort that Kawika Hurd does. They are really simple and tell him a lot about what he can do wit a piece of wood. He used to describe them on his web site - haven't looked there in a long time.

We have 3 guitars with redwood tops and the wood varies considerably between them. One 40 year old top is very strong and bright and stable. One is fairly soft (and much younger)and is susceptible to humidity changes, but produces a very mellow, nahenahe tone. The other is also old and is quite loud for its (0) size.

As a uke builder, you don't have the force problems of a steel string guitar builder, so you can probably get away with quite extreme variations.

In addition, the mineralization should make the tones very resonant. That's why my Big Goose Spruce Goodall sounds the way it does. (100+ years of freeze drying is very good for Sitka.)

You are fortunate to have that stash.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

BalsaBoy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  1:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit BalsaBoy's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

This is a really good idea. Both redwood and long-time immersed logs of various species have been used for guitar tops for a long time. But, the luthiers that I know, who specialize in this kind of thing, run tests, especially for splitting, before deciding how thin they can get the top. Stiff thin tops are kinda the goal - like a diaphragm.

You might run some tests of the sort that Kawika Hurd does. They are really simple and tell him a lot about what he can do wit a piece of wood. He used to describe them on his web site - haven't looked there in a long time.

We have 3 guitars with redwood tops and the wood varies considerably between them. One 40 year old top is very strong and bright and stable. One is fairly soft (and much younger)and is susceptible to humidity changes, but produces a very mellow, nahenahe tone. The other is also old and is quite loud for its (0) size.

As a uke builder, you don't have the force problems of a steel string guitar builder, so you can probably get away with quite extreme variations.

In addition, the mineralization should make the tones very resonant. That's why my Big Goose Spruce Goodall sounds the way it does. (100+ years of freeze drying is very good for Sitka.)

You are fortunate to have that stash.

...Reid
Mahalo Reid, for your input on this, very interesting. David 'Kawika' Hurd is an old friend,
and yes, the method he uses to test the wood works well. I want to make a set up to do
that. His new book, Left-Brain Luthierie, describes in detail how to compare the test results from different pieces of wood, to pick the best properties. Another scientific luthier
in my area, Brian Burns, has a great test station set up, and is getting very reliable results.
Another method being used to stabalize wood, and also improve its Q, is BAKING the wood! About an hour @ 250 deg. in the kitchen oven!!! Whats next? a little Teriaki sauce
anyone?
Cheers, Paul
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  1:35:25 PM  Show Profile
E Paul e,

Watch out for the baking of a conifer. Baking is a standard op, by 2 of the best luthiers in the universe, for oily woods like cocobolo (which is a true Dalbergia - rosewood). After baking,the oil is scraped off and standard hide glues are used for assembly. Be very careful with, or run lots of experiments, before you do that with a wood that is dry. It may be that "greenish" conifers with semiliquid pitch could benefit from baking, but if your stash is old and dry, treat it gently and then let me hear it :-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

5thumbs
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  1:48:05 PM  Show Profile
I've seen Paul's luthier work and it is awesome. I'm trying to justify getting one of his ukuleles into my collection. Right now I have some good "players" and need to work work it into my budget. Paul's workshop is really a fun place to visit. In addition to being a great guy he has a nice "museum" of old ukuleles and an increadible stash of exotic woods (too good to be true). He neglected to mention how beautiful the water aged redwood is.... Very unique color and pattern. Paul, I showed that sample you gave me to a friend that has a PhD in forestry and she was facinated with the wood. She said they have pulled logs out of Lake Tahoe that are several hundred years old and she took a core sample of it and also said it was bone dry inside!

5thumbs
Go to Top of Page

BalsaBoy
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  6:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit BalsaBoy's Homepage
Reid, Very true about baking the conifer woods, I'm going to try some Port Orford Cedar as a test, and see what happens... all the old Brazillian I've got doesn't need a thing.

Mahalo for the nice complements Jay! I spend so much time in my shop, I sometimes don't see it like someone coming in fresh. I'm starting work on the concert uke with redwood
top, we'll see how it comes out. Come by again soon, and lets jam.
-Paul
Go to Top of Page

hoosieruke
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  5:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit hoosieruke's Homepage
I picked up some nice curly redwood at the UGH convention in Honolulul last November. I've buil;t one uke with it...a concert in Koa with the redwood top. I liked it so much that I couldn't sell it. It's no my favorite player.

www.hoosiermaidukes.com

MidWest UkeFest
The Key Strummers
Hoosier Maid Ukes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000