Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 New `ukulele CDs coming out
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  07:55:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
1) Herb Ohta, Jr. & Daniel Ho - `Ukuleles In Paradise
--- very sweet, nahenahe music, many familiar favorites; nice that you can hear the sonic differences between their KoAloha ukes (Daniel is playing the new D-VI) because there's no other instrumentation, and they are on separate L/R channels; tasty arragements by Herb.

2) Gordon Mark - Nohea (Lovely)
--- haven't had a chance to listen yet, but looks like some nice choices, blending Hawaiian, jazz standards, and classical, all on solo `ukulele; surprising to find this is his first solo CD.

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  2:16:08 PM  Show Profile
You can listen to sound clips...both CDs are scheduled for release Tue 7/26:

Herb & Daniel
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/3106.htm

Gordon Mark
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/3099.htm

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  2:53:22 PM  Show Profile
I was one of the lucky few to purchase this CD directly from Daniel Ho at one of his work shops. Gordon Mark has been a favorite of mine for many years. I wished I lived near enough to take lessons from him. His playing is superb and truly lovely.

Here is the song List
1. ‘Akaka Falls
2. Somewhere Over the Rainbow
3. E Ku‘u Morning Dew
4. Till There Was You
5. Kamehameha Waltz
6. Claire de Lune
7. Stardust
8. The Swan
9. Meditation
10. Fur Elise
11. Pua Mae‘ole

The Album Notes from Daniel's web site are:

Nohea, in Hawaiian, means lovely. It defines the music of ‘ukulele virtuoso Gordon Mark. These solo arrangements of notable Hawaiian songs, jazz standards, and classical melodies reveal his innate musicality, versatility, and sense of artistry.

With his repertoire of over 1,000 songs, Gordon Mark transcends any perceived limitations one might have of the ‘ukulele. He brings to fruition the rich harmonies of jazz standards and the complex counterpoints found in classical pieces on this unassuming, four-stringed instrument.

Gordon has performed as a soloist throughout Hawai‘i — most notably with the Honolulu Symphony. He is recognized as one of the state’s foremost ‘ukulele instructors.

This album marks his much-anticipated career as a recording artist.
----

I highly recommend this album for any taropatch ukulele player. We all wish we could play as well and evoke such strong emotions in our playing.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  06:22:58 AM  Show Profile
Retro, this is actually Gordon Mark's second solo CD. He had one last year, but in extremely limited release.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  1:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Right - I forgot about "Natural Elegance" (mahalo once again, Auntie, for keeping track.) It looks like this might be a re-issue of some of the tracks from that album, though, so is this really his second, or still technically his first? Ah, the mystery...
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  08:36:39 AM  Show Profile
Gordon alson has some very nice songs on both "The art of Solo Ukulele" and "Ukulele Stylings #2" (1996). On the art of solo ukulele he plays 'Love Theme From Romeo And Juliet' and 'Hi’ilawe'. On Ukulele Sytylings he also plays 'Hi'ilawe' and 'Ku'uipo'. I firts heard his music in a ukulele store by the Aloha Tower and asked the clerk what music was playing. His music brought me to purchase 'Ukulele Stylings #2. My favorite was 'Ku'uipo'.
You may find him around the KoAloha ukulele shop in Honolulu as he stops by and gives lessons to Alan Okami. Gordon doesn't have a web site (that I know of) and he has been around for a long time playing in concerts in Hawaii. He has a ukulele instruction book that I purchased from Alan in the shop. I'd have to go home to look up the title and publisher.
There was a very nice article about him in the Honolulu Star Bulletin back in February.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/02/04/features/story4.html

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000