Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Our Beloved Land
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  9:24:29 PM  Show Profile
Thought I would weigh in about the new Keola Beamer-Carlos Nakai album, "Our Beloved Land."
- First of all, if you want traditional slack key, save your money. You'll be frustrated. If you like Keola's "dream" style, you'll probably enjoy this album.
- For me, however, this album approaches masterpiece levels. Certainly major award levels. Two significant artists, both near the peak of their artistic abilities, from two different, but compatible, traditions, in a true collaboration. Nakai is a Navajo, one of the pioneers in Native American flute playing, and a first rate chanter. He picks up on Keola's playing and singing and reflects it back with nuance and depth. And it feels like Keola is stretching himself, really listening to and playing off Nakai, with very beautiful results. Heartfelt, creative, musically interesting. I've listened to this album a half dozen times by now -- liked it the first time, and am hearing more and more in it with each play. Not an album for background noise, but perfect for a quiet time when you can listen deeply.
- All but one of the songs are Hawaiian material. One is based upon a Navajo chant. I hope there's a follow up album the reverses the mix - Nakai's chant tempts me to hear more, and I would like to see how Keola responds to this different material.
-In summary, once again Keola is "unpacking" the potential inside slack key, showing us that not only is it a folk art form, but it also has the potential to take its place in the world of "high" art.

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  1:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I agree with your assessment, Raymond. I think it's a new form of music they've created, a kind of new age improvisational jazz.
It is separated from the new age genre by Nakai's chanting, which is haunting and foreign compared with the slack key guitar.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1019 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  05:01:26 AM  Show Profile
Nakai has been around for a while. He did some stuff with a New Age Pianist named Peter Kater (not sure of the spelling), several years ago. To use your words - this was very "dreamy" music. I actually ended up getting more of his work, but it was on cassette tape and I can't find it. Thanks for your input Raymond - I'll probably try to get this album.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  05:19:55 AM  Show Profile
Actually, I've been wondering about what this was going to sound like.
Thanks Raymond, I appreciate the indepth review.

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  1:55:06 PM  Show Profile
Nakai has been around for a long time - in fact when he started performing and recording "native american flute" was almost never heard outside of tribal contexts. Now you can buy one at almost any arts & crafts street fair. I first heard Nakai, probably in the late 70's when I was visiting family in New Mexico. He was great then and has just gotten more and more depth to his playing. I think he has over 45 recordings to his credit!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000