Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Acoustic Guitar Amp
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  05:59:17 AM  Show Profile
I would like to buy a guitar amp for my acoustic. I would like to be able to listen with head phones and/or play through the speakers in the amp. I would like for there to be a nice output capability (direct recording of either an analog or digital signal...RCA? USB?). I would like the amp to possess a broad range of sound modification capabilities... vibrato, echo, and so on.

Am I wishing? Or do reasonably priced versions exist?

Mike

Aloha, Mike

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  4:58:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh come on now!! No opinions??

I need some help here!!

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  5:34:05 PM  Show Profile
I play a classical style guitar. Couldn't find an amp for under $600 that didn't alter the sound and make my guitar soud like a cheap steel string. . Finally went with a California Blond. Beautiful but expensive. Also very heavy to lug around.

You might want to look into PA systems, they seem to be cheaper and my steel string playing friends like them. George Kahumoku told me he realli liked the small Carvin PA.
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  7:00:36 PM  Show Profile
Thats the kind of input I am looking for...been seeing those CBs on ebay. Got a model that you like a lot?

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  03:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mike,

You should visit a few places so you can try different amps to see what sounds best with your guitar and your playing. Not sure what kind of power you need and reasonable is always a relative term.

Here's what pops to mind (not a comprehensive list):
  • Crate
  • Ultrasound AG-50DS3
  • Carvin AG100D
  • Fender Acoustasonic series
  • AER Alpha or Compact60
  • SWR California Blonde
  • Schertler Unico
The last two are getting pricey but it might be good to test a full range to give you the best sampling.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  05:04:45 AM  Show Profile
Keith Marzullo uses a 60w that is ultra light, compact and sounds very nice. I don't remember the brand, but it's pricey (~ $1000). If you are regularly hauling it around it's probably worth it.
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  06:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
When people say "a PA", (which I assume is public address system) what is the difference between that and a regular amp? I sing and I use two guitars (not at the same time) and I'm thinking of small club setting. So that would be one vocal mic and one guitar mic (or pickup). Am I looking for a PA or an amp with two inputs? LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  06:06:44 AM  Show Profile
Actually there has been a lot of discussion already on "Gig Amps".

All you have to do is search on "Amplifier" or "Amp" and you will see
opinions on several other threads about amplifiers. And, of course,
a similar search on the Acoustic Guitar website will yield even more!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/27/2005 06:08:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  06:26:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

Keith Marzullo uses a 60w that is ultra light, compact and sounds very nice. I don't remember the brand, but it's pricey (~ $1000). If you are regularly hauling it around it's probably worth it.

That would be an AER Compact 60, and you're right about the price.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  06:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Leonard

When people say "a PA", (which I assume is public address system) what is the difference between that and a regular amp? I sing and I use two guitars (not at the same time) and I'm thinking of small club setting. So that would be one vocal mic and one guitar mic (or pickup). Am I looking for a PA or an amp with two inputs? LRR

Most PA systems have a minimum of 4 inputs. They have a general purpose EQ of some kind on each channel. They have two speaker cabinets. So they're more flexible than an all-in-one amp, but they're a little more trouble to set up. You can mix and match features to tailor a PA system to your needs far beyond the limits of an acoustic amp. In your case, you might spend more on high quality speakers and less on a fancy mixer.

Many acoustic amps include inputs for a vocal mic along with the guitar.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  09:56:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Thanks all, especially Fran. With this info I've looked at examples of PAs at Musicians Friend website and I see the difference. I'll probably go for versatility. LRR

Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  6:08:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to all for the help!!

I went and tried a few amps with my guitar, then got to compare a California Blonde next to a Fender Acoustasonic (FX) (never found a Schertler). I was blown away by the Blonde! I got 3 compliments from customers hearing my Taylor 810 hooked to that thing. Loved it. I did buy a chorus pedal, but thats all I needed. Got it for sub $600... absolutely no negatives. And, it was my birthday present!

Thanks for the tip Raymond...

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  8:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Glad you like it. I've used mine for over a year and still get compliments, especially from guitar players. Only drawback is lugging that thing around - but I got a heavy duty baggage carrier and modified it a bit, so now it's pretty much only having to get it into the car that's a pain. Oh well, nothing perfect. But a darn good amp. You got a good price, too.
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  5:21:00 PM  Show Profile
The thing that blows is the day got it, I cut the end of my index (fret) finger, in a bad way...now it huts too nuch to play

Argh!! I want to play! @ !

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  11:23:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
OK - I got a powered mixer (Yamaha something) and I need to know what balanced vs nonbalanced inputs are. I will connect a voice mic and a guitar mic, and maybe sometime my guitar directly (from the Baggs Element Active undersaddle transducer through a Baggs Para Acoustic DI). Any help or explanation? LRR

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  1:17:44 PM  Show Profile
I got a Carvin Acoustic Amp direct from their factory here in Rancho Bernardo/Poway, CA. A steal direct. It sounds great and has room for a voice mic, acoustic guitar, and another guitar/bass. I can really ANNOY my neighbors and wife. It compares to the California Blonde at a lower price and was rated very well by 'Acoustic Guitar'. At least I like it, but I'm no expert, so what do I know?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000