Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 What in your gear bag?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  07:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I know that some of you 'patchers play gigs and/or open mics. I had the pleasure of playing at a private party this past weekend. It was a good time. Just wanted to compare notes with you. What do you pack in your gear bag?

In addition to my guitar/gig bag and amplifier, I usually bring:
  • two mic stands
  • 1 mic
  • tuner
  • lr baggs padi
  • capo
  • picks
  • nail clipper
  • nail file
  • extra strings
  • extra batteries
  • lots of cables
  • 25 ft extension cord
  • power strip
  • needle nose pliers
  • screw driver
  • cable to connect CD player/iPod to amp
  • business cards
What I needed and will add next time:
  • 3 to 2 prong adapter
  • band-aid bandages
  • duct tape
And with this post, I'm making a list and checking it twice. Anything suggestions?

Andy

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  07:44:41 AM  Show Profile

My list is a lot like yours, Andy, with a few differences.
My list: (though it looks like a lot, I have it down to 2 comfortable trips)
In a soft sided satchel-type case:
1 set cables, tuner, long "orange" extension cord, and a 12 foot "regular" one, 2-3 pronger, "3 plug to 1 plug" socket, Baggs pre amp, "wind" clips for music, light for music stand; 1 set of batteries, small towel, "Spray % Stretch," cough drops, 1 or 2 mega vitamins if it's a long gig or I might be tired, some on my CD's, business cards, hair brush;
In addition: guitar stand, music stand mic & stand as needed; folding "guitar chair."
Most often I also take my guitar, and frequently I come along.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  07:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Folding guitar stand
Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  08:15:06 AM  Show Profile
Oops,
Forgot the guitar amp.
(Fortunately I haven't done that in real life.)
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  10:56:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Someone also mentioned carrying OTC drugs like Tylenol, Pepcid, Imodium. I also like to have some mints.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  12:22:29 PM  Show Profile
And Beta Blockers (Inderol?) for nervousness :-) Hey, it says so in the NYT, so it must be right.

Your friendly neighborhood pharmacist
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  8:08:48 PM  Show Profile
I like Atenolol
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  12:09:24 PM  Show Profile
I have a "ground checker" to ensure the available AC power plug is properly grounded and an adapter to create a good ground if it isn't. There is a terrific video at the Taylor Guitars website that explains that the most common source of amplifier noise is improper grounding. The video shows how to check for grounds using a "ground checker" and the fairly cheap solution for this common problem. Both of these can be found at your local hardware store for under $10.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/see-hear/ Click on the [Noise Recuction] video with David Hosler.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  1:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
I basically bring everything that my sons haven't lost, traded or stolen. It's not much. And never rely on those fateful words, "All these cables/cords are just fine!".

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  3:10:45 PM  Show Profile
Mika'ele
thanks for the video tip
good stuff
solved a problem I was having
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  6:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mika ele

There is a terrific video at the Taylor Guitars website that explains that the most common source of amplifier noise is improper grounding.
Mika`ele,

Thanks for the link. The video was helpful and I already own a ground fault tester. Never thought I needed to carry it with but I am convinced.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  9:11:20 PM  Show Profile
I pack light. Uke, uke stand, tuner, extra set of strings, and most important the music books/sheets cause I haven't memorized all the songs. If needed I'll bring music stand and folding chair. And when I do add a pickup I'll probably add mo' stuff.
FYI Reid its Inderal or the generic propranolol. Good for students taking exams too cause it does slow down your heart rate and lowers the blood pressure. I should have taken some at my last open mike. Or at least drink decaffinated coffee. Which begs the question what do you folks use to help the throat for singing, or what should you avoid?

Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  03:56:13 AM  Show Profile
Genaro,

About lubricating the throat:

When I sing (or try), I sound like a gravel throated frog. At Camp, when we *had* to sing and play publicly(remember?), Sarah suggested a trick Opera singers used. Munch half an apple slowly(without skin) and it smooths everything out, sort of lubrication. I did that and I actually sang that song that Pat taught us (Navigator's Lullabye) and hit every note smoothly, if not artistically.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  04:46:45 AM  Show Profile
I think it is the malic acid in the apple that helps clear extra mucous.

An alternative is to suck on a lemon which also implies it's the acidic component that is key.

I've heard one should avoid milk products, as they increase mucous production.

Aloha,
Sarah

p.s. "hairbrush" is good, Raymond!

Edited by - Sarah on 06/14/2006 04:50:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  07:59:19 AM  Show Profile
I was tongue in cheeck on the Atenolol - I know Beta Blockers are pretty common on the street, but there are some pretty serious side effects, too. In a dose needed to fight stage fright you can run some serious risks. (BTW, over half of the men who use the meds claim they interfer with sexual functioning, and that the effect last 2 - 4 days after last pill.)

If you're gonna use drugs, 2 oz of ETOH is safer and has less side effects (unless you're an alcoholic.)
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  08:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Which begs the question what do you folks use to help the throat for singing, or what should you avoid?

Nothing helps your voice better than warming up before singing. It's worth the dough to take a lesson from a vocal coach and learn some excercises.

quote:
I've heard one should avoid milk products, as they increase mucous production.

Milk, bad. Beer, also bad.

Slippery Elm lozenges are great. So's a little sray bottle filled with water to keep the throat moist.

Here's a tip that no one will believe but it works (a tip o' the hat to Bryan Bowers): If you find yourself with a mild cold or any other situation where you're speaking Phlegmish before a gig, mix 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of cayenne in a tall glass of water and chug it down. It'll give you immediate relief that lasts several hours. Just don't sip the dang thing!!!!

When I was playing bars, I'd sometimes lose what passes for my voice trying to sing over the drums. So I'd have the bartender mix me a shot: 1/2 bourban and 1/2 tabasco. Worked like a charm, and it was usually good for an incredulous look or two from the local barflies.

Happy gigging.

Mark

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000