Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Acoustic Guitar Amp
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  2:23:35 PM  Show Profile
Fran (and Mike),

The pickup/PADI track when recording was just one of 4 tracks. I used it as a component, on the suggestion of both Dave and Mark, as a way of getting a clear guitar pluck and slide sound, especially on the bass notes. Also, as they suggested, I filtered out (easily) all the high frequencies (the high freqs that the pickup/PADI combo produced were wierdly high amplitude, anyway). Anyway, it did its job, I think, as a certain kind of element in the recording. The majority of the recordings' sounds were due to mics.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  3:21:32 PM  Show Profile
Well, I guess I will soon find out. I bought one off ebay for $83. I do not mind experimenting...thanks for the help.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  05:43:39 AM  Show Profile
I have the Carvin Acoustic amp and have "upgraded" to the Califonia Blond. The Blond does not have all the effects of the Carvin, but the Carvin Effects has been causing a hiss. Possibly a bad connection inside the amp.

A friend with the same Carvin has had it in the shop 2 or 3 times for bad connection/hiss problems. I feel it's a nice starter amp because I can have Guitar, Bass, and Vocals on individual channels. But the California Blond sounds so much nicer to my ears.

The Blond was sold to me by someone who "upgraded" to the Schertler Unico. He can carry it in the bag over his shoulder. But it costs twice as much.

I almost went the Fishman Loudbox route, but a deal came along and I got the California Blond.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  06:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

I use an older Fishman Performer Pro, now discontinued and replaced with the Loudbox(es). My FPP is full featured, compact, very heavy for its size, and puts out a lot of sound.
Fran - I hope to hear your play through the FPP one day. I almost bought one because of the rave reviews that I read. And with 240W of power (I think) you can turn up and play some slack key power chords. Anyhow, I would have had to drive an hour to go try it. An AER Compact 60 was available locally which I ended up buying. I love the AER. It's small, light and powerful. Pricey, though.

In my opinion, Ultrasounds are a good bang for the buck but to my ears the AER won out.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  08:23:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Rlowenote

A friend with the same Carvin has had it in the shop 2 or 3 times for bad connection/hiss problems.

The Carvins don't have a very good track record for QC.

Craig

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  08:44:44 AM  Show Profile
quote:
The Carvins don't have a very good track record for QC.
Yes - the general rule still applies, you get what you pay for, however you can pay a lot and not get much more. And in a few cases, you can pay a lot and get something less (buyer beware), like in the case of anything from Monster.

I have a Carvin Stage Mate and it is a good clean amp with 4 channels. I do not expect it to be a great device or an extreemly reliable device. It works better than expected for the price I paid. I had to fix the battery charging circuit once and I believe they fixed the design so that particular problem no longer exists. I also have some... uh.. (fates forgive me) Berhinger gear, but I do not consider the Berhinger gear anywhere near as good as my Mackie gear, and this has proved to be the case. P.S. I also have some Monster Gear (had to buy in a rush), and in all cases I can get better gear from a regular quality supplier that does not engage in the super-ficticious-pseudo-science-hype that Monster does.

A car analogy would be like comparing a Kia, a Toyota, and a Rolls Royce. I have ridden in a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud and it was not all that much better than a Toyota Avalon (at 7 times the Avalon price) but a Toyota Avalon is significanly better than a Kia xxxxx (at twice the Kia price)... I.E. the law of diminishing returns is a rule that also still applies.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 01/12/2006 08:53:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  08:36:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I'll second that opinion, Lawrence.

I have a Carvin acoustic amp, which I purchased after an extensive search. I tried amps by AER, Shertler, Fender, Roland, Bose, etc, etc. Including the California Blonde and a couple other high end tube jobs. Also Crate, Vox and I forget who all else.

And yes, the overall "sound" of an amp is very important to me -- I do this for a living after all. But I chose the Carvin because, for me, it had the best combination of features, portability, price, weight (sorry guys, but my days of hauling something as big as a California Blonde up and down three flights of stairs are long gone. (I am talking about the amp, of course. Hauling a zoftig surfer girl is out of the question for many other reasons...)

I couldn't justify spending over a grand for something like the Shertler (great amp) or AER (ditto) for the lousy paying gigs that I get around here. Also, when playing a medium sized room or outside, those little bitty speakers simply won't move enough air for decent coverage.

If price and heft were not a issue, I would have bought the Bose system, BTW.

I'm aware of the quality issues with Carvin. Any cheap *ss product (think Behringer, MXL, etc) has those issues.

My advice? Check it out. Check 'em all out. and decide for yourself.

Happy shopping!

Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  07:48:54 AM  Show Profile
Just recently got my new toy Roland AC60 and as "slackkeygirl" pointed out it's compact -- 20 lbs versus Fenderacoustasonic Jr. 30lbs. Both have 2 channels one for instrument and another for microphone for "crooners". Roland cost more but it's power and compactness won me.

But when I was at a local music store, outside I saw someone using a single channel Roland Cube. The selling point is that you can go AC or DC. The musician told me he gets 10+ hrs on battery.
In the store I saw a Pignose Hog amp. Again AC or DC powered.
So those of you who own either or any other dual powered mini-amp how do you like them?

And is there a compact dual powered 2 channel amp like the Roland or Fender?

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  12:04:23 PM  Show Profile
I have a Pignose Hog 30 watt amp I purchased to use as a bass amp with my Tacoma and Martin acoustic bass guitars. Works well for me and I was able to go over 20 hours between charging when I was using it regularly. I still use it on occasion when electricity is not convenient. It's great for backyard or camping jams when there are many instruments to overpower and acoustic bass guitar. I've even used it when playing with the Mandolin Orchestra while competing with 30 - 40 mandolins. The sound comes through enough to be heard and add the important bass part to the mix.

I also have a Crate Limo 50 watt amp that has two input channels. I also use this one for bass guitar on occasion. One input channel is for guitar and is switchable between two channels with different eq parameters and a gain on one channel. The second input channel can be used for another instrument or an XLR for a microphone. There are also effects available for both channels (one effects selection only). I use this as a practice amp when I need vocals, or from my mixer when I don't feel like firing up my larger amps. It also comes in handy as a floor monitor when hooked up to the mixer monitor out of small mixing boards since it has it's on amplification. Usually 2 to 4 hours per charge depending on how loud and how many inputs being used. There are also RCA input jacks on this amp.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  2:49:09 PM  Show Profile
My Carvin Acoutic Amp works fine and has just the sound I expected. No QC issues here. If I had one, I'd drive over to the factory (30 min) and have 'em fix it anyway.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000