Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Maori Brown Eyes--out of copyright?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  6:33:32 PM  Show Profile
Is MBE now out of copyright? (For recording and posting purposes.)
I recall 28 years ....with one renewal--for a period of 56 protected years...
If this Claude Malani tune is from the 20's, then can we assume it's public domain?

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  05:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Here's a summary of copyright limits I found:

http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  07:28:20 AM  Show Profile
A search on the ASCAP site shows it as still under copyright, to:
EMI MILLER CATALOG INC
% EMI APRIL MUSIC INC
C/O EMI MUSIC PUBLISHING
810 SEVENTH AVE
NEW YORK , NY, 10019
Tel. (212) 830-2036

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  07:42:12 AM  Show Profile
Auntie,

That's good info. For anyone looking for copyright data, the best places to start is www.bmi.com or www.ascap.com

Mahalo,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  08:45:05 AM  Show Profile
Actually, I looked at that ASCAP link and searched in the "ACE database" and found Maori Brown Eyes. The listing does not appear to indicate whether the title copyright is still private or NOT (it just lists the registering entity). It does not seem to indicate whether this registration is for the ORIGINAL work or for just a new arrangement. Nor does it list the date of creation or the date of publication, both of which are needed to determine actual copyright status. A search for "Greensleeves" (a well known public-domain work) returned many hits with many authors listed (for differing arrangements no doubt) with no indication of original authorship and still no indication of current validity of copyright on any of the listings! It appears that being in the ASCAP list does NOT indicate whether a work is still copyright proctected or not, only that it was entered (registered) into this public listing at one time or another.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/28/2005 09:01:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  10:59:14 AM  Show Profile
Like I said. It's a place to "start". Now that you've done all the research, what IS the copyright status?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  11:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I found two web sites that list the copyright as 1942, 1970 EMI Miller Catalog Inc. So, it's not PD.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  3:47:16 PM  Show Profile
I cheated -- asked a friend who owns one of Hawaii's major record labels about the status of "Maori Brown Eyes", and got this response:

"The term is as long as 95 years in some
cases, so I think that the song may still be protected.

"Good place to start is www.copyright.gov it's the website for the Copyright
Office. Go to Basics, then How Long Does a Copyright Endure. Or go to
Publications, Circulars and Brochures, and download 15, 15a(Duration), and
15t (extension of terms)."

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  5:13:11 PM  Show Profile
Now is there ANY doubt here why there are so many Lawyers??!!

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  12:24:55 AM  Show Profile
Ok, so 1942-70 is 28 years...
1970-98 is another...
If my lawyer says it's ok then maybe I will...
So was the original was in 1942? Doesn't that make the song itself PD?
Wonder where the "as long as 95 years" concept originates...
I'd like to protect my originals that long!
If it was from the 20's, then we only need to wait till 2015, and then we pounce.
perhaps we should go to Harry Fox Agency, who pretty much administrates royalties and last rites on all of God's songs, and a few of his children...
Now, of course, if I copyright my arrangement, make sure you ask for my permission first...
But if you want to record my version of "Strangers in the Hood"...it's ok with me.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 08/01/2005 12:32:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  07:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
A quick web search shows that it was copyrighted in 1942 by Malani and Johnny Noble through EMI with the copyright renewed in 1970. According to the chart referenced in Fran's post, this puts it in the public domain in 2033.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/01/2005 07:50:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  3:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
A copyright is different than publishing rights. Obtaining a copyright OK, may still not give you permission to publish the song, as those rights may be assigned to a completely different company.

The Harry Fox agency handles big publishing firms and does license limited production of songs. (less than 2,500) they charge around 80 cents per song royalty. You can search their song database for free.

I will tell you now finding out who owns Hawaiian songs is a mess.

Edited by - Ianui on 08/01/2005 3:04:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  8:57:35 PM  Show Profile
So what is the rule for recording copyrighted material for the
Taropatch 2005 CD--Whether It's MBE, or anything that is currently still under copyright?
Guess it's time to write an original, or go PD....but what is 95 and still "in the groove"?
Well, in 42 years, it could be me...
yeah, right...guess I'll roll the odometer back.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  07:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
In order to avoid copyright issues, our rule for previous CDs was that submitted songs had to be original, public domain, or submitted with the permission of the copyright owner.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  07:55:17 AM  Show Profile
quote:
In order to avoid copyright issues, our rule for previous CDs was that submitted songs had to be original, public domain, or submitted with the permission of the copyright owner.

That was the rule for submission to your soundclick page Craig.

But it was NOT the rule for submission to the disc set. There were submissions of personal performances of copyrighted works on both of the last two CD sets without permission of the rights holders. New works based on copyrighted material were deemed to be OK for the disk set as long as we limited the distribution to those who have contributed (i.e. - the students) AND as long as there was no "profit" involved for the producer. In this case we were operating under the educational fair-use provisions of the copyright act(s). Of course, we certainly SHOULD NOT even think of publishing beyond the TP submitters unless your above precautions have been satisfied!

Here was your first post with the "rules" (for the 2004 collection):
quote:
4. If it's an original song, is in the public domain, or you have the permission of the copyright holder, let me know if you want me to also put the song up on the TaroPatch SoundClick page so everyone can listen to it. Otherwise it's only going to go on the CD (see below).

5. Indicate whether you would like a CD or tape of the finished product. (I've heard rumors there are still tape users out there. Sorry, no 8-track.)

6. Send US$5 to cover the material costs of your copy.

As with last year, you will only get a copy of the CD (or CDs if there are enough songs) if you contribute to it. This avoids potential copyright issues and means you're only baring your soul to those who have dared to bare theirs! If you indicate that your song can be shared with everyone (it must be an original song, be in the public domain, or you have the permission of the copyright holder), however, then it will be made available for listening and download from the TaroPatch SoundClick page in addition to appearing on the CD.

In any case, Kapila Kane's question may not relate to the new disk set, but may relate to an entirely different project he is working on.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 08/02/2005 09:33:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  11:05:09 PM  Show Profile
Actually Lawrence, it's both--at least in my dreams.
I want to get something in for TP project...which is testing my skills to apply guitar to the next "Headin' West" like project that's mostly spinning amorphously through my head.
When that goes "solid" and actually is pressed, any protected material goes through the owner...
and since it was around 8 cents per unit per song back in 1,000,000 B.C. , I prefer to do as much original or Public domain material as my brain and fingers can muster.

But if I would use MBE for TP '05, WHO holds the ORIGINAL rights-- (and not just the copyright of an arrangement)--and is the ONE that I would seek?
Would Dancing Cat know, since they've recorded and re-released many of the "standards" in this genre?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000