Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Party Songs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kh6gi
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  2:20:53 PM  Show Profile
looking for verses to an old time party song where one of the verses is "I had a date with Margie, She looked so porky, She's got the personality, To suit my sexuality." Another verse starts out, "I had a date with Lucy, her lips so juicy, ---."
Ted, Honolulu. kh6gi @ arrl.net .

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  3:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha,
Are you tinkin' of "Living On Easey" ("I go see Maggie, she is so porky,....). Gabby & Atta did 'em.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  6:39:35 PM  Show Profile
Another version of that tune, "Livin' On Easy", is on "Hanapepe Dream" by Taj Mahal & The Hula Blues. It's a great album, and highly recommended!
Hope this helps.
Aloha,
Froppe
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  1:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Yeah, that one's great.
You can imagine this as an hour or so long song that each player in a kanikapila would come up with yet another name (Nancy, Too Fancy; Betty, Too Petty; Rhonda, Drive One Honda; Linda, East Endah; Abby, Too Crabby; Jill, Just A Pill; Wendy, Is So Trendy; Rebecca, Can't Hold Her Lickah; Saddie, A Little Too Shady; Sasha, Eat Too Much Kasha; Caroline, She Cook Da Taro Fine; Kate, When Her Husband Late; Samantha, She Growl Like Panthah; Mary, Her Cat's Too Hairy; well, I could go on...).
But Gabby doesn't seem to sing "sexuality", but "genneology". Does anyone know what this means? Or did anyone notice that "Maggie" and "porky" don't really rhyme??

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2006 :  3:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
It's Bwops, call de cops

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  03:50:31 AM  Show Profile
I think Gabby is saying "geniality" ...not "genealogy."
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  09:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Sorry Sarah,
It is indeed "genealogy" to which Gabby is referring. The choice of this particular word made "Living on Easy" more risque and fun. The word "geniality" just wasn't a part of Pop's vocabulary.
Peter M.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  10:34:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Maybe it's an LDS thing. . . . [Joke! It's a *joke*! Don't want to get into a Chef thing here.]
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  12:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Peter, for the correction. And here I've always been imagining a genial guy in the lyrics.

Aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  3:49:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
I think it IS an LSD thing. Why in the round world would you want to visit someone who is "so porky"? There seems to be no discrimination here. Positive and negative qualities are equaniminous. "I go see Kathy, see into Necromancy..." (because it's a 'stiff'?), " "I go see Pia, 'aole pilikia", "I go see Heather, she like one tether", "I go see Molly, she like my lolly", "I go see Blinda, not sure which gendh", "I'd run see Mariah, but I got diarreah", "I like Matilda,'cause she go like Bob Da Bildah"..., I could go on.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  3:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
O. K., call da cops....

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

kh6gi
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  11:40:24 AM  Show Profile

I'm alivin' on da easy, with a bottle of whiskey, ain't got no money,to soothe my honey.

Thats the one! Thanks for the reminder, guys. You are all young squirts. When I heard it back in the late '30's, it was Margie, who looked so porky, and it was geniality, sometimes personality, that suited my sexuality. Geneology is too "highbolic" (high toned)a word for them days, and having to do with her ancestry doesn't seem to make sense. Geniality can easily be mistaken for Geneology!

Someone questioned, why "porky". In those days to be a little "chubby" was attractive, it made her more "formy" (= more for me!)

Ted
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000