Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 reseach query & eBay treasures
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  10:55:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
As some of you know, I'm working (interminably) on a book about the slack key tradition. I just acquired a copy of East is West, the old Waikiki Records LP from which three of the tracks on the The Best of Hawaiian Slack Key with Gabby Pahinui compilation CD were drawn.

The album seems to come from one set of sessions using the same group of players--a kind of nightclub/hotel-lounge band that includes piano, vibes, clarinet, and flute as well as guitar, steel, and bass. Eddie Spencer is the "principal artist" on the album, and I suspect that this was his regular working group, of which Gabby was part in the 1950s and early 1960s. (Some on-line references call Spencer's band The Queen's Men, presumably after the Queen's Surf, where Spencer & co. played.) Does anyone know about the band and its personnel? The LP also includes feature tracks by Joe Secritario; a woman vocalist, Phyllis; and a nice (and apparently un-reissued) steel track by Gabby, "Paradise Isle," in which he shares the lead with the clarinet (!).

I'm trying to fill in the blank spots in Gabby's professional life, especially all those years spent playing casuals and recording sessions. That whole Waikiki-club era is hard to research except through the memories of the shrinking population of players and fans who were around then, and the now-middle-aged youngsters who hung out with their elders and might recall what they heard. Any memories (first or Nth-hand) or suggestions?

BTW, anyone looking for old Hawaiian music should search eBay--I've been filling in the holes in my slack key collection, and there are still treasures out there, such as a sealed copy of Auntie Alice's only LP:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUNTIE-ALICE-NAMAKELUA-Slack-Key-Hawaii-lp-SEALED_W0QQitemZ4854659879QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

which expires tonight. I've also seen copies of Leonard's first 45 release and early Sonny and Gabby singles go for what looks to me like modest prices.

Now if someone will just offer up copies of In Hawai`i the Story Starts and Sonny's Ka Aina O Hawai`i, I'll have most of my want-list items.

Edited by - Russell Letson on 03/27/2006 1:10:36 PM

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  3:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi Russell -

I sure wish you finish the dang book!

I think you should get in touch with Joan Kalahiki -- she was on the scene during the time you are talking about and seems to have known everybody. She's been coming to the Aloha Camp on and off and blew away Byron Yasui, Kevin Brown and myself with her stories last year. I'll e-mail you with her contact info.

I'll be traveling for the next week, so patience, please.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  5:44:59 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Russell--

My mother was a hula dancer during the '50s and early '60s in Waikiki. She danced at the Waikiki Sands primarily (next door to Queens' Surf, I believe). I asked her if she remembered Eddie Spencer; she said she remembers him but couldn't provide any specifics. She remembered that he did all the talking for the group and was quite an entertainer. I have another family friend of my mother's generation who is quite knowledgeable about Hawaii's music history, especially that era. I'll see if I can get his permission to share contact information with you. He might be helpful.

Duke
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  6:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Thanks to Mark and Duke--information comes from all kinds of directions, and every little bit helps. In fact, I often feel that I'm not so much writing a book as assembling a mosaic.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  8:41:05 PM  Show Profile
Why not try to reach Gabby's sons: Cyril and Martin come around and play here in California every so often. In fact, I'll see Cyril tomorrownight. I'll mention this thread to him if I get a chance.
Aloha Julie
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  06:05:20 AM  Show Profile
Russell,
I'd contact Kevin Brown. Last year I was at the Waihe`e jam and one of Kevin's uncles was there. He was an elderly gentleman who had been a professional musician on Oahu for many years. (I don't remember his name). He is still an amazing talent and did many old standards in falsetto. He might be an additional source for your quest.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  06:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I've interviewed Bla, Martin, and Cyril (the last several times over more than a decade), but their recollections of the details of their dad's professional life in the 1950s and early 1960s aren't quite as detailed as is needed for the book--after all, for the period I'm looking at, Bla was in his teens, Cyril was around eight to ten, and Martin seven to nine. They've been quite helpful for the Gabby Band period, but that Waikiki-scene era is tough for those of us who are merely middle-aged. Even when I visited Hawai`i to do research, it was hard to find any of Gabby's contemporaries to talk to. I did eventually find my way to Noelani Mahoe (who covered the early days of Tradewinds Records very nicely), but when I called up Bob Lang (the engineer who did many of the crucial recording sessions), he was too ill to talk, and he died a few months later. There are a few more contacts left on my list (notably Harry Soria, Sr., Don McDiarmid, and Jean Sullivan), but the list is getting short.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  07:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Russell,

I just sent you an email.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  9:51:58 PM  Show Profile
Auntie Nona Beamer once told me a story about Gabby which I won't repeat here, but she might be a resource for your story. She is currently living on Maui with Keola and Moanalani Beamer while recovering from a health crisis. You might be able to reach her through friends on this site.

Me ke aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000