Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Bay Area Institute of Hawaiian Music!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  1:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Aloha folks!

I've missed my taropatch 'ohana and hope all of you are doing well. This will be one of several posts that I will be revealing within the next couple days if not sooner. These past months, besides touring and teaching, I have been gearing up and focusing on producing and now promoting Hawaiian performances beyond slack key.

However from the start my goal has been with slack key, to create "opportunities" to listen and learn from master artists as I did in my youth here on the mainland. Opportunities that came because I was in the right place at the right time. And here we are..

Aloha!
Patrick Landeza

"The Bay Area will have a opportunity to study Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar from the genre’s legendary performers. The Institute of Hawaiian Music will offer three classes this summer featuring Slack Key Masters Cyril Pahinui and Dennis Kamakahi. Both are offering guitar classes in their own distinct styles. A songwriting class will be offered by Hawaii’s prolific living songwriter, Dennis Kamakahi. Limited enrollment so register early!"

The Institute of Hawaiian Music Presents
Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar workshop with Dennis Kamakahi and Cyril Pahinui
Monday-Thursday August 22-25 6:30pm-10:30 depending on class choices
DaSilva Ukulele Co. 2547 8th Street, Suite 28, Berkeley, CA

$75 registration fee includes one class and materials.
Enroll in two classes for $125
Classes are two evenings two hours each evening.
For registration and class info call: 510.452.4266
You can also email us at landezapresents @ yahoo.com

Class Schedule:

Monday & Tuesday
8pm-10pm Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar with Dennis Kamakahi

Wednesday & Thursday

6:30pm- 8:30pm Songwriting with Dennis Kamakahi
8:30pm-10:30pm Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar with Cyril Pahinui

Course Descriptions

Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar with Dennis Kamakahi

This class is geared towards the guitar player that is familiar with open tunings or is fairly proficient in guitar. (If you have taken slack key classes, attended slack key camps in Hawaii, went through Ozzie’s and Hanson’s books and want more then you belong in this class!)

This master's style of slack key is very distinctive. With his steady alternating bass and sweet melody line, you can almost swear that you're hearing two instruments. The class will touch on advanced licks in G Taropatch as well as finding melodies and scales that will help with improvisation and lead to a song. With some convincing you can possibly get him to show you the precious C Maunaloa Tuning as well.

Slack Key with Cyril Pahinui - The C Major Tuning

I'm sure you've heard the stories about how slack key players in the old days would never share their tunings, would play in the closet, even going as far as de-tuning before setting their guitar down! Not Cyril! This slack key "no holes barred" is for the proficient guitar player that is familiar with the fundamentals of kiho'alu. Part class and part lecture, listen while Cyril shares rare stories of his father, slack key great Gabby Pahinui, along with other greats such as Atta Issacs and Sonny Chillingworh, all inspirations to Cyril. This class will cover scales in the C Major tuning along with chords and picking patterns, which will lead to a song. This course is for those who are proficient in guitar and want to learn at the next level.

Songwriting and Beyond with Dennis Kamakahi

Considered as one of Hawaii's most prolific songwriters, this is a rare opportunity to study under Hawaiian music's legendary composer. Dennis Kamakahi has composed over 400 songs both in Hawaiian and English. Among them many Hawaiian standards such as Wahine Ilikea, Pua Hone, Koke'e, Ka Opae just to name a few. He has recently contributed his talents on the theme song of Disney's Lilo & Stitch 2 which will be released in 2006.

This class will cover basic songwriting principals that Dennis uses in his compositions. An instrument is not necessary but you are encouraged to bring one. The class will touch briefly on accompanying yourself with instrument and finding melodies and rhythms that fit your composition. You are also encouraged to bring your own original songs, complete or incomplete since there will be an opportunity to share with Dennis for evaluation or assistance. Please note that this class is geared more towards the composition of English songs and not Hawaiian composition.

THE INSTRUCTORS

Dennis Kamakahi

Dennis Kamakahi is one of Hawai'i's most prolific and popular songwriters, responsible for such local standards as "Koke'e", "Wahine 'Ilikea" and "Pua Hone". He is also a warm, evocative singer and a slack key master firmly rooted in the tradition. Dennis first achieved local stardom in the 1970's with his group Na Leo O Nu'uanu. The band recorded the first 'Ia 'Oe E Ka La series with Palani Vaughan with the hit song, Ka'a'ahi Kahului and was featured at the Waimea Music Festival (Hawaiian Woodstock). In 1973, Eddie Kamae asked him to join the Sons of Hawaii. Then in his early 20s, he took over as the groups slack key guitarist from none other than the legendary Gabby Pahinui. Now a legend himself, Dennis has recently begun to increase his commitment to teaching by participating in the SFCA Master-Apprentice program and in workshops across the islands and continuing to tour the nation performing and teaching. He is currently working on a book and a film documentary in collaboration with his brother, Professor Jeffrey Kamakahi of St. John's College in MN. The film will cover the history of Dennis' more popular compositions which today have become hula and Hawaiian standards.

Cyril Pahinui

Blessed with an instinctive, almost magical sense of rhythm and improvisation, Cyril Pahinui continues to advance the legendary musical legacy of his father, the late Gabby Pahinui. Cyril's striking compositions, powerful interpretations of Hawaiian classics, and expressive vocals reflect a highly developed artistry, placing this gifted musician easily in the ranks of today's most acclaimed guitarists and composers. Pahinui has played the prestigious Carnegie Hall on two occasions and continues to tour the world as an ambassador of slack key guitar. This slack key legend rarely teaches so we are honored to have him at the first series of the Hawaiian Music Institute.

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com

mattwong
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  06:36:56 AM  Show Profile
hi patrick,

I'd be interested in cyril's class. when does it begin? please tell me how to get more details. nice seeing you and and the oahna at the aloha fet last sunday.

mattwong
Go to Top of Page

mattwong
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  06:38:30 AM  Show Profile
patrick ,

stupid me, I just read the rest of the info on your post. dduuuuuhhhh!!!! never mind, brah.

mattwong
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  7:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
lol! No problem Matt!!!

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000