Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Sam Lia Story by Dennis Kamakahi...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  7:30:13 PM  Show Profile
It was in June, and at the Ritz on Maui concert that Dennis Kamakahi introduced a song that referred to Sam Li'a, a songwriter and violin player. The story related to his departed wife, and how he could sense her on his face when he stood in the spray of the waterfall--I think in the Wapio valley...

So, what was the song he was introducing? Wahini Ilikea? Was the song inspired by Sam, or was it actually another song writtem by Sam...and if so, which song?
Dennis does tell a good tale about his inspirations.
I'll see what turns up on Google, but as you know...it's only second best to Tarooglepatch.
Obviously, as a taro fiddleist, I'm interested in more Sam Lia info, even if the initial question remains a puzzle.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 08/08/2005 11:19:27 PM

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  9:03:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Someday, perhaps, we'll be able to watch Eddie Kamae's movie about Sam Li'a and learn more. Eddie was fascinated enough to make a documentary about him.
I wasn't at the concert with Kapila Kane, but the song might have been Hi'ilawe, a song about a waterfall in the Waipi'o Valley. It is credited to Sam Li'a.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  03:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
The documentary is great! Sam Li'a Kalainaina, Sr is credited for composing Hi'ilawe. I know the song you speak of and you should contact Dennis himself he would love to hear your interest..

Aloha!

Patrick

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  04:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
FYI, I removed the email link above. Please contact him via his member profile.

Also, if you get an answer offline, can you share it here? Or maybe Uncle Dennis will reply here?

I'd like to hear more about the story too. I thought that Hi`ilawe was about a secret love affair. Since Uncle Dennis met Sam Li`a, it'd be fascinating to hear more.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  10:30:35 AM  Show Profile
Sam Lia's explanation -- as told to Larry Kimura -- is included with the song's info here:
http://www.huapala.org/Hi/Hiilawe.html

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  12:27:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Sam Lia's explanation -- as told to Larry Kimura -- is included with the song's info

Yes, but the song Gordon is refering to is not Hi'ilawe. I believe the song is unpublished (but I always need to add the caveat that my memory is not necessarily reliable about these things...) and that it compares the wahine to a certain flower. It is quite beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  1:07:00 PM  Show Profile
I believe the song referred to is one that Kevin Brown sings regularly. We can ask him too.

Duke
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  1:08:13 PM  Show Profile
It's good to remember that "kanikapila" means "play the FIDDLE".
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  1:23:54 PM  Show Profile
Eddie Kamae goes into great detail on how he met Sam, the songs Sam wrote, and what a character the man was in Eddie's Book, "Hawaiian Son: The Life and Music of Eddie Kamae". There is too much detail to repeat in this forum.

The book is an excellent read and a real insight into Dennis and Eddie's relationship. You would really enjoy the book - I did. You can order it from the Hawaiian Legacy Foundation http://www.hawaiianlegacy.com/book.html

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  1:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
I'm just guessing, but from the brief description of the imagery and the possible kaona, I think the song is Heha Waipio.
Peter Medeiros
Go to Top of Page

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  6:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message
Aloha Everyone,

The song you are referring to is called Hinahina Ku Kahakai (My Flower By The Sea) written by Sam Li'a and dedicated to the memory of his wife, Sarah.

Aloha,
Dennis Kamakahi
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  7:43:55 PM  Show Profile
So Dennis, next obvious question is, will we hear you doing this on your next CD???

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  12:08:29 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo,
I'll never Google again.
Taropatch, the ultimate search engine.
checkin' on book and video availablity...my old computer was choking on links tonight. Good thing I live in a single story house.
But my research team is worth every penny!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000