Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 CD Loopers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  2:23:56 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried any of the CD looper programs that are available? For those of you unfamiliar with the technology, it is a program that allows you to isolate a section of a melody on a CD and then slow it down without changing the pitch. I was thinking about purchasing one to help me when trying to learn a piece by ear. I want to get away from my dependence on tablature - it's almost as addictive as nicotine.

I thought that a CD looper might be useful when trying to learn new licks/vamps by allowing me to slow down the piece and pick out the notes. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo

All Thumbs

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  3:16:52 PM  Show Profile
Haven't tried the computer programs, cause it is inconvenient to play next to my computer -- but i really like the Tascam stand alone "Guitar Tutor." You pop it a CD - -- you can choose any section of a song and create a loop which will play over and over -- you can also slow it down and keep reasonable tonal fidelity. Other features I didn't use include ability to plug in and play along with a CD -- bunch of different special effects. Street prive of around 150 USD was very worthwhile for me.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  3:43:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Audacity is a free recording program that includes the ability to change pitch and tempo as needed, and includes the ability to select a section and loop it. It also works as a digital recorder, format converter, and with a free plug-in can create MP3s.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  3:56:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey Fran,

Have you used Audacity long enough to evaluate it against Adobe Audition (formerly CEP)?? Which is easier to use, which has more tools and functions, can record more tracks, etc? (You know, the usual questions). Perhaps you can respond as a new topic so that this one is not "hijacked".

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

shorebreak
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  4:28:12 PM  Show Profile
Aloha All Thumbs,

I have used a program called 'transkriber'. It is the best that I have seen for what you want to do. One great feature is that there is a storage library for all the tunes that you download. You can further save different portions of the same song you are working on in subheadings. I personally have probably over a hundred tunes in the library with hundreds of subheadings. It allows you to create loops and change the starting and ending of the loops with a curser. It also can changethe tune to any speed without changing the pitch and can change any tune to any different key you might want. You can get it for 49.00 downloaded through Reed Kotler music. No I do not own stock in the company! It's just that it is an incredible program.

Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  4:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all -
I am switching from a PC over to a Mac (PC dying a slow death, iMac free). What systems are you working with? I love the iTunes on the iMac. Right now I just listen to the song over and over. Slowing it down would be great!! so many recordings have multiple instruments and I'm not astute enough to separate them out. Are these programs platform specific?
mahalo!!
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  5:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Lawrence, I don't use Audacity, I only play with it. I find its interface straightforward but that's about all I can say. I haven't even installed Audition, I'm still recording and processing with Cool Edit Pro.

Nancy, Audacity includes Mac, Linux, and PC versions.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

sdm
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  6:29:54 PM  Show Profile
Transcribe! is another shareware program which permits slowing down CDs, mp3s or mp4s. Easy to loop, at any speed you want, without affecting pitch. It also has a frequency analyzer which lets you identify specific notes. As well, as some tools to keep track of measures and sections of songs - useful for transcribing the songs to paper. I've used Transcribe! for exactly the purposes you cite - studying and learning licks and vamps, etc.

I've used Audacity for recording, but not for analyzing. Didn't know it could do that.

Edited by - sdm on 02/03/2005 6:32:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  6:45:12 PM  Show Profile
I would suggest upgrading to Adobe Audtion 1.5- it's got a lot of new improvements over the old CEP.

Whee ha!

Larry M
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  6:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I use Audacity all the time for recording, and find it to be an excellent program, especially since it is FREE.
I have also used a program called "The Amazing Slow Downer" which loops, changes key, and of course
slows songs down.

Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  7:31:01 PM  Show Profile
I've used the amazing slow downer (http://www.ronimusic.com/) and like it. It does all the things you mentioned you were looking for. You can download a trial version then buy it for $40-something.

duke
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  09:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Auntie, i use a Mac and they have a Mac version of Amazing Slow Downer, it works great.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2005 :  1:45:15 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo!
I'll give it a try. Actually, thanks all! I never knew anything like that existed and it sounds like a big help.
auntie -

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  05:17:52 AM  Show Profile
THis is too cool! I had no idea such s/w existed (and I am a s/w nut case!!)

Thanks SO much!!

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  07:15:33 AM  Show Profile
As I expected, the knowledge base of those on Taro Patch is exceptional. With all of the great info. on transcripton software, my only problem now is trying to figure out which one to try! I think I'm going into sensory overload, which is not all that difficult for me. Maybe I'll try several and see which ones work best for me.

Mahalo nui

All Thumbs
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  2:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
As Raymond posted the Tascam is great and very inexpensive. You can loop as well as slow down the tempo without changing pitch. Plug in your guitar to the tascam and run a cable from the output on the tascam to your amp.Insert CD in Tascam and play along with the CD.

Works with any instrument you plug in Uke, Steel, Guitar

Edited by - Ianui on 02/07/2005 2:58:00 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000