Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Peter Moon's Video
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jake Provonsha
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2002 :  09:58:00 AM  Show Profile

I've had the Peter Moon video, Magic of the Ukulele, for a couple of months now and find it wonderful but less than perfect. His tune selection is great because it is Hawaiian music and not campfire songs. The performance of the songs and the video coverage would rival any performance video. I'm still entranced just listening to this genius and his back-up guitarist play the songs. The basic instruction of the songs is complete but he is a master musician, performing some pretty advanced stuff. That is where the explanation of what he is doing seems lacking. The camera angles often show his right hand while your ear listens to some dazzling runs that the left hand is performing out of view. It is enough to make a guy pop for one of those high priced study recorders that slows down the lick to a fraction of the performance speed. That brings me to my question; does anyone have any feedback on one of those music study recorders?
By the way, I got the video from:
BVK Enterprises
94-413 Opeha Street
Waipahu, HI 96797
(808) 676-2772/Fax (808)676-2771
There service was excellent!

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2002 :  1:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
yes thats a great video but it sure needs a tab booklet to go along with it.there are some good computer programs to slow down music. i recently downloaded a free trial version of a program called the amazing slow downer that seems work well. available for windows and mac, find it at...www.ronimusic.com/amsldowin.htm

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2002 :  02:57:23 AM  Show Profile
I use the Sabine -- works well and is cheap. The trade off is that you can only process about 20 seconds of seng at one time. Still, for under $50.00, a nice tool. (PS You have to take the sampling from a digitial source like a CD -- not from analogue tape,
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Jake Provonsha
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  5:19:12 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to both of you for the response. I did download the trial version of the slowdown software and it looks like it might work well for study. I've got to check my TV to see if a jack can be plugged for audio output. I'm no audio techie, so getting the sound from the VCR to the computer has me stumped but there must be an easy answer. It seems that the computer software would be a natural for taking audio off a cd. Maybe a letter to Peter Moon asking for a follow up book of tabs for the back fills he demonstrates or something? Yeah, lets hang onto that dream. I'm encouraged by what there is on the video but frustrated at my inability to follow his rapid left hand work. By the way, I did get the Bob Brozman video and there is a lot to learn on it...but he is tuned to ADF#B and I prefer CGEA (with a low C). Not a big deal, however the National tin can uke he uses sounds like fingernails on the blackboard to me. Oh well, as why hard for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000