Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 How did you discover Slack Key?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  6:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Basilking,

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  12:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
I've heard slack key as "background sound" for years (my folks love Hawaiian music), but I didn't really pay attention to it until during the Christmas season of 1998 (or was it '99?), when my husband and I went to see George Winston perform at Chico State (California). He did his usual piano favorites (did you know he plays in stocking feet?--white socks, nonetheless), then, mid-show, brought out his guitar and proceeded to give us an introduction to his "new" passion, slack key guitar.

The sounds were lovely and it was especially telling that slack key had affected George a great deal because he became very vocal and warm in his explanations--the other concerts I've seen him at he was a bit aloof, as he was during the piano portion of this one. But when he brought out the guitar he became animated and fully engaged with the audience. That was when I decided to investigate it more--and it wasn't until last summer that you guys gave me the courage to try to make some music of my own by picking up Ozzie's book/CD. Thank you! I'm still on Manuela Boy, but I'm loving it!

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

Slackhead
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  7:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Slackhead's Homepage
I had a couple of Hui Ohana albums I had bought on a trip to Hawaii, and I really enjoyed listening to them. I didn’t play the guitar, but I loved the music. One day on a trip to Oahu (this was around 25 years ago) I was in a music store and a TV mounted on the wall showed a grey-haired man playing slack key. I went over to a clerk to ask the normal dumb questions a malihini asks about slack key (e.g. Can you play it on a regular guitar?) The clerk said he didn’t know, but the guy in the video was standing right over there and I could go ask him. I went over talked to the musician for a while (I only realized years later that it was Uncle Ray Kane) and bought some more music.

Around 15 years later I still didn’t own a guitar, but I had made many trips to Hawaii and still loved slack key music. My wife bought us a couple of tickets to a concert at UCLA and we went to listen to Keola Beamer, George Kahumoku Jr, Bob Brozman and Led Kaapana. I’d never heard slack key played live before and I was transfixed. I got to talking story with George during the intermission and I was hooked. George and I became friends over the next few years and we wrote a book together. Then I started working as road manager on the annual mainland tours with George, Led, Cyril, Dennis, Ozzie, Keoki, Keola, Owana, Daniel Ho and others. Clearly, somewhere along the way I had died and gone to slack key heaven.

I think because of my friendship with these top artists I felt inadequate to try playing music myself. Finally, though, around three years ago, I bought my first guitar. As I had anticipated I play it inadequately, but I’m having fun. I now live on Maui and produce a slack key show along with my partners, George Kahumoku and Wayne Wong. I think you could safely say that slack key music completely changed the direction of my life. One of the very best things that has happened is that I’ve been privileged to meet some of the nicest folks on the planet: my fellow slackheads.

Slackhead
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  07:13:35 AM  Show Profile
I continue to be amazed by the folks that are attracted to this site and to Ki Ho'alu!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  07:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Slackhead

...George and I became friends over the next few years and we wrote a book together.... I now live on Maui and produce a slack key show along with my partners, George Kahumoku and Wayne Wong. I think you could safely say that slack key music completely changed the direction of my life...
But why do they call you Slackhead? LOL!

Great to see you posting, Paul.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  10:41:04 AM  Show Profile
I discovered slack key like most people. One late night there was a knock at my door, and when I went to open it, no one was there. But there at my feet was a little basket, and in it was a little baby slack key guitar wrapped in a blanket. I took it in and decided to raise the little Ki Ho'alu as my own.
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  7:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
Vacationing on Maui/Hula Grill/Whalers Village.
Never been the same since!

http://www.stylesupportmidi.com
Bass and Drum MIDI Tracks
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  8:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by slkho

I discovered slack key like most people. One late night there was a knock at my door, and when I went to open it, no one was there. But there at my feet was a little basket, and in it was a little baby slack key guitar wrapped in a blanket. I took it in and decided to raise the little Ki Ho'alu as my own.
~slkho

The blanket was of tapa and the basket was woven of sennit, right?
You are a very good person!
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

lopie
Aloha

21 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  1:25:37 PM  Show Profile
stumbled on a concert long time ago in oahu
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  2:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha kakou!

I actually discovered ki ho'alu for the first time by listening to the Breeze of Hawai`i when it was broadcast on air from Honolulu.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  12:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
I discovered Ki ho'alu by seeing Hapa (Barry Flannegan and Keli'i Kaneali'i) performed and I purchased their CD.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

gcolebeck
Aloha

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  05:13:56 AM  Show Profile
Now this thread is pretty old but I have just to reinvigorate it!

I've found slack key in the last few months - I've played guitar for years, moving slowly from the forgiving environment of very loud very distorted rock to an acoustic environment where I have to make sure my fingers hit the right frets!

Anyway, like a lot of people here I came via bluegrass and country blues - I bought a banjo last year on a whim (thanks Ebay!), then a ukulele. It was the uke that got me here though - I bought Mark Nelson's fantastic fingerstyle uke book because the only thing "uke" means over here in England is George Formby (think music hall variety).

A quick Google found his tab site and I thought "why not?" and gave Ku'u Ipo a try. I was amazed at how lush the tuning sounded. Got hold of Ozzy's book and worked through that, really loving the sound I was able to get out of my old Washburn - it's just so full and lush!

Getting hold of slack key books and CDs is a little tricky here in England, even our UK Amazon tends to be imports only - I'm waiting for my first CD (the Instrumental Masters compilation) but have struggled to get Mark Hanson's book; it's only available as an import for £30 [that's $60!!].

I'm not brave enough to tackle Keola yet, but I've just bought the PDF of Mark Nelson's Old-time tab.

Now, I've never been to the Islands [I guess the Isle of Wight here doesn't really count] but we're planning on our 10th anniversary over there (January 2010); I'll be out for as much slack key music as I can stuff in a suitcase; looking to catch some Hawaiian waves too, the water temperature here in January is pretty chilly [8 centigrade, being about 46 degrees to you!]

Anyway, thanks for the wonderful music!
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  08:25:06 AM  Show Profile
My dad and uncles play slack key so I grew up with it.
Go to Top of Page

DaKineViking
Aloha

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  05:37:47 AM  Show Profile
Old thread, but fun to see! Grew up Hilo, got guitar age 10 (now 64). Left Hilo age 16...never got over that. Friends in itermediate and high school in Hilo taught me first ki ho'alu at recess under banyan tree. Never learned anything except Taro Patch until lately...old man now, still learning. Love old masters AND new...Ozzie, Keola, Cyril...many more. SO...I owe my interest to the great 'ohana in my schools at young age.

Lona
Go to Top of Page

justinalderfer
Aloha

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  08:08:51 AM  Show Profile
I was surfing down in Baja. One cool evening I was sitting around a bonfire listening to the Hawaiian son-in-law and grandson of our friend from San Diego. The father was playing while his son strummed along on his uke. First I listened then I tried playing along in standard tuning while trying to mimic the mans's fingering. I put down my guitar in defeat and listened for the remainder of the evening. The following week I was back at San Diego State and stumbled in to the media room where I checked out the Masters of Slack Key vol. 1, this being the only Hawaiian CD they had. The light bulb went off and I realized this was the style I had heard on my surf trip. It has been 8 years and many open tunings later that I find myself a dedicated student to Ki ho 'alu. My most treasured moment since I began this journey into Hawaiian music just occured two days after Christmas Day '07. A Hawaiian friend of mine down here in South Florida where I live invited me to dinner to hang out with Uncle George Kahumoku Jr. along with his wife Nancy. I brought along my new 6-string uke and got to jam a little with one of the greats. The aloha spirit is still with me a week after an evening with Uncle George. Life as a slack key player just gets better.

Justin

ka loku mele kaona
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000