Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 How did you discover Slack Key?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

RichM
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  3:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit RichM's Homepage
Slack Key Festival August 07 at Kapiolani Park in Waikiki. Ozzie Kotani was on stage with a high school student playing and afterward he said anyone could leqarn, if your interested come see me backstage. So I did, and started lessons. Its only been a few months but I have found the soul I lost years ago.

it has me so well that I went and bought an R Taylor.

I can't stop praying the music and listening to it as I hear the life of old Hawai'i and can see the islands from back in the day.

Music and Ridin'
Go to Top of Page

Kawika96797
Akahai

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  04:03:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kawika96797's Homepage
Growing up on Maui, my Dad taught me to pick songs on a plastic ukulele when I was 10 years old. He used to buy Hawaiian music, but I was not too interested, being a small kid in the 60's. Later on in the 70's I came to Honolulu to continue my education. My classmate was a cool guy who lived in the bushes up on Tantalus mountain with his wife and baby. Being poor students at the time, our transportion was via bicycle. He invited me to ride up to his house one weekend and I just barely made it. If you have ever driven up past Punchbowl Cemetary (National Cemetary of the Pacific)and around Roundtop Drive, you know this is a challenge. So we stopped on the side of the road and he said, "Ok, we're here." There was nothing there. Then he showed me an obscure set of stairs going off the side of the road and down into the bushes. He led me to his house where I met his family and we shared some beer and homegrown. He pulled out an old guitar and told me something about slack key and Leonard Kwan and showed me a few chords and a little "Opihi Mo`e Mo`e". After that, I could never use a regular tuning because I am cursed with small hands and short fingers. Taro patch tuning allows me to play reasonably well with what God gave me.

"I have no recollection of that"
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  12:57:32 PM  Show Profile
Back in '78 I moved from Kentucky to San Jose. About a year earlier my wife's older brother and his wife had moved back from O'ahu, bringing with him the first two Keola Beamer LPs (Keola and Kapono Beamer and Keola's Real Old Style). When I heard this music, it was the most amazing thing I had heard on guitar. I had always wanted to play fingerstyle instrumental guitar, but I was blown away by this sound. I never thought that it was something I would be able to play. In '81 my younger brother-in-law moved to Kaua'i, and we went to visit him after he had been there a while. He had two copies of Keola's first book, so I asked him if I could have one. He said, "Sure," and I've never been the same since.
Since then I have taken some workshops, listened to a lot of ki ho 'alu artists and finally in June went to the Aloha Music Camp and got to play with the Big Dogs. I still tend to play in Keola's nahenahe style that first drew me to the music and mostly in Keola's C and Leonard's F.
Allen
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  12:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
allen, it was great having you at AMC! i hope you make it a habit ^_^

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  2:22:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Big Dog!
I definitely intend to make it a habit!
Allen