Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Aug 20th Slack Key Concert(no longer at Shedd Art)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

napuasweet
Lokahi

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  7:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit napuasweet's Homepage
Aloha Bill Nahalea-Producer and Ukulele Musician Of The Hawaiian Masters Slack Key Concert Set For August 20th WIth Dennis Kamakahi, John Keawe, and Charlie Recaido
At The Shedd Arts Insititue in Eugene Oregon

Frankly, Ticket Sales are Flat in Eugene Oregon, We are Hoping to bring Over a Other Concert in October 2005 But If No One Supports these types of Concerts, Producers and Promoters Might Not Consider bringing in Caliber Type Of Concerts like The Hawaiian Masters Slack Key Concert with Dennis Kamakahi and John Keawe.

Again If You Enjoy Great Hawaiian Slack Key Music IN EUGENE OREGON then Go to
www.theshedd.org And Purchase the Concert Tickets through The Shedd of Arts Insititue
Website.

THE HAWAIIAN MASTERS SLACK KEY CONCERT IS ONLY A WEEK A WAY! BUY NOW!!

Mahalo,
Bill Nahalea
Producer

Attention: Venue appears to have changed and will be to-be-announced. Please see the post below. -Admin

Edited by - napuasweet on 09/12/2005 6:00:14 PM

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  08:23:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Bill: I keep checking, but I still haven't seen anything on the Shedd website about the concert or about tickets - that could be a factor in the low sales (that, and the lack of promotion done in the Eugene area); the support is there in the community, but the word isn't getting out to them.
=Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  11:48:32 AM  Show Profile
Bill, try to get the local Eugene paper to run a article about the musicians in their "Entertainment" or "Features" section before the show. Even better if you can supply the paper with publicity photos of the guys. Give tickets to area radio stations for on-air giveaways.

Also contact all the halau hula and island-focused merchants in the area, with flyers and/or posters for them display. Ditto for local libraries and all the public bulletin boards (usually located near grocery stores, in laundromats, etc.).

And push Shedd to at least get the gig up on to their website. Shame on them!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  7:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
There has been virtually NO promotion about this concert here! Usually The Shedd advertises heavily in all the local papers and to people on their mailing list. Why not this concert? Community support IS here, and we usually get a decent crowd no matter who plays in Eugene. However, like Auntie Maria and Gregg mentioned, the word has not been getting out to folks for some reason. I've put an APB out to our halau and other interested people recently in hopes to generate more ticket sales. I believe a press release was just sent out the other day too. Let's hope that helps out with promoting the show. Our community REALLY appreciates and embraces Hawaiian music and would like to see other performers play here in the future. - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  12:21:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
FYI) As of this afternoon, the show will NOT be at The Shedd Institute (even though they FINALLY put it on the website this weekend!) Bill & Napua are working feverishly to see if they can locate another venue in the Eugene area, so we'll try to get the word out as soon as they can pull something together. Everyone involved wants to make this show happen, but it won't be at The Shedd. As soon as I learn anything, I'll post it here and spread the word.
=Gregg=

Edited by - Retro on 08/16/2005 07:15:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  2:58:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Gregg,

Thanks for the info. I amended the original post (in both places).

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  08:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Bill -

I'm am sorry that you have seen fit to pull this show at the last minute.

I bought my tickets directly through your website some time ago-- I have been charged for them, yet I've received zero confirmation from you. Nor have the tix been mailed to me as promised. I'd sent you a personal note and a request to get some hang time with John along with the rez -- which has also been ignored.

Now I learn via TaroPatch that the venue has been changed with 5 days to go, which usually means "cancellled." Why no direct e-mail to those of us who bought tix? If I hadn't checked in -- cuz most days I don't -- there's a pretty good chance I'd never know until I arrived at the Shedd on Staurday night. Sorry, but that is simply bad business.

I sincerely hope you will refund the tix in the event the show is cancelled. I will check in with PayPal to see what can be done, too. Yet another time suck in a week where I don't have any to spare.

Since I live a long ways from Eugene, I've made non-refundable reservations at a motel. Again, that means I'll be out a bunch of money if the show is pulled.

I'm writing this in a public forum because I'm concerned that a number of people don't understand the ins and outs of promoting shows. So it's always the fault of the audience "they just don't support the music."-- or the musicians "didn't draw an audience." Or the newspapers, or radio, or the hall, or ..... Not to put too fine a point on it, it's the promoter's responsibily. Period.

You came on real strong last spring, essentially announcing that you would be stepping into the Oregon market because no one else could do as good a job. At the time, I wished you luck -- I'm always eager to see a new promoter enter the scene, since it means more work for musicians and more fun for the audience.

In the past week you have blamed the audience for not supporting the show, yet it is the promoter who is responsible for making the show work. Not the venue -- anybody can rent the Shedd -- or any other concert venue, for that matter. I've had discussions with the Shedd about bringing shows to Eugene, so I'm pretty familiar with how they do business. And I've passed on a number of shows, because I know how hard it is to promote a show long-distance.

It is obvious from the lack of publicity and follow-through that you did not realize what's entailed in producing a show in a remote location. That holds true even if your deal was for the venue to provide publicity and ticket sales -- it's still up to the promoter to make sure the details are covered. Sure, it's hard to do when you live a few hundred miles away. No one said the job was easy.

I've seen it happen again and again, and every time I hear the same damn thing:

quote:
But If No One Supports these types of Concerts, Producers and Promoters Might Not Consider bringing in Caliber Type Of Concerts

Hawaiian music, and slack key, does very well in Oregon -- and everywhere else on the west coast --IF (big IF) the show is properly promoted. You could do a little research into who's played where and how the concert grosses & attendence stack up. (That's a basic given in the concert biz, by the way.) You'd find a history of successful shows going back quite a few years at venues like the Britt Festival, Shedd, Wow Hall, Alladin, and many, many more.

Sadly, another given is that people misread a market, or their ability to cope with the dificulties of long-range promotion. So shows fail and the audiences and the artists get the blame.

I'm sure that you do a fine job in your home state. And who knows, maybe you'll pull off a hat trick and save this show. I can only hope you'll have the courtesy to let us know in time to change our plans.

But please do not blame the audience, the artists or the venue. When I was in the concert biz as a full-time job back in the 70s and 80s, I knew there was only one person responsible for the the sucess or failure of each show: myself.

Actually, that's not exactly true. If the show succeeded. it did so because of the brilliant artists and the wonderful audience.

If it failed, then it was my fault.

Mark Nelson
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  12:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Mark: forgive me, but I think that's a little harsh, without knowing the background of what happened - yet I understand completely where you're coming from.

Working peripherally to help Bill & company to pull this together, I can tell you that it was Shedd that pulled out of the deal, after failing to fulfill their obligations (and that refund/exchange arrangements will be forthcoming.) I can also tell you that we are working on an alternate venue (thanks to the suggestions and support of many people in Eugene), and are waiting for a confirmation from them, which we hope to see later today.

I'd suggest holding off on cancelling anything at this point - I've offered to help get information distributed as soon as it is confirmed, and I can't act until then, but the new Eugene venue is almost a completed deal.

Thank you for your patience, your sharing of your talent, and your long history of support.
=Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

Gail H
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  04:47:14 AM  Show Profile
Greetings, Mark and friends. I'll add my two cents (and that's what its worth!) here. When I got wind of the show from Richard "Kaulele," I called the Shedd direclty to get tickets. The person at the desk not only could not find the information on the concert, he did not have a clue as to where to look. I had to call back on another day. The person on the other end of the phone again had no information about the concert, who the performers were, what their background was, and had no names. I finally told the person who was coming to perform and I did order tickets as she found that the concert had just been listed. The tickets never came.

Then on this Monday I got a call that the concert was cancelled and that the Shedd would credit my card.

I, too am not from the Eugene area proper, but I am a memeber of a halau and I will travel to see folks from my home state perform.....IF I find out about the event. It is clear to me that the Shedd lacked clear information and information did not reach the larger public, if my experience is any indication.

Aloha!

Gail H
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  06:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
NEW VENUE CONFIRMED: Gerlinger Alumni Lounge at Univ. of Oregon --- here's what the producers tell me this morning (and as Gail noted, Shedd will handle credit-card refunds for tickets purchased through them, since they cancelled the contract); I hope to see you there:

Aloha,

Due to circumstances beyond our control, the venue for the John Keawe, Charlie Recaido and DENNIS KAMAKAHI concert has been moved to the Gerlinger Lounge at the University of Oregon, at the corner of University and 15th Ave. Same time, 7:30pm and tickets are $25.

To order tickets, you may call 206-542-5594 to reserve your tickets with no handling fee when you pay by credit card, and your ticket will be held at the door. Or you may email us your ticket order for will-call (see www.alohaislandtreasures.net for e-mail info.)
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  07:02:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Great news. Hopefully, all concert goers will get word of the venue change in time.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  3:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
For those of you not familiar with Eugene, here is a link to the U of O campus map to help you find Gerlinger Hall (the new venue for the show). Thanks Mark for the suggestion!

http://geography.uoregon.edu/infographics/uowebmap.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000