Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 MidWest UkeFest
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hoosieruke
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  5:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit hoosieruke's Homepage
MidWest Ukefest
Indianapolis, IN
October 27-30

Loads of Hawaiian performers and workshop leaders. We've made a real push to bring island player to Indianapolis.

Come and see...

www.keystrummers.org

MidWest UkeFest
The Key Strummers
Hoosier Maid Ukes

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  07:47:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Geoff! Welcome to the 'patch.

I have been to the previous MidWest UkeFests and they are great fun. It would really be nice to see some fellow taropatchers there. (Especially with the lineup this year - yowza!)

Me ke aloha,

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  12:47:50 PM  Show Profile
Indiana? That's someplace east of Yuma?
Go to Top of Page

hoosieruke
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  2:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit hoosieruke's Homepage
Island performers include Bryan Tolentino with Hoku Zuttermeister and Chris Kamaka, Kimo Hussey and Byron Yasui. Frewuent iland visitor James Hill will also be here.

MidWest UkeFest
The Key Strummers
Hoosier Maid Ukes
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  1:27:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Hey, Debbie--

I'm going to Indy this year--I'll finally get to meet you in person!

Anyone else?

Tonya

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

hoosieruke
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  07:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit hoosieruke's Homepage
Concert and workshop schedules are now posted on our website. See http:www.keystrummers.org

MidWest UkeFest
The Key Strummers
Hoosier Maid Ukes
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  12:00:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm definately thinking of making the drive down from Cleveland. Looks like a great line-up.
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  09:10:31 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou -

The MidWest UkeFest was this held this past weekend in Indianapolis, and I wanted to let the folks who didn't make it this time know what a wonderful event they are missing. I dutifully wore my taropatch.net button, but the only other taropatchers that I know of who were there (besides hoosieruke, the event organizer) are Tonya, sob, and gbross (and the latter two were performing).

The event began on Thursday night with a preview party at a duckpin bowling alley (!) where I finally met Tonya, who has become another of my 'ukulele heroes. Friday morning and early afternoon were spent in classes: 'Ukulele Strumming with Bruce Evans, 'Ukulele One with Byron Yasui, Learning the Fretboard with Spanky Gutierrez, and Hula with Joyce Flaugher (a make up class instigated by Tonya, who decided she, her good friend Carolyn and I should learn the dance and take part in its performance at the open mike session on Saturday - yikes!) The concert on Friday night was opened by the Key Strummers, hoosieruke's amazing group of students from a local school. Then Bryan Tolentino and the Side Order Band (Asa Young on 12 string guitar and Hoku Zuttermeister on bass) played far too short a set of beautiful, beautiful Hawaiian music. I had been fortunate enough to be hanging around the Kamaka table in the vendor's area earlier in the afternoon, and get to hear a bit of their playing then as well. Those of you who know me can imagine how blissful that was for me! I have seen Hoku's name in the liner notes of many of my CDs, but was ignorant until now of how very beautiful his voice is, especially his leo ki'eki'e. I will reiterate here what others have said before - Bryan's CD (Ka 'Ukulele Lele) is absolutely fantastic. The next performer was Gerald Ross from Michigan, who demonstrated his versatility with a number of instruments. Wow! He was teaching a steel class, but I didn't manage to fit it in - too many classes and far too little time. Joyce Flaugher and Bev Gagliardi continued the Hawai'i theme (yeah!). I really want to thank Geoff for working so hard to increase the Hawaiian presence at the UkeFest. After the ladies, Spanky Gutierrez played, and then Kimo Hussey, who wowed me so much that I decided to change my schedule and do his class the following day instead of the one I had originally planned. Finally, Pops Bayless, Mysterious John and Just Plain Bob ended up the evening, which terminated with a rousing rendition of "Flaming 'Ukulele In The Sky". Well, I should say that it ended up the concert, b/c the evening was far from finished. Most folks were staying at a local inn, and Bruce E hosted a jam session in his room. His wife Karol joined Tonya, Carolyn and I in a hallway hula practice session in front of the elevator, which had us bringing our hula to an abrupt halt every time it opened, as we tried to look nonchalant about hanging out in front of it (or as nonchalant as we could while giggling hysterically...) I had made the poor decision to daytrip from home to save money, so I had to leave a little after midnite to avoid my husband's wrath.

The next day I overslept, so I was only able to fit in 3 classes: What's First with Kimo Hussey, Hula with Joyce, and 'Ukulele: Hawaiian Music Today with Bryan. I suppose that repetition penetrates even the dullest minds, b/c by the end of the day, I was starting to get excited about trying to incorporate the things that I was hearing into my own very novice playing. However, it was necessary to wrest my mind from things 'ukulele and concentrate on our hula performance. Joyce had taught us the hula for her song Kahului Bay, and talked the very gracious gentlemen from Hawaii into playing it so that she could dance with us. What a treat to dance while Bryan, Asa and Hoku played! But trying to remember the movements really interfered with my ability to enjoy the music to the fullest! The song was over rather quickly, thank goodness, but I believe there is some photographic evidence in existence to commemorate the event. After some yummy pizza, we raced over for the final concert. The Key Strummers set the mood again, followed by Byron Yasui. As Byron finished up his set, the gentleman sitting next to me leaned over and said "there's going to be a bonfire after the concert tonight when we all burn our 'ukuleles in shame..." The Windy City Islanders followed Byron, and then Steve Kobe and Karen Harkins played. Joel Eckhaus had us all in stitches as his antics threatened to overshadow his excellent playing. Patsy Monteleone played next, including a lovely tribute to New Orleans (with Geoff, Pops Bayless and Gerald Ross helping out), followed by the Fabulous Heftones, and finally James Hill, playing like the wind (and attaining rock star status in the eyes of the Key Strummer kids, who were whooping it up at his performance). Whew! I had received permission from my husband to stay out late for the jam session after the concert, so we went back to Tonya's room. Sadly, she and I were really the only ones who know much Hawaiian music at all, and my skills were far too deficient to lead songs, so we ended up playing mostly mainland tunes. I did manage to drag myself home around 4 am and collapse in an exhausted but happy heap before returning to the world of soccer, basketball and homework...

Anyway, I know this post is way too long, but I really would like to encourage folks at the 'patch to consider coming next year. I would love to see old friends and make new ones, and I think anyone who attends would enjoy it very much.

Me ke aloha,

Deb

Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  4:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Everything Debbie said--but I'll add two points:

1-- James Hill (who many of you may not follow since he's Canadian and doesn't generally play Hawaiian music) participated in a minor way during the informal session at the Kamaka booth on Friday afternoon. Bryan Tolentino encouraged James to play with them, stating, "We'll make a Hawaiian out of you, yet." At Saturday night's concert, James demonstrated exactly that. In the middle of a vigorous and very non-Hawaiian tune, James threw in a classic island turnaround progression, tossing a big smile to the back of the room where Bryan, Asa, Hoku, Byron Yasui and the Kamaka gang (sorry--I don't know names!) were cheering him on. I don't think many folks noticed it and James went right back into the standard tune, but Deb and I smiled at each other and laughed.

2--Deb didn't elaborate on how very much pure fun we had. I haven't laughed so hard in many months. She's trying to convince me that it's even *more* fun at an Aloha Music Camp--if it is, I'm sure it must be a real treat.

Tonya

P.S. Thanks to Auntie Nancy for her suggestion of the iTalk use with the iPod in an earlier posting. I recorded workshop stuff and Joyce's hula for studying back home. It works great!

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

sob
Akahai

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  1:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit sob's Homepage
Geoff, the Key Strummers and their parents put on a Great Festival! Lotsa fun making new friends and renewing old aquaintances. Thanks to you all for making this an awesome weekend!
Aloha,
Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000