Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 OPEN MIC L&L @ O'SIDE 09.14.05
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  09:03:41 AM  Show Profile
Hey SCSKS minions,
Mark you calendars for our usual visit to L&L, (yes I'll be there)
Dusty/Sheila, Terry/Mary, Bill/Victoria, Keith, Brudda Ken, Craig, Mike, Greg, etc... hope you all can attend.
PuaKai may attend, (the artist formally known as Auntie Nancy...simply recognized by a symbol that looks like a cat riding a surfboard) If so, she's on stage first!! We're going to make her a smooth playing, slack-key monkey if its the last we ever do. :-) I hear she's been practicing with the dedication of a cult member. You go girl, (no build-up pressure aye?) xxo
I hope to debut some new stuff instead of my usual nails-on-the-blackboard muzak. :-)
As usual, food is free to those who are playing. So be prepared for good music & food.
I'll be playing a brief band -intermission- break solo this week at a undisclosed location Saturday. I say undisclosed that way nobody can see me if I crash and burn...its only going to be 2-3 songs, but if I do well, I'll invite you next time...yuk-yuk
-slkho

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  2:14:25 PM  Show Profile
Aiy yiy!!!
I'll pay for my food, thank you very much. There is NO WAY I am going to empty the place for you guys before you even get to play!!! Maybe next year after I have a repertoire. I can't even play a song all the way through to put on Jesse's TP CD. That is my first goal.
Are we all going to practice Christmas Caroles BEFORE Christmas?
I do plan to sneak in to L&L......
PK
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  3:18:11 PM  Show Profile
Great. Thanks for the reminder, Rik.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  3:25:52 PM  Show Profile
Nope PuaKai, SCSKS comes first, Jessie's CD comes second. If you can play for us, then you can play for Jessie.
You can play, I've heard you. L&L is a no pressure place, just like our regular kanikapila's. I have a great deal of faith in you.
But no worries, if you don't its okay too. :-)
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  4:03:04 PM  Show Profile
Last time I was at L&Ls I had only practiced and prepared two songs in two different tunings (C and F Wahine). When I was done there was nobody chomping at the bit to take my place on stage, so I tried to pull from memory in my slow-reacting-aged-mind what I knew in Taro Patch. I made so many mistakes I was looking at me funny. Everyone else looked like it was no big deal. So I stopped, smiled, started over, and tried again. Finally, I had had enough "fun" and pulled the hook.

Really, we SCSKS bubbas were the majority in the room, two other customers while I was playing, and I was so memorable to the restaurant staff, I had to plead to make them believe me that I was with the band and had just played to get free food.

So talk about no pressure. You play real good, you impress the distinguished gentlemen in the SDSKS. You play so-so, you are "improving". You play real bad and Zoom in San Marcos starts to howl.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  3:52:00 PM  Show Profile
Anyone want to try and tackle a duet from Keola Beamer's Book with me? There is Akaka Falls, Ki ho'alu Mischief, and Tiare Tahiti.

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  5:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey mika`ele, which book is that?

we'll be in kona then, so i'll miss this one. and here i was hoping to play for y'all my very first composition (with heavy inspiration from john keawe's songs).

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  08:36:41 AM  Show Profile
The big book with Mark Nelson. 'Learn to Play Slack Key Guitar' published by Mel Bay.

Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  10:07:54 AM  Show Profile
I'll be there on the 14th and I have the book if anyone wants to borrow it and give Mike a buddy for his duo. What I don't know is how Keith can keep running away when he's so busy here..... Rik - bring your guitar for fixing.....
n
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  04:59:02 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know if Bill's coming tonight?
Mike: Did you find someone who would play a duet with you? No, I am NOT volunteering...
I plan to see you kids there, especially if I can find it.
n
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  07:19:24 AM  Show Profile
no volunteers

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  9:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey all,

sorry i missed y'all, but there was this kankapila at dennis and nancy lake's house, see... kona bob and shirley showed up (bass! steel! fiddle!) and greg and chris yeaton, and of course gracie. it was a blast!

aloha,
keith

PS mika`ele, i'll work on a duet with you, it sounds like fun!
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  05:06:46 AM  Show Profile
Keith, we managed without you, while you were agonizing over on the Big Island.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  07:41:38 AM  Show Profile
Kieth who? (ha) glad you had a great time, hope you can make it to Dusty's.

Well gang, looked like another wonderful night of slack-key at the L&L in O'Side. The crowd inside swelled to a massive 8 music appreciative patrons!! (slow night)
Plenty was in store. In attendance was Bill & Vicky & Becky, Mike (mika ele)Dusty (Sheila was out), PuaKai, Terry (chunky monkey), and me (Puaho & Zoom stayed home)
Mike opened up with some beautiful nahe-nahe style slack-key (those nylon strings give it such a nice Leonard Kwan-like sound). Terry followed with John Keawe influence melodies, another treat was Chunk's singing debut. Good show Terry! (Zoom did not howl as he would with my singing) Bill stepped up and anything he plays sounds great...Bill's many years of music really show in meles that exhibit many cross-sections of many musical styles. (if i only could steal his brain...hmmmm?) Dusty was next and like Bill, plays lots of beautiful music. (sitting in the booster chair did not affect his playing. ha) One day I hope to play R-Hula like him.
A wonderful surprise was PuaKai playing and singing!! She has come along way and is a good example of what hard work/practice will do for you in slack-key. Gone was the shyness and tentative playing. She looked and played with confidence. You go girlie!!! Your playing has improved 100% keep up the good work.
I've been doing lots of gourd work lately, and haven't had much time to practice :-( my rustiness showed I'm afraid. I still had a great time though.
Next open mic guys OCT 12th be there or don't. A reminder also for Dusty's kanikapila on Sept. 21st at his house...should be fun.
pau,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  1:53:51 PM  Show Profile
It is so nice to watch others play and see the hard work that has gone-on since the last time we met. Such a supportive and friendly group. Aloha.

So many songs I want to learn now.

das nice

But as always, the free grinds are the real attraction. Just look at my ever-shrinking height-to-weight ratio. I'm undertall for my weight.

we could call it kanika-kahlua pig
kanika-katsu chicken
kanika-macaroni salad

or Nancy's favorite:
KANIKAMALASADAS

my stomach is growling

Keith - sounds good. Do you have the book? There are three duets at the back. I played both parts of Akaka Falls - fairly easy. Would like to tackle the other two.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000