Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 John Keawe Instructional DVD
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2005 :  8:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
Has anyone tried John's DVD?
I emailed him and he says he's using Taro Patch and Open D tunings on the DVD.

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  04:41:57 AM  Show Profile
I've "mastered" it. That is, I've learned all the tunes on it. I'm a huge JK fan and for me this was as close to sitting on his carport as you can get. If you only do one song, it's worth the price. He breaks down 4 of the tunes in considerable detail. The best song on the disc is Mana'olana; although he doesn't break it down measure by measure, he plays it twice and you can pretty much get the flavor of the technique by watching. I recommend it highly. I hope he does more of these.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  08:25:55 AM  Show Profile
I have it as well and agree with Chunky Monkey.

We had a workshop with John Keawe and were able to get some excellent instruction. But as soon as I got in the car driving home I knew I would forget most of what I had learned. The beauty of the DVD is that I can keep playing it over and over and over and over and over . .
until my well aged mind can absorb and slowly pick up some of the nahenahe John exudes.

The best part is that Bruce Lamb has filmed both right hand and left hand and split the screen-close up so you can see what John is doing. I really appreciated the song break-downs as you can absorb the whole song, then digest it in small chunks.

Along with the Ray Kane DVD I think this is the best Bruce has offered so far.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Keone
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  1:23:00 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Gary,

I think by the overwhelming recommendations already written you should get the DVD. But if you haven't decided yet, I can only fervently concur. I have the Beamer instructional DVD as well and although it comes with tab (and the Keawe one does not) and is broken down well (left and right hand views), I still like the Keawe DVD better. I think it's the way he teaches the songs, e.g it's like having a one on one session, and the fact that there is no tab, e.g. I can sit down and play any of the Keawe songs without really thining too much about it. There's no tab to double check what I'm doing, I just play it based on what it sounds like. And the songs are great. Good Luck.

Keone
Go to Top of Page

keanani808
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  12:03:24 AM  Show Profile
just bought this for my husband at the waikoloa festival-he loves it!
Go to Top of Page

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  7:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
Thanks,
I'll get the DVD as soon as I return from vacation.

Edited by - Gary on 09/09/2005 7:37:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2005 :  8:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
Can you please tell me what those extra 2 pegs are that are on John's tuner head of his guitar?
Thanks
Gary
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  9:02:25 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Gary:

The two extra pegs are for instant tuning while he's touring - or playing or whatevah. John can go from Taropatch G to ummm, i think it's open D just like that. . . .

I've got the DVD also and think it's great; very easy to use and I really like the way he sets up changes, with his "little Portugese fingers" I rolled on the floor with that comment. But I also have short fingers (nope, no a bit or Portugese) and it all works for me.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  04:17:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Gary:

You will definitely enjoy this DVD! I got it right after it was released and have been enjoying it ever since. John gives a real nice and concise breakdown of every song except Mana'olana (which he plays twice). I've managed to figure that one out too, by playing it over and over again. I really like the format of how Bruce Lamb puts these videos together. Mahalo, Bruce!

I need a set of these tuners too! I constantly switch from G to D, but now have figured out how to go back and forth without too much difficulty.

M
Go to Top of Page

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  04:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
I thought they might be tuners, yet I've never seen tuners installed on the head of the guitar.
Thanks for the info,
Gary
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  12:07:24 PM  Show Profile
The glowing praise for this instructional DVD was too much, so I ordered one today.

To my delight the guy who picked up the phone was John himself, so we had a chance to talk and for me to thank him again for his terrific teaching last year at AMC.

After he took down the essential information and said it would be in today's mail I inquired about payment. He said, "oh, just put a check in the mail when you get a chance."

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  1:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
About those tuners; I asked John when I had a lesson from him last year, and he said the guitar was built as an 8 string. I believe he said the top two courses were doubled (highest two strings) but he likes it better as a six string.
The guitar was built on the big island close to where John lives. it is a well-worn gitar, and has a HUGE neck for me, and i am 6' 6" with pretty big hands. How John gets around that neck so well (with his "little portugese fingers") is beyond me.

Guess i'd better get my copy of that DVD

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  2:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by catheglass

The two extra pegs are for instant tuning while he's touring - or playing or whatevah. John can go from Taropatch G to ummm, i think it's open D just like that

Are you getting confused with Led's guitar? He has a drop tuner on his sixth string that lets him take the guitar from Taro Patch to Drop C with the flip of a lever:

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/guitarxtender.htm

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  8:43:02 PM  Show Profile

Aloha Craig:

Nope, I may be confused about alot, but not John's guitar. I've seen him change tuning many times, see above for the definitive explanation of how it all came about.
Had a lesson with him last summer in Hawi and we noodled around with the tunings.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  04:53:20 AM  Show Profile
For all TPers who have John's DVD - send him email encouraging him to do more or these. Let him know how much we like this. This kind of instructional material has huge returns for the users (at least, for me). Spread the word and make this successful. I know Bruce Lamb works very hard to get these right and the return for each of them is marginal.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  11:37:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
OK, we can clear up the confusion. I emailed John this morning to order the DVD and he told me thi sbout his guitar
"O.K. Here is the scoop on the extra tuners. The guitar was made as an eight
string with the extra strings being octaves for the 5th & 6th strings. (like
the octave strings on a 12-string guitar) I found when changing tunings that
the octave strings (being very light gauged) would often break. So I
basically stopped stringing it up to 8 strings.

As far as changing tunings, I have Keith banjo tuners on a few strings
which allow be to change tunings a little faster."

So, we were both right; he does have some Keiths on there for faster re-tuning, but the "extra" two were for the second courses of the high E and B strings.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000