Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 John Keawe Instructional DVD
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  12:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
For the curious:

http://zeppmusic.com/keith.htm#keithbanjotuners

The black and silver knobs allow you to set "stops" for the two notes you want to change between on a particular string. Assuming the string is stretched and stable, the stops then let you quickly change the tuner from one note to the other without having to listen for the correct tuning (the tuner stops at the correct position). Cool idea.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2005 :  07:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
I got my copy of the instructional video last night. It is a very nice tool, especially for the good photography so you can see what John is doing the whole time. When I contactd John about the DVD he mentioned he had another DVD out, a sort of history of himself and his relationship to slack key. I ordered it, too. It is almost as good an instructional tool as the other DVD. Very good shots of him doing a variety of different tunes, and if you are used to learning from watching, I would highly reccommend this video as well. The title is "Music with the Island" and can be orderd just as the instructional video through John.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  10:50:22 AM  Show Profile
Karl,
I have both DVDs. While replaying the music DVD my wife remorked she liked John's songs - - - incentive for me to find more of his songs to play. Lo and behold there is a list of all the songs on the DVD in the "menu". So . . I sent an email to John. Here is some help for the songs on the "Music with and Island Touch" DVD.
quote:
As far as the DVD goes, most of the songs were in Taro Patch except for:

Hanaipoe-----------Double Slack (D-G-D-F#-B-D)
Hi`ilawe----------- " " " " (capo 2)
Punahele----------- " " " (D-A-D-F#-A-D)
Me Ke Aloha Ku`u Home O Kahalu`u - " " "

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  07:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Mika'ele,
I may be confused here; I thought Punahele was DGDF#BD, just the third string lowered from taropatch. That is the way John showed me.
If that is the case, are the other s correct for Hanaipoe, Hi'ilawe and Me Ke Aloha Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u? I have not tried playing along with Ku'u Home yet, but watching hiim it looks like he is in open D (DADF#AD) (same as i learned it)

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  4:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Karl,
I quoted John from an email he sent me. Either way, he is wrong at least once.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000