Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 John Pearse slack key strings for $6.30 a set
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2002 :  1:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Anyone who uses or is interested in using John Pearse's slack key strings (a special mix of medium and light strings designed in conjunction with Keola Beamer) might be interested in knowing that you can find them for $6.30 a set (as compared to $10+ elsewhere) at:

http://store.yahoo.com/juststrings/jps-800.html

Shipping is a little steep, so you need to buy a few sets to make it worthwhile, but it's still a good deal.

The company sells most other brands as well. (I don't work for them, I'm just a satisfied customer.)

Craig

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2002 :  01:18:35 AM  Show Profile
Craig,

A L O H A

Thanks for the info on the strings. I think sometimes I'm missing sumptin' about that brand. I realize they are about the only 'slack key' specific sets produced, but, I can't get used to em. However I've only tried them twice. I currently use the nano web elixirs, after finding the original versions far too thick for me. What are you using, guage wise? I generally use a 11 - 53, 52 if I can find them in a set. I admit that I am the original string whore. I found www.juststrings.com and ohmigawd, after reading their site, I was impressed. Prices are average, shipping is cheap, BUT, THEY HAVE IT IN STOCK, as in everything. Need strings for your 2 contra bass strings on your '23 Gibson guitar harp? they've got em in stock. If you or anyone else using John Pearse strings can recommend a particular set you're using.....lemme know. They just sounded a bit dead to me. And last but not least...

I once swore I'd pass this along. General advice here folks, not my own idea, but, and this is spectacular advice if you've not figured it out... when changing strings on a guitar, any acoustic, seat all 6 strings in the saddle before winding even one around a tuning peg. This gives you an open sound hole to reach up into and seat the ball end against the pin, but importantly FLUSH against the underside of the saddle. You simply cannot guarantee this unless you take your fingers and seat the ball end. Use the push pull method, push on the ball and pull lightly on the string. Seat the damn thing. Then attach and tune, stretch,tune as normal.. this is sure to make a big difference in tuning and breaking in times for most insturments.

**this brought to you by my luthier, Gabrielle Hernandez, who told me I was a moron for ripping up the underside of the saddle from not having the ball ends seated. But hey, I'm a dork and played guitar for 25 years before figuring that one out. :)

Andy, I know you read all of these. Got yer note, good advice my friend. Thank you.

Mike

piffle
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2002 :  04:52:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Anyone who uses or is interested in using John Pearse's slack key strings (a special mix of medium and light strings designed in conjunction with Keola Beamer) might be interested in knowing that you can find them for $6.30 a set (as compared to $10+ elsewhere) at:

http://store.yahoo.com/juststrings/jps-800.html

Shipping is a little steep, so you need to buy a few sets to make it worthwhile, but it's still a good deal.

The company sells most other brands as well. (I don't work for them, I'm just a satisfied customer.)

Craig

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2002 :  12:44:51 PM  Show Profile
Another very good source for strings (JP PB Lights or Slack Key sets cost $5.99 for 1, $5.69 for 12) is First Quality in Louisville, KY (800) 635-2021, or www.fqms.com Ship fast, nice people. Tony Rairden, often on rmmga and nice guy, is marketing mgr. They have lots of other stuff, too. I look in their catalog first before I buy.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2002 :  3:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
In response to cmdrpiffle, it should be noted that you can emulate Pearse's slack key set with your favorite strings (such as Elixirs). The diameter of the strings in Pearse's set are (from 1st to 6th): .013, .017, .024, .032, .045, and .056. The NonWeb Elixir lights are .012, .016, .024, .032, .042, and .053. The mediums are .013, .017, .026, .035, .045, and .056. So the equivalent of the slack key set would be the 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 6th strings from the lights and the 3rd and 4th strings from the mediums. You're paying for two sets to get one, so this approach isn't cheap, but some places like JustStrings.com sells single strings one-by-one or in bulk, so you can put together your own custom sets.

Just a thought.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2002 :  12:04:39 AM  Show Profile
Craig,

Thanks Brah. I am going to try your suggestion, simply cause I have lots of elixirs around. I bought 3 sets each of med and light. This when I was young and rich. (Last month) Now, I've come back from Hawai'i and I am old and ...well, 'financially challenged'

QUESTION for you Craig, or anyone (Andy) that cares to comment. Why did the web site administrator 'lock' the topic where they announced the new changes to this site?

Were they afraid of the " tastes great, less filling" comments that were sure to sally forth from degenerates such as myself?

/s/
wondering in Washshita

his Holiness,
The Piffle

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2002 :  12:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Dear wondering in Washshita,

The post in the General forum is locked to keep all feedback in the same place... which is located here: http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=323

I just wanted to be sure to steer people to the Feedback, Suggestions, Announcements area in case they usually do not go there.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000