Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Sean Na`auao: Ka `Eha Ke Aloha
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  5:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I've always been impressed by Sean Na`auao's vocals and music. Glad that he's released another Hawaiian album. Still there is a lot of variety ranging from falsetto to Papalina Lahilahi with a modern drum beat.

quote:
Honolulu Star-Bulletin
Island Mele
John Berger

"Ka 'Eha Ke Aloha"
Sean Na'auao
(Poi Pounder)
Sean Na'auao is one of the few artists of his generation to make a name for himself in both Jawaiian and contemporary Hawaiian music. Na'auao helped define the best and worst elements of Jawaiian music as a member of the Mana'o Company. He next distinguished himself as a solo artist with his 1997 hit, "Fish & Poi." In recent years he has shown a sincere commitment to his Hawaiian culture. This is another welcome step in that direction. As an artist and as a producer, Na'auao gets it all right.

Most important, of course, is his voice. Na'auao has never sounded better. He uses multi-tracking to add backing vocals and harmonies, but "Waikiki Hula" shows his strength as a solo voice. Multi-tracking also allows for more elaborate instrumental arrangements; Na'auao's decision to use traditional instruments and avoid synth-tracks enhances the purity of the music. Having steel guitarist Greg Sardinha sit in on a song or two also works well.

Two of the Hawaiian songs are by Na'auao and his wife, Kau'i: "Ni'ihau O Kanelelani" and "He Lei Makana," which appears to speak of love and a new beginning, although there is certainly deeper kaona (hidden meaning).

The couple also wrote "No Hawaiians, No Aloha" a rollicking hapa-haole anthem that makes an important point in firm but gentle style. Don "King Don 1" Keala Kawa'auahu of Sudden Rush adds militant undercurrents as guest rapper on the selection.

www.mountainapplecompany.com

quote:
By Wayne Harada
Advertiser Entertainment Writer

"KA 'EHA KE ALOHA" BY SEAN NA'AUAO; POI POUNDER RECORDS

Genre: Traditional Hawaiian.

Distinguishing notes: Happily, Sean Na'auao turns to his Hawaiian roots and refocuses on traditional Island music in this excursion through time. The selections here range from traditional classic "Papalina Lahilahi" to the frisky "Ka Moa'e" by Solomon Hiram; from his original (co-authored by wife Kau'i) "Ni'ihau O Kahelelani," reflecting fond remembrances of Ni'ihau, to the title song by Frank Hewett, which tells of lonely times and weeping hearts in the cold of Mauna Kea. The vocals are succulent, sweet and crisp; the tone is simple, recalling scrapbook memories from yesteryear. One non-Hawaiian entry — "I'll Never Love This Way Again," the old Dionne Warwick hit — is out of place, but still brings home an Island mana'o in Na'auao's hands. His ki ho'alu manner is first-rate on his original "Backyard Slack." A stunning extra: the liner photo of the five Na'auao boys. And lyrics of all songs are a bonus for those who like to sing along.

The outlook: Those accustomed to Na'auao's contemporary sound should find a surprise and a lot of nourishment in his purely Hawaiian sound.

Our take: Nice to know that someone still is a keeper of the Hawaiian flame.

Andy

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  6:55:47 PM  Show Profile
Overall, I think this is a very good album, certainly a MUST HAVE for a good library. And it is really good to hear Sean doing Hawaiian material.

My only reservation is that to me the CD has a bit of an overproduced feel about it. I'm afraid with the ease with which digital production makes this possible, and also the desire to make CD's competative on a "Grammy" level we're going to see more and more of this kind of approach. Sometimes, however, less trully is more.

That said, still a great album. A real chicken skin presentation of Ka Ipo Lei Manu.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  07:20:44 AM  Show Profile
I think Keola Donaghy jsut reviewed it in his latest podcast. Some sample songs played. Very insightful.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  8:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Great album! I bought it for the song "Backyard Slack" but have absolutely fallen in love with Sean's version of Ka Ipo Le Manu. I agree with Raymond, it's a real chicken skin arrangement! His vocal style and range are just astounding.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000