Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Sounds of O`ahu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  12:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Sad to say, this is the last post of our O`ahu tour. Tomorrow we're off to the Big Island (it's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it). Tonight we hooked up with one of Lynn's work friends (from that former life when we worked) and had dinner at Duc's Bistro in Chinatown. French/Vietnamese cuisine and Mihana Souza singing to the tables. Even though Hana has been performing for years, she's a long time stand up bass player making the transition to guitar, so she's still pulling her repertoire and playing style together. She treated us to a couple of new tunes she's been learning, then a couple of songs celebrating Moloka`i, and a couple of favorites from her first album. Our friend was totally charmed, of course, and I loved hearing a side of Hawaiian music new to me.

But we couldn't stay for dessert ... we had an appointment at the Waikiki police station. The kanikapila behind the station is apparently a long standing tradition, every Thursday and Sunday, 8 PM to 10 PM. It was well under way when we arrived, 8 or so folks with ukuleles, a dobro, a tiple, a guitar. We were introduced by Gaynor, one of the folks we met at Honey's on Sunday. He and the rest of the players made us feel welcome immediately, and we started right in with "Salomila," "Hi`ilawe," and "Wai O Ke Aniani." As the circle started up again I got to experiment with playing in the key of F with my guitar tuned to G. Hey, it's not smooth, it's not slick, but all the notes are in there somewhere, right?

What a way to end the trip, banging out music while the surf crashes ashore at Waikiki (we're having 4-7 feet on the south side today, the surfers were having a happy happy day). I don't know if the Big Island will have musical experiences to match those of O`ahu, but we're gonna do our best to find out.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page