Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 South Bay Open Mic - Oct 05
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  07:00:01 AM  Show Profile
I had a great time at my first open mic...it was especially nice being able to meet some of the TP ohana and enjoy your company and great music. I am now able to at least put some faces to names. I also want to give a special thanks to KonaBob and Shirley for attending and allowing me to adopt my latest addition to my instrument collection....a brand spanking new 3-string Kona Walking Stick. Thanks Konabob...I've already plugged in at home and played with it. I can't wait until my fumbling actually starts to resemble music. You also inspired me to play my Superior for awhile yesterday. Although, based on my results, if I didn't see it with my own eyes, I'd think it was a different instrument. You made it sing, I can only make it sound like it is being tortured. Always something to aspire to in learning music eh? I assure you I will be a student of music for the rest of my time left in this life.

Needless to say, I will continue to attend the open mics as long as they continue...my current goal is to actually take a stab at a song or two maybe in January. I'm not usually very good under pressure, especially in front of an audience. But to Julie's point, I don't recall any flying tomatoes, so you guys seem pretty safe. Thanks for making me feel welcome and "amoungst friends". Aloha for now.....

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  07:11:34 AM  Show Profile
Rob,

Yes that was a very nice sounding lap steel,
and a pretty one two! Thanks for lending it
to KonaBob for the nite.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  10:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Great photos! Gosh, it almost looked like a reunion of the 'ol midnight beach gang on Maui. What an extra treat to have Kona Bob and Shirley there too!

Rob: You're gonna have lots of fun with your Kona Walking Stick. Enjoy!

Aloha,
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  1:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
It was a really nice hanging out with other Taropatch people at the Open Mic. Thanks Raymond for organizing the open mic.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  06:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I enjoyed the evening a lot too! I am now in Denver, and plan to meet Gordon (Kapila Kane) this afternoon. Thanks to all of you who showed up for the evening. Shirley and I really love having a musical family in California!
-aloha,
Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2005 :  6:00:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kona Bob, it was so good to see you and Shirley here on the mainland and meeting your brother. That was one smokin' night. Your sweet steel guitar playing brought a wonderful dimension to the open mic.

It was also great to see BWOP and Gary A. (wish you brought your guitar), and of course Raymond, since we were the only performers (besides BWOP's sons) at the first open mic about 6 months ago. Nice to see the number of performers and the audience get much bigger! I hope Espresso Garden will let us continue into next year.

Rob, it was great meeting you. Hope to see you on stage soon.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  10:02:18 AM  Show Profile
Maggie...I am having fun with the walking stick...and KonaBob's DVD was very helpful. Doug, great meeting you too, I am hoping to be able to play a song or two in January. I still need to work on playing in front of people...It's amazing, I can play songs flawlessly at home, but as soon as anyone is watching me, I fall all over myself. I'll get there.

a hui hou... Rob
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  10:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Rob!

I'm glad you're enjoying your Walking Stick! Lotsa fun, yah? Don't worry about playing in front of people. You (and I think about 3/4 of us on TP) experience this very same thing. We've had some lengthy discussiona about it here too. I still experience performance anxiety, so you're not alone. I think the more one plays out there, the more experience and comfortable you'll get at playing in front of others. Wish I can wear a bag over my head sometimes, but I wouldn't be able to see what I'm playing. Keep at it though! Those open mics seem like a very good place to practice and show your stuff!!! Yay for you for getting up there! A couple of years ago, you wouldn't catch me EVER playing in front of anyone. Today, I am officially a member of an ensemble that will be starting to play gigs in the near future. Who would of thought, eh? Scary, but exciting at the same time.

Good luck with your playing!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  11:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Rob, I used to worry about playing in front of people, but one day I realized; "I appreciate beginners who are willing to get on stage and make an effort. We are all human, and just want to give something of ourselves. So why should I feel scared? I will just get up and do the best I can, and people will appreciate what I do."
I always find someone in the audience who is smiling, and then I play the song as if I was playing it just for them. After the first song, there are more people smiling, so I play the next song for them... by the third song, I am playing for everyone. It also helps if you talk to your audience before you play, because then everyone already likes you when you hit the first chord.

Hope to see some of you guys at Waikiki next month, or at Georges next summer!
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  09:45:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the encouragement Maggie and Konabob...I'll get there...I just know it. Maggie..very impressive that you're performing now. I look forward to reaching there too. Konabob..I think your approach is great too. I just don't want to wonder "What are they smiling at?...is my zipper down?"..haha. At the Ozzie workshop this weekend, he said something that made a whole lot of sense about messing up in front of people... "You didn't die"...and "everyone will forget about it....you're really not that important".

a hui hou... Rob
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  02:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Here are photos submitted by Pulelehua. Looks like a great time!

Kona Bob

Na La'au Ki'eki'e

Raymond

Kona Bob and Richard

Doug

Kiwini

Kona Bob, Larry, Julie

Kona Bob, Larry, BWOP

Dave and Mark

Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  05:54:12 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Andy. You're the best!

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2005 :  06:38:57 AM  Show Profile
Nice pix, Pulelehua!! Mahalo. I'm glad to see that Peter is playing again.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  12:24:53 PM  Show Profile
Posted them just for you, Dusty! Come north and play at one of these Open Mics. It'd be great to see you both!

Aloha,

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000