Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Thumb pick still "slippery"...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  05:16:58 AM  Show Profile
Probably missed the answers...
on both guitar and uke I still lose my grip (on the Thumb-pick) when I use it...
The Golden Gate and Johnson's are better...
and it's improving...but still insecure...
What am I missing...with Aloha please!
Sensitive middle-aged guy in Colorado.

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  05:48:17 AM  Show Profile
quote:
What am I missing...
Gorilla Snot, available at your friendly music store.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  09:20:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
I would try; Super glue, duct tape, staples, sheet rock screws, in that order

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  09:31:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Maybe the picks are too large for your thumb? I recently started playing with a Fred Kelly Delrin Slick Pick (http://www.fredkellyspicks.com/Slickpick.html). I have not found these to be loose at all. Maybe the opposite problem, too tight? I like them, though. I'm using the heavy or extra heavy.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  11:57:10 AM  Show Profile
I have had really good luck with National brand thumbpicks. I love 'em.

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  1:36:44 PM  Show Profile
Dusty knows picks.

If the pick opening is too small for your thumb, do what Keith and Dusty told me - hold the loop in hot water (on the stove)for a few seconds and mold the soft plastic to your thumb. Should work for slightly large thumb holes too. That is how, Keith told me, Zookies got bent 10, 20 or 30 degrees. I bent the Zookies' hole to fit my thumb very nicely; the Golden Gates, too.

If still too loose, do what Dusty says: Gorillla Snot. It is a real thing advertised in all the best publications. I am sure it has a myriad uses.

Fred Kelly speed picks are what I started out with, because my friend Johnny Faster (so named by Tommy Emmanuel at Jorma's Fur Piece Ranch) uses them. They are great for people who are skilled and experienced and want to flick through a song. They are tough to use if you aren't skilled Andy is certainly skilled, and I keep telling him that. For us regular people, go with whatever Dusty tells you, including Gorilla Snot. Although, my problem has always been too tight (among other things), I can imagine too loose - if I try hard.

YMMV,

Reid
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  05:36:59 AM  Show Profile
Aloha,

You might want to try Herco flat/thumbpicks to solve your problem. They are made of a springy plastic, that is probably the most comfortable thumbpick I have tried, with the best tone too. No slipping because it grips your thumb, but not too tightly.

I use Heavy but want to try X Heavy. They seem thin compared to other picks, but hold up well, and produce a tone that isn't muffled like some of the thicker picks.

The only drawback, is that it is shaped like a flatpick, so there is a large surface to get used to. I never had a problem with it, but someone might.

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  09:49:03 AM  Show Profile
Try get one new thumb la'dat!
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  09:58:29 AM  Show Profile
How about using one of those sticky fabric bandaids on your thumb with the thumbpick over it...

Hey Steve, how's the crush going?

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 10/19/2005 09:59:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  06:02:25 AM  Show Profile
I know this thread is drifting "off mission" but thanks for asking, Rusty.

This could be the best vintage in Central California for twenty years. I am about halfway through crush, working 14-16 hour days, 7 days a week since 9-1, but it is fun and I am still making time to practice guitar each day.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  03:27:20 AM  Show Profile
It's good to see that some folks can still "prioritize". Jus' press, an' crush.
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  07:06:32 AM  Show Profile
Hey Steve

You should add a link to the winery on your profile page. Nice website, and good pic of you, too.

Puna

Edited by - Puna on 10/21/2005 07:07:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  5:04:39 PM  Show Profile
My vote for thumbpicks goes to Fred Kelly Speed Pick. I used to use Golden Gates since they fit my thumb nicely. But when the Speed Pick came along, I felt they popped off the string cleaner and the snug fit was not uncomfortable.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  6:59:47 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm. This sounds like a "Music Gear" thread...least ways, whenever I start one in here, I have to go lookin for it!!

Anyways, I always have a too tight problem. I like Reid's idea...but I am going to look for that hercule pick (or whatever you called it, sounds interesting).

Don't forget Alaska picks..though that may not solve your loosness problem. Look in the Music Gear forum, long thread on this subject already...

Cheers,

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  7:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by slackkeymike

Hmmm. This sounds like a "Music Gear" thread...least ways, whenever I start one in here, I have to go lookin for it!!
Hey, you're right Mike. Hope you can find it again.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  11:12:08 AM  Show Profile
Alaska Picks????!! isn't that what Karl uses up there in the Frozen North?

Aloha Gordon,
Try Pro-Pick's. Very secure & versatile picks.
~slkho
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000