Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Phosphor Bronze Elixirs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  06:14:39 AM  Show Profile
Just strung my Taylor 814Ce with the new (to me) Elixir nano medium Phosphor Bronze strings. Expensive ($14.99), but real boomers. Actually took some getting used to (listening) after using regular nanoweb strings. Play the same, though. Had to tune down to Taro Parch F. The jury is still out.

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  07:42:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
The few people I've talked to that use these strings are also undecided. I love them on a Taylor 614CE. They have more bass than the original nanowebs, and very little squeak. I've been using them for about two months, and love them more and more.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  07:55:53 AM  Show Profile
Terry,
I had just strung them on my Taylor K-22ce before the last L&Ls open mike. I used the lights (highest is 12 not 11). I prefer them over the nanoweb regulars until I slacked to Taro Patch F (too light still). But Taropatch G, G Wahine, Open D, D Wahine, and Keola's C sound just fine. I think I will keep stringing these. The intangible is I THINK I play better with them on (either I am getting better or I sound better). Next time I will get the batch purchase discount.

It has been two weeks and they still sound great with me playing/practicing at least an hour a day.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  12:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Guys, I recently got a freebie set from FQMS (they sent them to all their customers). I have been uncertain about which guitar to try them on. So, maybe you can help me out.

We (Sarah and I)have all the bass we could ever want from our guitars with any brand of strings. We prefer to have nice round, but clear, trebles. If these are bass heavy (especially muddy bass - our guitars can produce clean and crisp bass with our standard John Pearse strings), we'll have problems. So, should I put these on a bright guitar or a warm, resonant guitar?

Squeaking is not a problem; Sarah doesn't squeak (unless she gets herself into trouble :-).

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  2:13:08 PM  Show Profile
I notice the most increase in "output" in the treble strings. My Taylor has weak treble volume with the standard nanos. Part of this is that I went from lights to mediums and I'm tuned down. I like these better than John Pearse strings. After playing Elixirs or a while I can't go back to the uncoated.
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  02:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage
I too just started using the Bronze Elixers. I've been using mixed sets for both types of Nanoeweb strings with good results. I think I end up with more even tension on all 6 strings this way which I like. I buy mediums and replace the 2 middle strings with a 24 and a 32 guage. Its the cheapest way to go (I buy 'em from juststrings.com). The end result is 13/17/24/32/45/56. You could certainly use a lighter guage combo to achieve a looser yet just as even combination. Have fun!

Doug Fitch
fitchdoug @ yahoo.com
www.dougfitchmusic.com
http://youtube.com/user/dougfitchmusic
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  03:18:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Terry. That is exactly what I hoped and I know just the guitar to test it on. It needs new strings,too. Good situation.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  08:28:04 AM  Show Profile
So, I follow up my previous post...

I put the Elixir nanoweb *light* (.12-.53) Phosphor Bronze on my walnut/redwood McCollum and was pleasantly surprised. They were "mellow", but not dull, as the regular Elixirs are. I don't want to use the word "bright", but the Pearse PB lights on this guitar are louder and have more "attack" or "edge" and they last a long time for Sarah and me, too (sometimes 4 or 5 months. We do not corrode guitar strings as some folks do and our climate doesn't affect strings much, except in July and August). The Elixir nanowebs had a way of not resonating much on long slides *up* the neck, say 5th to 9th or 10th or 11th fret, so the slides were not as loud as I would like. But, the new Elixirs are OK, and I won't take them off, but I won't buy them either, except maybe in Summer. YMMV.

See:
http://www.guitarseminars.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000577.html
for individual reactions. The discussion takes place over 5 years!and includes these nanowebs. One thing in that forum is a truism: different guitars like different strings.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Papamonty
Aloha

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2006 :  03:15:06 AM  Show Profile
I have used D'Addario EXP lights and mediums on several guitars I used to own. I liked the warm yet edgy tone but my fingers squeaked too much on the strings despite all efforts to reduce the squeaks. I then tried the Elixir PB Lights on my Martin OM-28 Marquis; very minimal to no finger squeaks!!! There is a brightness, "zing," and smoothness to the Elixirs when compared to the D'Addario EXPs. I am also using Martin SP+ PB (coated) on my Martin SWOMGT; I like the Martin tone but I want to try the Elixir PBs when the strings go dead. And my fingers do squeak on these SP+ strings but not as much on the EXPs.

Jon M
Go to Top of Page

pastorharry
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  6:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit pastorharry's Homepage
I have these on two of my guitars now ,a older Martin D-15 and a new Johnson Carolina JD16 and I love them.I think I've finally found "THE" string! God bless, PH

Isaiah 38:20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000