Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Alhambra Guitars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  4:57:53 PM  Show Profile
http://www.alhambrasl.com/fremp_i.htm

Does anybody know anything about these guitars? A friend from church, ex-military, bought this while in Spain. Recently, left it with me to restring and tune. The wood smells SO good...Spanish Cedar. Chimes sound awsome.

So, what do any of you know?

Mike

Aloha, Mike

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  5:25:53 PM  Show Profile
I've had 2 people who know quite a bit about guitars tell me that these are excellent entry level instruments (i.e. their lower end stuff.) The one I checked out impressed me a lot - excellent feel, good action "out of the box" and a nice Spanish sound. Looked inside and the glue joints were nice and clean. Sounded like a lot of guitar for the bucks.
But you know, you have to check each instrument individually.
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  06:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Another me too post but I agree with RJS. I've head good things about them and the one I played at Guitar Center (don't hate me) was fine for what it is, an excellent entry level guitar. Interesting about the chimes.
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  09:36:17 AM  Show Profile
Well, that is just the issue. I do not want an "entry level" guitar, but I am not ready to go "whole hog" on one yet.

Perhaps I need and intermediate level? Perhaps I need some input as to what might constitute an intermediate Spanish guitar?

Thanks,

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  10:34:14 AM  Show Profile
I can only speak for myself - but the reason I outgrew my "entry level" was that I wanted a "better" tone and a guitar more responsive to tonal shading (timbre) - I also wanted a specific styling, so I went "whole hog"
- One very good way to go is to work with a smaller dealer who has a good trade in policy - don't know where you live -- for example Randy at Fine Fretted Instruments in San Jose will let you apply the full price you pay for one of his guitars towards an upgrade. You can also try a range of instruments to get a feel for them.

If I were going for a non-whole hog classical, I would very seriously consider Kenny Hill guitars. (www.hillguitar.com, I think) very impressive guitars for the $1500 range, Very impressive.

I hear the mid-range Apparicio (not related to the ball player) are very worth their money, butI haven't tried one. I've tried a few different Hill guitars and they all felt great.
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  5:17:08 PM  Show Profile
I just restrung this guitar (yesterday). When does the tuning stabilize? Martin Strings.

BTW, I can see how thumb placement is more important on these types of guitars...

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  6:26:31 PM  Show Profile
Never used Martin
I now use Luthier Blues - stabilize in 2 - 3 days. You have to stretch them some when you put them on. Tug at about 12 fret a couple of times (not hard enough to rip your guitar apart, but a nice slow solid tug - like lifting the string 3 - 4 inches.) Make sure they are neatly wound around the tuners - that sometimes causes problems
Used to use Hense - darn things took 4 - 5 days. Hannabachs take about 3 - 4 days for me.
Wouldn't it be nice to be famous enough to have a roadie to change strings for you?
Go to Top of Page

Bd1
Lokahi

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  1:58:52 PM  Show Profile
Aloha All, A friend just gave me a Eterna Ef-18.It is made by Kaohsiung Yamaha Co. Ltd,Taiwan. Can anyone give amny input? Mahalo,BD1 aka Kouko

BD1
Go to Top of Page

Bd1
Lokahi

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  1:32:56 PM  Show Profile
Auwe,I didn't mean to kill a topic!!! Where did every one go?

BD1
Go to Top of Page

Bd1
Lokahi

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  2:55:32 PM  Show Profile
16 days !!

BD1
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  11:26:18 AM  Show Profile
Hehehe, I forgot about this thread!! So sorry. I still have that Alhambra, took the strings nearly a week to settle down. I think I am going to spring for those Luthier Blues Raymond was talking about. I wish nylons had more "tension"... used to steels. I find myself slipping all over the place!

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000