Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Geared tuners on Soprano Ukelele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Haole with Aloha
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  3:24:52 PM  Show Profile
Aloha All,

My wife has a 1970's Kamaka koa soprano that she has moved around for years and is in pristine condition. She is getting back into playing and I always seem to end up tuning it for her (can you say roadie?). It has the original friction style tuners and I have a very hard time getting exact tuning. I'm considering having geared tuners put on it and have shown it to reputedly the best guitar/stringed instrument tech in Eugene, OR. He recommended Waverly planetary style banjo tuners if I want to do it but has reservations about the instrument being top heavy and then having my wife be unhappy after having drilled out the tuner holes. He suggested that he try to clean up the friction tuners first or perhaps replace them with new ones.

Has anyone installed geared tuners on your ukulele and are you happy with it? If so, what tuners did you use?

Mahalo for any wisdom.

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  4:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Welcome to the patch, Jack. It's good to have you here. Some have used Gotoh Mini tuners on sopranos, which you can check out at www.hanalima.com. You might be able to put them on yourself. That little uke plays really nice the way it is, but I understand why you might change it. I also have an old Kamaka on which I have to finesse the tuning.
I think small geared tuners should work fine, though full-sized Grover style might seem a little big.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Haole with Aloha
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  08:40:09 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Jessie, and thanks for tip and the link. Somehow I knew I would receive some valuable input from you. I just put Pam on a plane to Hilo so have about two weeks for her ukulele to be out of commission. I think I'm going to pursue the Gotoh Mini tuners as you suggest. By the way, your photos on the Kanikapila thread are wonderful. That was a great night and your presence and participation made it even more so. Hopefully our paths will cross again in person one of these days. I'll let you know how things work out with Pam's Kamaka.

Mahalo again,

Jack
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2005 :  06:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Good luck with the project, Jack. You should find the dimensions on the website, and you'll need to see if the headstock is thick enough to handle the new tuners. It's a sweet little uke.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

pjterry
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2005 :  4:16:51 PM  Show Profile
Jessie, I got the Gotoh mini-tuners as you suggested and had them mounted by a highly recommended local luthier. He had to do a bit of grinding and thread re-tapping on the tuner posts because the headstock was slightly too thin but it turned out great. It's still a pleasure to play and now it's a pleasure to tune also.

Thanks for your help,

Jack

Haole with aloha
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000