Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Lilo & Stitch 2 - Stitch Has A Glitch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  06:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message

Anybody catch Disney's Lilo & Stitch 2? I watched it this weekend.

This release went directly to DVD so there was less fanfare than had it gone to the theater first. It's very cool to see an animated film by Disney where the basic story is a local girl on the island of Kaua`i struggling to come up with an original hula for her Kumu and halau. Ok, well then you through in some aliens and Elvis. I personally would have prefered more of the former and less of the latter, but I know that would not be possible without renaming the film "Just Lilo". No complaints.

Dennis and David Kamakahi did a superb slack key guitar/`ukulele arrangement of the song Always. While Uncle Dennis did not write this song, he did do the Hawaiian translation and arranging. Congrats to the Kamakahi's.

Andy

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  07:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I bought this as soon as it came out because I knew that Dennis and David had done an arrangement for it (plus Rachel liked the original). The movie was suprisingly good for a direct-to-DVD release, although not as good as the original. And you're right, it had a very strong underlying Hawaiian theme to it.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 10/11/2005 07:02:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  07:03:26 AM  Show Profile
I saw that at the local rental store and didn't know what to make of it since it had never hit a theater. Is it ever going to be distributed like the original or is it DVD only? I don't keep close track of these things, but it seems unusual to spend molto buckos on making a movie and then never promoting it. I had hoped that an international release, like the first one, would give the Kamakahis and slack key a major boost. The mysteries of Show Biz...

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  07:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

The mysteries of Show Biz...
Indeed. I don't follow Disney but former Chairmam & CEO, Michael Eisner tried transforming Disney into a media colossus and in doing so lost sight of the company's bread and butter - animation.

Thus, the release of Lilo & Stitch was delayed many times. There was probably lack of funding so from a consumer's perpective, I'm glad the DVD finally made it.

I too was hoping for an international release and/or segment on the Kamakahi's and slack key (as was done for hula and Mark Ho`omalu in the original). But still, it's a good thing.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  03:55:08 AM  Show Profile
If I'm not mistaken I think Patrick Landeza might have been involved as well. Patrick ?

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000